The Verdict on E-Tip Bullets???

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
Probably a re-run of some previous thread but I didn't find much with a fast search.

Comparing the same weight and caliber E-tip and AccuBond bullets, are there "normally" load options
one can find to duplicate velocities in the two (or close) without undue pressure or copper fouling?

I'm totally ignorant about non-lead based bullets but this one "reads well" in many hunting reports.

Thanks in advance for any opinions based on personal experiences.
God Bless
Steve

I have not used them yet. We have quite a few people in the forum that use them regularly. I think they are an alloy not solid copper, similar to the alloy use in BT, AB, and Partitions.

I don’t recall anyone poking at copper fouling.

Maybe the additional post will trigger some experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. Thanks.
I think the E-Tips and Hornady GMX both use gilding metal (copper and zinc mix but mostly copper) and are said to have less fouling.

The bulk are longer than the lead core versions of similar weight and some consider them "capacity thieves" but without some in hand to compare I was wondering more on the lines of the possible bullet to barrel contact increase......or how it seems to appear on paper at least.
I'm sure the difference is barely noticeable but it doesn't take much of a change to affect pressure.

I see Nosler recommends starting lower when working loads than you normally would.
I simply wondered how such ended up and if the "loss" in any velocity was a wash when the higher BC that this type of bullet is labeled with comes into play.

I'll find out in time.
God Bless and thanks for the reply.

Steve

I believe 6mm Remington (David) has used the E-Tips, or perhaps it was his son?

I've laid in a small supply of them, but haven't started loading them yet. Have the 100 gr 25 cal, and the 168 gr 30 cal to try. Just a few boxes of each.

My prior experience with the all-copper Barnes TSX was mixed. Mostly good. Got quite a bit of barrel fouling from the 100 gr Barnes TSX @ 3340 fps from my 25-06, but that was a rough, brand new Remington barrel. Not a good combo for bore fouling! The 168 gr version at much more modest velocity from my 308 Win (nice Krieger barrel) fouled very lightly, about the same as jacketed bullets from that rifle.

I'm expecting good things from the E-Tip when I get around to trying them.

Guy

6mm Remington - 90 gr. E-tip in a Ruger MKII with a 22" barrel at about 3150 fps if I remember correctly. That is what my son uses in his 6mm. It shoots good and is certainly effective on game. He has taken 3 antelope, a nice buck mule deer, and a large (500 pound) cow elk all with one shot. No bullets have been recovered yet. The elk was 350 yards broadside. The bullet entered tight behind her right shoulder and angled forward just slightly and exited the center of her left shoulder! She staggered about 20 yards and dropped. Pretty darn good performance and it appears the bullets in each case expanded nicely. I have shot the E-tips into gallon water jugs from 25-100-200-300-& 400yards. I have not yet captured one at 500 yards. They penetrated, expanded, and retained bullet weight quite nicely. I think the E-tips are a great bullet.

I have not used them in any of my rifles only because I have great loads worked up already with Partitions and Accubonds. I really like them as well. I have not noticed bad copper fouling or anything with these bullets.

David

A thought on the eTips and monos.
Generally it seems most run the next weight down with them versus traditional lead cores. For example, in a 7mm that usually runs 140-150 gr many run a mono 120.
I ran the 100 mono (both eTip and TTSX) in my 257 Weatherby with excellent results versus running the 115-120 normally. The extra speed generated by the lighter bullet seemed to allow the mono to perform very well.
Just a thought.

A point I understand as well. A 115-120 grain E-tip in .277 is on my "watch for" list but I'm not holding my breath.
In .277 they jump from 85 gr to 130 and, IMO, there is a gap that needs to be filled.

On the GMX they do have a 100 gr and 130 grain but, for some reason, the 100 grain version does not follow the same pattern of the other gilding metal bullets and even though it IS advertised as longer than the NAB 100 grain....it's BC is advertised at .274 while the NAB 100 grain is advertised at .323. I have wondered if that was a typo that no one fixed or what? ALL other gilding metal bullets are longer and have a higher BC than any of the standard lead core bullets of the same weight. I might have to test a few out and see what's what with that but ......again, a 115 grain or close would be something I'd grab for testing. YMMV

Picky ol' fart, eh? LOL

God Bless
Steve

Just FYI, Barnes has a 95, 110 and 130 in 277
That 110 may be what you're looking for?

Worth trying for sure.........but being "old school" solid copper bullets still makes my cleaning rod nervous.

As I said, ignorant.......but kinda bullheaded too?

Not much I hate worse than copper fouling but many report having little problems in good barrels too.

God Bless
Steve

Before the grizzly hunt, I was looking for a deeper penetrating 30-06 load and did my workups with 180 & 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Considered the 220 gr Nosler Partitions too as I'd tested them years before.

Also got to thinking about the boxes of 168 gr Nosler E-Tips I had just sitting there under the loading bench... I know the wonderful penetration that mono-metal bullets usually have, and I thought seriously about loading those things up for the bear hunt. I think it would have worked just fine.

The other hunter in camp had his 7mm Rem mag, and mistakenly grabbed his 140 gr Barnes ammo... Killed his grizzly just fine. He told me that he thought he had his 160 gr ammo, and only realized afterwards that he'd killed the bear with the same ammo he uses for pretty much everything...

I also shot two or three mule deer with the 100 gr Barnes TSX years ago, using my 25-06, and penetration was impressive. I think the mono-metal bullets are well worth a look.

