Redfield Illuminator 2-7 Question.

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
Anyone know the history of the Redfield Widefield Illuminator series scopes? I recently acquired a Model Seven stainless in 308 topped with a 2-7 Illuminator. It's not the Accutrac, just standard adjustments with duplex reticle. It has NO country of origin anywhere on the scope. I plan on selling the scope since I have a VX3i 1.75-6 ready to be mounted. I'm trying to find out any info about this Illuminator, so I can represent it accurately.

Any help is appreciated. I'll post it for sale here first.

Thanks!

Thanks AFG. Great article on Redfield. If this scope needed repair, no way would I pay $90 and up along with an 18 month wait. It sure looks like it was quality glass in its day though.

The original Redfield factory closed in 1998.

Recently Redfield, the brand was bought by Leupold.

Redfield scopes are made in the Leupold factory in Oregon.

Same Warranty as Leupold now.

I have the HD5 with a fire dot. Absolutely love it for low light, that tiny adjustable dot marking the intersection is great. Most recently black bear. I’ve never been faster deciding when the right time to squeeze the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After taking some time to research the progression of various Redfield scopes, I've found some specifics on this particular model. The Widefield Illuminator is of 1980's vintge and is USA made. They did make an Ultimate Illuminator later on that was made in Japan. When I look through this scope I see a slight "yellowish" tint but no distortion or focus issues. It's very clear optically, just a bit "yellow." This was intentional by Redfield to aid the shooter to better see the hair color of deer when the animal is either shaded or under a dark canopy like tall timber. You see that today with different colored lenses on sunglasses and shooting glasses.

I'm not going to sell the scope because I can see some dust on one the surface if one of the internal lenses. It also has a few tiny pits in the glass of the same internal lense. Since these can't be serviced under warranty, I don't want to pass along a potential problem to someone else. I have an older 10/22 that it should match up well with.

I can see how these were popular and well favored when new. The contrast and resolution are way ahead of my Leopold Vari-X of the same era.

If someone "must have" it for a special project, PM me, and we can make a plan.

Back