338 RUM Overhaul

SJB358":8ebipfkc said:
Great shooting. How fast does that load run Charlie?

For some reason I can't locate my info on that particular load. It's probably because I normally shoot the 250AB and 250 Bergers. The 200AB bullets were "on hand" because I load them for my buddy in his 338 Lapua, he is recoil sensitive.

My current load uses either bullet above with 89.0 RE26 in a Nosler case with Fed 215M primers and goes across the screens at 2,995 ft/sec. Both shoot between 1.25" & 1.75" at 400yds. The Berger shoots slightly tighter than the AB. The 250 AB dropped two bull moose with no problem. I highly recommend the 250 AccuBond for hunting. The Berger has only shot paper.

As soon as it gets warm I'll be loading up some 236 Hammer Hunters to see how they shoot. If they can hold 2" at 400 yds then they will be used on our 2019 moose trip.

Nice shooting Charlie. I love that LSS stock and was originally going to have it pillar bedded. (This is what I did with my 280AI). I decided to go with the HS Precision Sporter Stock because
1. I do like the look and feel of the HS Precision Sporter
2. It's about 2 lbs lighter than the LSS stock
3. HS Precision Sporter Stock is more stable than the LSS
I'm looking forward to getting this project completed so I can start working on my load development.

JD338

I only bought the 338 RUM because I had a hankering for something "bigger". With whitetails being the largest game animal that I was hunting at the time, I really didn't need it. However, I enjoyed shooting it so much that I eventually shot the factory bbl out.

In its current form, it is one of the most accurate large bore rifles that I own. It was a no-brainer taking it along on my first moose hunt. I had a self imposed limit of 500yds on that hunt and ended up taking a 15pt bull at 54yds. :roll: Go figure.

I dumped my 300 RUM because it was just too much of a good thing but held on to the 338 RUM. :lol:

Tom Houghton must have really upped his game. I had one of the first Remington 700 varmint synthetics in the early 90’s that wore the HS stock from the factory in .223. It split down the pistol grip. Friend had one in .22-250. Same. Glad to see that’s no longer a thing. They sure look good and the price is right.

Back