2018 Hunting Pictures

I got my buck yesterday before dark. I was fortunate enough to get a chance at a buck I'd had around for a few years, a 5 or 6 year old 10pt that grosses 161.5" Not my biggest but a darn nice buck I was happy to get. I think he was 6 this year. I've seen him for 3 years and he has not changed much in rack size, I think he was 4 when I first spotted him and was still in his prime. I shot him at 370 yards with my Rifles Inc 300 win mag and a 180gr Nosler E tip at 2900fps. The buck was quartering toward me and I shot him right inside the near front quarter, found the on the off side in front of his hip. The bullet performed very well.

Heath buck 2018.jpg

Nice deer! I haven’t deer hunted since 2010, so I bought bonus points for deer and antelope this year, hoping to draw both in Montana next year. What state is your buck from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely some good mass in that fine buck. Picture perfect performance by the E-Tip. I've certainly found them to be an excellent choice in several cartridges in which I use them.

Thanks guys. Shot him in KS. I need to weigh the E tip but it sure looks pretty. I was shocked to keep one in a whitetail honestly but it penetrated a lot of deer before the hide stopped it. The range was on the longer side too so it was slowed down a lot. That elastic hide takes a lot to penetrate with a fully expanded bullet. I'll keep using them.

It never ceases to amaze me to see such deer in KS. I spent the first twenty years of my life in KS and never saw a deer the whole time. Now, it is a destination for hunters. Talk about a conservation success. Deer and turkey are plentiful near my natal home. Just fascinating. Now, if they could just get black bear.

My Dad and Uncle remember those days, before Kansas had deer.

Kansas isn't what it was a few years ago. The EHD outbreak in 2012 hit our area hard and we lost a lot of great genetics. The age class is recovering, but the older bucks aren't what they were. The increase in popularity and pressure is resulting in a lot of young 130-150" bucks with great genetic not reaching the age needed to have the giant racks people associate with Kansas. Those bucks make more mistakes and are easier to kill. That means a lot of bucks with lesser genetics are getting to be the mature and dominant bucks that control an area. Also allowing a lot of technology and feeding has changed the game. Everyone running feeders and concentrating deer made the 2012 outbreak worse I think. Also with Kansas getting so popular there just aren't un-pressured areas anymore so the deer get smart and nocturnal. That said it's still better than a lot of places. Having a gun season outside the primary rut makes for tough hunting and less mortality on the big boys. It lets more bucks hit the age class necessary to be giants and spread those genetics longer. As a resident hunting the land I ranch on and know intimately I seem to average an exceptional deer about every 3-4 years. I usually hunt some during muzzle loader season if I have a good one spotted and every morning and night of the gun season to have that success, plus spend a lot of time with cameras and glass scouting.

This buck I had scouted and watched feed each of the 2 evenings prior to the gun season opening. I saw him the opening evening of gun season at over 800 yards before dark. That was the last sighting of him until last night when I got him. Daylight activity is limited on these bigger ones, it takes a lot of time to be in the right spot when one makes a mistake. That or a lot of luck and sometimes a combination of the two.

DrMike":1mtue6c6 said:
It never ceases to amaze me to see such deer in KS. I spent the first twenty years of my life in KS and never saw a deer the whole time. Now, it is a destination for hunters. Talk about a conservation success. Deer and turkey are plentiful near my natal home. Just fascinating. Now, if they could just get black bear.

I don't know if I want black bear. I know how hard it is to keep raccoons out of stuff, I can't imagine what something that size could tear up!

Congratulations, I love hunting coyotes. I don't get to have giant blood slides on the ice though when I shoot one!

Nice dog! I’m hoping to get me a few of those here in AK this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2,

He apparently has the trick to shooting for easier tracking!
Hope he shares it! LOL

I have seen quite a few bloodtrails over the years, but that has to be one of the best!

I'd say that's for sure! I seem to either be using a little gun with a light bullet that doesn't exit and leaves no blood trail, or a big enough one that even on a slightly off shot they drop in their tracks.

I took this one opening weekend in Nov with my lab pup as my 'assistant'.
6.5x55 Swede, 142 LRAB at a whopping 122 yards.
xEzuk8r.jpg

Took another doe the second weekend, no pics on her, and a Fallow doe the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Again, no pics.

Today was the first time I could get out there since Thanksgiving. My dawn stand was a bust so I took a little hike and stumbled up on this fellow. Same Swede, same load, 150-ish yards. 12 scorable poiints and he'll fit into the freezer just fine. (Lab pup was there but opted to sleep in the truck instead).

GShZfrk.jpg

exNfnbw.jpg

WEIyQ1J.jpg

Beautiful buck! Congrats! Glad to see the Swede still going strong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Impressive headgear, that's for sure. Congratulations on a fine buck and the earlier fine dining you brought home. You've done well.

Still have to get some hamburger for the freezer and, after the season ends, some axis steaks, so, I'll be going on into '19 to make sure the freezer is full.

MC and Bbear- Nice Bucks!! Wish I could get on a coyote....good looking hide there. Heck of a skid mark... What'd ya do...hit him with a 12 ga. :shock: :) Don't know much about bears...but that is a great pic. Looks like fun! CL

Bbear,

Where are you hunting?

I hear that axis deer is some of the finest venison on the planet. It is definitely on my bucket list of animals to hunt, along with Blackbuck.

Have always thought that I would use my 250Ai for that hunt. Obviously my 6.5 Swede would be a great choice as well!

Back