147 ELD M 2775 FPS 4 jugs

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Decided to run one of these into the jugs at 25 yards from my 6.5 CM. Interestingly it is one of the bullets I have NOT ran into jugs before I hunted with them, but I kinda got the reverse idea of what they were going to do since they were blowing right through good sized deer. While they aren't some heavy duty bullet, they are certainly plenty for any ol buck deer. The jacket and core were found in the bottom of #4 jug with a big ol dent in the back of it. I'll take it!

Defiantly more than enough for deer sized game.

JD338

Excellent test, Scotty. No doubt that'll work on deer. Man, I've got to work with that Creed.

Just reaffirms what the Swede knew all along!
Long 6.5 bullets penetrate very well.

Think I will stick to the 143 gr ELD-X for hunting though.

Blkram":2c69bgot said:
Just reaffirms what the Swede knew all along!
Long 6.5 bullets penetrate very well.

Think I will stick to the 143 gr ELD-X for hunting though.

I’ve got a box of them I haven’t gotten to yet, but after seeing a handful of deer take the dirt nap via the 147’s it might be a bit longer :lol:

Now the Swede, that gets a steady diet of 140 ABs.... talk about a cartridge that thinks it’s a 270 Winchester :mrgreen:

How does this compare to the 143 ELD-X?

I have to wonder- even though the "M" is a match bullet and the "X" is a hunting bullet...is there really that much difference in them? It doesn't appear to be much...

Comparing these with 2 cow elk shot and 140gr Bergers with 2 cow elk and 1 cow moose. I would take the 147's any day for on game performance. That is a rather small sample size but the performance is drastically different between the 2. The 2 shot with 147's took a dirt nap instantly. The 3 animals shot with Bergers all stayed on their feet for quite a while after being shot. The moose took 3 rounds but they rarely act like they are hit no matter what they are shot with.

hodgeman":2c23h87w said:
How does this compare to the 143 ELD-X?

I have to wonder- even though the "M" is a match bullet and the "X" is a hunting bullet...is there really that much difference in them? It doesn't appear to be much...

I’ll try to load some 143 ELD X’s in the morning. One to chrono and one to put into jugs.

IdahoCTD":2c23h87w said:
Comparing these with 2 cow elk shot and 140gr Bergers with 2 cow elk and 1 cow moose. I would take the 147's any day for on game performance. That is a rather small sample size but the performance is drastically different between the 2. The 2 shot with 147's took a dirt nap instantly. The 3 animals shot with Bergers all stayed on their feet for quite a while after being shot. The moose took 3 rounds but they rarely act like they are hit no matter what they are shot with.

That’s great info Nathan. I know the deer we took with them were clean and had exits and were shot through leg bone. Not moose nor elk but the performance was good enough to tell me they aren’t blow up sorta bullets.

Back