Which one, or another option

Brinky72":2qzb6lvm said:
I’m settled on three calibers for my permanent stable. A 6.5 Creedmoor T3 superlite SS (on it’s way and replacing my Savage 6.5) This will be my primary deer hunting rifle and will handle my lighter duties as Michigan allows .269” and smaller for night hunting coyotes. I’m having an ‘81 vintage Rem 700 BDL in 270 rebarreled to 35 Whelen possibly AI. That’ll be my thumper. Currently my third is a Ruger Hawkeye that wears a E.R. Shaw 24” 280AI barrel. I love it and it shoots and the 280AI is everything I’d want and need . It works well as a primary or backup deer rifle to my 6.5. Only winch is it’s not as light as I like. Fully done up with four in it and five on the carrier it’s a smidge under ten pounds. I’m in decent shape and take care of myself at 6’2”/215 but I would like to go lighter weight in the same caliber.
So my three replacement options I have to consider are; Kimber Mountain Ascent at 5lbs 10 oz. Montana X3 at 6 lbs 15oz or a Nosler 48 Liberty at a whopping 7.5 lbs. Still lighter ! Looking to keep it at around $2k give or take. How do these compare as far as accuracy,reliability, etc. The important stuff. Not that just under ten is heavy to hunt with in a blind or even still hunt with but I averaged 6 miles a day last year and knocked over one about three miles back. You feel the extra weight when you’re dragging and extra 200 lbs. behind you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My little brother and my Old Goat hunting partner picked up Kimber SubAlpine 280 Improved from Cabelas for 1250.... you can’t build or buy much better than that for that money and they are twisted 1-9. Really a lot of rifle for the money. Should be 7.5lbs or less scoped with a 20 ounce scope. It’s making me wonder why I don’t have one myself.

cloverleaf":193f8u9v said:
If you enjoy the 280AI so much can you find a lighter stock for the hawkeye? Just a thought....CL

They don’t make them. McMillan won’t do an EDGE fill for Rugers for some reason so your stuck with a 2lb stock for the most part.

I put a MKII Classic on one of my Ruger Hawkeyes and it’s about 7lbs 13 ounces scoped and with a couple rounds in it. Not heavy, but the steel Ruger rings and heavy stocks don’t help them much.

Great rifles though.

At 9.7 lbs. I’m sure it’s all the little things. It’s wearing a standard weight (for a Hawkeye) 24” barrel from E.R. Shaw SS. Likely some there. The stock is 2 lbs. Some there. Scope is a SWFA 6X MOA quad in aluminum Vortex rings and sitting on a Warne 20 MOA rail. Some there so it all adds up. Plus leather sling five in a side saddle and four in the belly. I really shouldn’t complain as 20 years ago that was acceptable weight. I’ll just suck it up for awhile. It’s solid and shoots.
I am glad to hear no complaints about the Kimber or Montana. I’m thinking it will be a flip of a coin when the time comes.

IdahoCTD":j85qitg9 said:
For around 2k I'd see if Christensen makes a rifle chambered in 280AI or Seekins. Personally I'd suck it up and have one built to the specs you want though.
I did see the Christensen Ridge Line. It looks really nice and just under $2K. A possibility for sure. Didn’t see anything in 280AI from Seekins though. Maybe I missed it.

Northern Firearms (on Gunbroker) has the Kimber Subalpine in .280AI for $1200. Get it and a lighter scope for trekking and keep your Ruger as a "Beanfield Rifle". :) Go ahead and have the Whelen Ackleyed too, its a better looking round when done. :) Also, use the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip in your Creed for deer. :) There, fixed it for you, ha.

I’m working on 129 ABLR’s right now for the Creedmoor and, will just suck it up with the weight of the 280AI. I guess I’ll just lose a couple pounds off myself before season and make sure to take my morning constitutional before I go out. That should lighten my load. I figure if I plan ahead and use the heavy for a mostly sitting day and the Superlite for my walking days I’ll be set until I get both in ultra light dress. I am a devout hand loader and AI shoulders have never been a complication so, I may go that route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back