Not happy with 2018 Deer Season

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
This particular Deer Season has been very different for me. To start off 2018 here in Tennessee had done nothing but RAIN it seems at least 4-days per week, continuing that pattern into the hunting season with windy conditions. Secondly I'm a member of a 1400 acre hunting lease that has NO ACORNS this year, DRASTICALLY affecting deer sightings, even though the surrounding neighboring properties have food plots and we hunt near them, still hardly any deer.

I did manage to get an 8-point buck, which I'm grateful for but trying to get a doe to help fill the freezer has been nearly impossible. I blame the acorn crop not being present. Last couple years we had a bumper crop of acorns and lots of deer. Been a member here for 8-yrs. never have witnessed this before. We have a 5-day private land only antlerless season that started today and runs till this Friday. Should be back out there this week before it ends. Got to keep trying, better than sitting at home. :wink: FYI hunting in the rain has never bothered me, just 20 mph winds in a tree stand aren't my cup of tea. :shock:

Don

Hi Don,

Sorry to hear it’s been rough sledding.
One of my trees would sway in a 10mph wind, thankful I had sturdier options.

My season was weird too. Saw zero bucks during rifle, well, one button buck that was chasing a hot doe..

I did have highlights. Helped a new hunter (4 years) harvest his first deer. Talk about a joyful euphoric young man!
I heard his cross bow fire, and I heard the bolt strike, and heard it take off running. He got excited and hit it passthru on the last rib and a half..so mostly liver/stomach short, no blood trail, but we found it about 140 yards away. My favorite text from him...
Will I ever stop shaking? It was 23f with a 15mph wind, then add hitting your first deer, told him he’s supposed to shake a long time, now be quiet and reload, you might get a crack at number 2... [emoji3]

Best Wishes Don!

Anterless in Wayne,Oakland, and Macomb counties runs til 1/31. Too many deer in Detroit metro. Private land only..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks as if this Wed. and Thursday I will get back out there. Anything is possible. I enjoy being out hunting, the experiences along the way are good therapy for the mind and soul.

It's why we call it hunting and not shooting!

Don

Don, we'll be pulling for you as you go back out. There are seasons like the one you described, but then there are the others.

Don it has been that way all up and down the east coast this year with heavy rain and wind that would turn a wood lot or forest into a widow maker with blow downs and broken limbs flying. Higher then average temps have been a problem also. Last year we had a bumper crop of acorns but not this year so feed has been a factor also and for the most part they have been more nocturnal then usual since they have to feed out in the open fields where they are more susceptible to predators and hunters.
What days I did get out when it wasn't raining the wind was blowing and I never saw a hair of a deer where I could shoot one.

Dr Mike,
I totally agree!

Truck Driver,
Exactly! That's what I've been experiencing right there.

Don

Update on my season.
Today was the last day for me to hunt as the Special 5-day Antlerless Only Season ends tomorrow.
I actually saw 3-Doe today but couldn't get a clear shot and that's how it goes sometimes. Anyway,
I did hunt 11-days this season, I'm grateful that I could.

Time to put away the hunting gear and clothes, then finalize on some loads in the off season. :wink:

Don

Don, sorry that you didn't score a doe. But, at least you tagged a buck. That usually is the more difficult of the two. Can your hunting lease put in food plots of their own? That might help in future years. Dan

Hey Dan,
We have had some food plots in past years, nothing done in the last two years though. I just contacted the manager of our lease stating I'd throw in some money for seed, gas or whatever if he would consider it for next season. Otherwise I'm thinking of renting a rototiller and puting some small areas near my stands.

What is the best seed that's the easiest to plant that deer like?

Don

Clover is easy and they like it, but you’ll want some brassicas and tubers for the later months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DON":31on1wy5 said:
Hey Dan,
We have had some food plots in past years, nothing done in the last two years though. I just contacted the manager of our lease stating I'd throw in some money for seed, gas or whatever if he would consider it for next season. Otherwise I'm thinking of renting a rototiller and puting some small areas near my stands.

What is the best seed that's the easiest to plant that deer like?Don

Don, I employ a planting scheme that gets me two crops with one "plowing". First I have had the soils in all areas of interest tested by the local Soil and Water Conservation District to know what I need in terms of lime and fertilizer. Then when the ground is dry in the summer I plow and fit up some ground in August. I usually apply a lot of lime and some fertilizer according to recommendations I have received. Then in mid to late August, Labor Day at the latest, I broad cast and disk in "Forage Oats" or "Winter Oats" as they would be generically known. The oats germinate and grow three to six inches. The deer love them. These oats are frost resistant and stay green until the ground freezes solid. I have had clover and winter oats food plots side by side and watched deer walk right through the clover and go to the winter oats and paw the snow off them to eat them. Also turkeys.

Then in the spring when the frost makes the ground honey combed I "frost seed" with ladino clover. You can also seed the clover with the oats but you can NOT disk the clover seed in with the oats. You have to sow the clover seed after you have disked in the oats. I often do both, plant clover seed with the oats and also frost seed in the spring. In fact, I frost seed all of my clover plots each spring to replaced any killed off clover. I have some that are over five years old and still going strong.

Later in late spring or early summer once the clover is up (and the grass), I spray the clover plot with a grass selective herbicide to kill the grass but not the clover. I spray with the grass selective herbicide every year. Also, in the second and alternating years I spray the clover plots with a broad leaf selective herbicide to kill the weeds but not the clover. You have to be careful with this type of herbicide as it can kill the clover if applied when the clover is too small or if too much is applied.

So, in summary:
1. Test the soil and lime and fertilizer accordingly.
2. Plant winter oats, in mid to late August.
3. Frost seed clover when the ground is honeycombed due to frost in the spring.
4. Spray with selective herbicides.
5. Put up trail cameras and watch the action.

Naturally, there are many, many products on the market and the advertising makes them all sound great. But, growing food plots is a bit like picking a cartridge to hunt with. You can have success with almost any cartridge if you execute a good shot. You can have success with almost any food plot if you prepare the ground, plant the seed, and kill the weeds correctly.

Dan

NYDAN is spot on with the ladino clover . I use winter wheat oats mix as wheat is better than oats after it gets cold Here . If you have enough acres available plant turnips separate if not over seed wheat with them . Another hint is if space allows leave a rough zone between bedding area and plot and put stand up over looking it as older deer hang up close to plots until almost dark.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

truck driver":2x27q7zc said:
Don it has been that way all up and down the east coast this year with heavy rain and wind that would turn a wood lot or forest into a widow maker with blow downs and broken limbs flying. Higher then average temps have been a problem also. Last year we had a bumper crop of acorns but not this year so feed has been a factor also and for the most part they have been more nocturnal then usual since they have to feed out in the open fields where they are more susceptible to predators and hunters.
What days I did get out when it wasn't raining the wind was blowing and I never saw a hair of a deer where I could shoot one.

Yep, pretty much the story here too..Rain, wind swirling, and not a lot of acorns. There was 8 of us a deer camp, and only 2 killed a buck that week.

We've had 2 in a row with the first winter type temperatures and high winds falling in the beginning of rifle season and hanging on for the duration. Kind of holes up the deer in tight cover and puts a damper on the rut activity. You are not alone. Tag soup here last November

Well, it stinks when we have situations that are similar. BUT!For now I'm going to head to the hunt lease soon to look over some areas, maybe relocate a few stands, trim out some shooting alleys,
buy some more trail cams, work on some loads for the 30-06 etc.

You know, all the off season stuff we get ourselves into once the season ends! :roll:

Don

Back