Christmas Dinner?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Come on hunters... 'Fess up... Who's having what for Christmas Dinner?

I was going to serve up a venison roast... BUT... While rummaging around in the freezer I found a forgotten ELK ROAST! :grin: So, it's thawing now, will get it marinating tomorrow, and it will be cooked on Christmas Day.

How 'bout you guys 'n gals?

On holy Eve, I will add leg of roe-deer to the geese.
On 26th, it will be leg of fallow deer.
With dumplings, red cabbage and raspberry-blackberry gravy that I prepared today.
For decoration, there will be pear-halves with cranberry-jam.
HoHoHo
NP
b94718c5cf0ccda22d12816504de5452.jpg
f372e9e1b829a13d670312c9658950b4.jpg

52b817f4f1e7936ed8bbcc8a8a0c13cb.jpg

My son and his girlfriend were home early or Christmas from Texas Guy so we had our dinner already. It was a prime rib that my wife fixed with twice baked potatoes and a broccoli salad.

I'm brining a turkey now, which will be smoked on the Traeger with sausage stuffing. There will be a pork loin with Doctor Mike's special rub that will join it on the Traeger. Then, there will be all the trimmings that are usually associated with the holidays. We'll host the dinner with our daughter and the children seated at the table. A wonderful young woman from Japan has agreed to join us. Perhaps there will be one or two others coming along as well.

Well gosh we are doing the Christmas Story except for the duck no duck my friend who owns the Chinese restaurant won't fix the duck.
Been doing this for a couple of years since the ladies will have the day off and the guys won't have to cook. :)>)

Elk pepperoni sticks are a favorite with the kids, elk Oso Bucco for dinner last night. Prime rib for the main course tomorrow night, with Red Salmon fillets and just a little elk tenderloin for an appetizer.
We'll have four generations: Dad; all my siblings; all of our kids. All of the kids have a significant others and there are some little ones.
Three black labs, two chocolate labs, one yellow lab, two German Shorthairs, Two golden retrievers, one Weimeriener, one Brittany, and a Blue healer.
Should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":t3928vrq said:
Elk pepperoni sticks are a favorite with the kids, elk Oso Bucco for dinner last night. Prime rib for the main course tomorrow night, with Red Salmon fillets and just a little elk tenderloin for an appetizer.
We'll have four generations: Dad; all my siblings; all of our kids. All of the kids have a significant others and there are some little ones.
Three black labs, two chocolate labs, one yellow lab, two German Shorthairs, Two golden retrievers, one Weimeriener, one Brittany, and a Blue healer.
Should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It all sounds wonderful! We feasted on some Salmon a couple nights ago that our friends caught in Alaska and brought home and gave to us. It was fantastic done on the smoker using Alder Wood.

Christmas Cooking has Commenced!

Snacking on smoked Alaskan silver salmon:
JEpdHZAl.jpg

Relying a bit on Eileen Clarke's wonderful "Slice of the Wild" cookbook:
bTLkyWGl.jpg

Elk roast - ready for prep!
z2tptZGl.jpg

Slits filled with sliced garlic cloves. Yet to come; slathering the roast in olive oil, then seasoning with black pepper, minced garlic and a tiny bit of salt. :)
HVGO8sHl.jpg

Shopping for the elk roast:
1UX5KGil.jpg

Shopping for the salmon:
v6WJuu0l.jpg

Merry Christmas All!

And I served it on what might be the rare side, for some. Sure was good!

4YlmsHPl.jpg

We had a traditional ham for Christmas dinner.
Thought I would share with everyone that for Thanksgiving, we made a Moose roast in addition to the Turkey. We were calling it "Moosegiving".

JD338

That looks really good Guy!

My cousin Brian stoped by here with a wonderful Prime Rib! Here he is, with my 'pardner in crime' Sheena preparing it for our oven. The menu consisted of twice baked potatoes, butternut squash, mashed turnip, hot yeast rolls and a side dish of horseradish dip for the meat. Brain had also
Brought along a lovely 2012 Red from "Two Vines" Metlot/Cab.
That was tremendously popular!20181223_150701~2.jpg
20181223_170512.jpg20181224_111749.jpg
The mincemeat pie was later consumed; in heaping quantity of embarrassing portions........ With steaming cups of Canadian tea........

Back