Guy

From my experience with Barnes years ago with the blue coated XLC’s you want to run a step lighter than what you traditionally use with lead core bullets. The mono’s are longer and have more bearing surface for starters as it takes more material to equal the weight. So, a 130 mono will likely be as long as a 150 lead core in say a 270. Perhaps longer. Also, as others have stated the higher velocity helps with expansion. At least with Barnes. No experience with e-tips. Also they penetrate like nobody’s business which is usually a good thing. unless you are trying to catch one.

350JR":2xvu31kj said:
A point I understand as well. A 115-120 grain E-tip in .277 is on my "watch for" list but I'm not holding my breath.
In .277 they jump from 85 gr to 130 and, IMO, there is a gap that needs to be filled.

God Bless
Steve
117 Hammer Hunter
3300fps in my 270 Win with H4350

It performed very well on antelope for my son last fall, and I think will again this year. Steve (Hammer Bullets) has used it on elk with no problems.

Steve, what is the perceived advantage of the e-tip bullet over the AB. I am wondering why you are even asking? I have seen stellar performance from the AB, and less than stellar from the mono bullets i have used on elk. I have not specifically used the e-tip.

No real "advantage" other than when compared, gilding metal bullets of the same weight have a higher BC.

Most perceive BC strictly in how much change in trajectory there MAY be. That is NOT a huge concern to me.

I look almost totally at impact velocity differences.

Trajectory can be learned. Controlling what bullet used and what weight/BC each has and the velocity I can push it to.........that is another story. It's mostly pure "mechanics".

Some may bring us what is "needed". "Need" has no part in any equation for what a particular person uses.
80 percent of the things we have in our lives are not needed.

I'ts all in what one WANTS, therefore opinions will naturally vary. None are incorrect.

I'd try to take NOTHING away from the NAB. Ever.

God Bless
Steve

To make things perhaps clearer, my original question about comparing same weight version is only to find experiences in how they compare........velocity wise.

If so, then lighter gilding metal bullets, of similar BC of the heavier lead core bullets should be able to share similar velocities of lead core bullets of THEIR weight class.

I will find out, in time, but was curious of other's experiences as far as load velocity comparisons BUT would also wager that in another rifle/caliber........all will not be equal.

Thanks for all replies.
God Bless
Steve

350JR":3gabp16h said:
To make things perhaps clearer, my original question about comparing same weight version is only to find experiences in how they compare........velocity wise.

If so, then lighter gilding metal bullets, of similar BC of the heavier lead core bullets should be able to share similar velocities of lead core bullets of THEIR weight class.

I will find out, in time, but was curious of other's experiences as far as load velocity comparisons BUT would also wager that in another rifle/caliber........all will not be equal.

Thanks for all replies.
God Bless
Steve

Nosler loading data does include E-Tip along with other bullets same weight and only warning I've read is you always begin with start load. I shoot 270 but I've never used 130gr AB/E-Tip.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/270-winchester/

You should achieve similar velocity with E-tips as you would with other bullets. Sometimes, with less powder due to the increased bearing surface/bullet composition.

I switched from 140 accubonds, to 140 e tips in my 7mm-08. I've been able to get very similar results, in terms of velocity, by just going with a longer length. Both loads are running about 2700fps with H 4895 and both are accurate. The AccuBond is at 2.75" and the e tip is at 2.775"

Good luck!

I used the Nosler factory 7mm08 140 grain E-tip ammo last fall on mule deer at 310 yds and cow elk at 370 yds. It was on sale at SPS for $25/box and when they had 10% off it came out to $22.50b box which was too hard to pass up so I ordered several boxes.

It chronographed 2,770 fps out of my rifle.

Re performance, the mule deer was shot bedded, we heard the hit and it rolled its head side to side. But then got up and ran 30-50 yards downhill, I took another shot, hit high and spined him. After he expired, we retraced his tracks up to his bed and found a chunk of lungs he had blown out about 20 yards from where he fell. Surprised he got up out of his bed but sometimes deer do crazy things.

The cow elk was hit behind the front leg and bullet exited the other side, the cow tipped over within what seemed like 10-15 seconds and rolled downhill. Nice big hole through the lungs, I didn’t get a picture of the lungs but did get a good pic where you can see the entrance.

mwess1113":15puu421 said:
I used the Nosler factory 7mm08 140 grain E-tip ammo last fall on mule deer at 310 yds and cow elk at 370 yds. It was on sale at SPS for $25/box and when they had 10% off it came out to $22.50b box which was too hard to pass up so I ordered several boxes.

It chronographed 2,770 fps out of my rifle.

Re performance, the mule deer was shot bedded, we heard the hit and it rolled its head side to side. But then got up and ran 30-50 yards downhill, I took another shot, hit high and spined him. After he expired, we retraced his tracks up to his bed and found a chunk of lungs he had blown out about 20 yards from where he fell. Surprised he got up out of his bed but sometimes deer do crazy things.

The cow elk was hit behind the front leg and bullet exited the other side, the cow tipped over within what seemed like 10-15 seconds and rolled downhill. Nice big hole through the lungs, I didn’t get a picture of the lungs but did get a good pic where you can see the entrance.

Nothing to complain about there at all. I tried some 168's in my sons 300 Wby, 150's in the Mashburn and 168's in my 300 WSM, 100's in my 25-06 as well. All of them shot pretty darned well.

Like Guy, I should work up a load and hunt with the darned things, I think they expand and hold onto to the front end a bit better than a TTSX, but either bullet seems to be real good for heavy game and it seems like you need a truck load of animal to stop them.

Back