45 Long Colt

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
I’ve been after the rifles pretty hard the last few years and frankly it’s starting to get a little stuffy. I’ve been lusting after a new 45LC/ACP convertible Blackhawk (sorry, resident clergymen[emoji1]), but I ended up finding a used one. Not exactly what I wanted, little longer barrel, but close enough. It’s not here yet but I’ve got some dies and brass on the way for LC mode. I’ve got ACP dies and ammo.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for the care and feeding of my new hog leg? I’m gonna work my way up to some bear loads with 335 hard cast, but probably not going to be my first outing. I’ll plan on running some 45 ACP through first to get a feel for it. I can’t say as I’ve ever “worked up” pistol loads.

Like a kid before Christmas[emoji1]

My only input for the 45 Long Colt is.....Don’t go chasing 454 loads. The 45 Long Colt is quite capable of doing good things at 45 Long Colt pressure. In fact hard cast bullets perform better at sensible velocities rather than “as hard as you can push them “ speeds.

Look up the John Linebaugh article on the 45 Colt. It has loads with heavy bullets for Ruger guns. His advice to a friend was..."300 grains, going 1100fps, will take anything". I'm pretty sure that's true. My 5 Shot Bisley will get that to 1500fps, but it isn't necessary or that fun to shoot any more.

I've got my Ruger running 300 gr. At 1300fps. Nice thing about the LC can load it down to ACP ballistics. One of my favorites for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My youngest son has one of those Blackhawks with two cylinders.

He keeps the 45 ACP cylinder in it most of the time 'cause he knows he can always find 45 ACP ammo of mine to mooch! :mrgreen:

Nice guns. You will likely be pleased.

Guy

5shot":9imz9ifc said:
Look up the John Linebaugh article on the 45 Colt. It has loads with heavy bullets for Ruger guns. His advice to a friend was..."300 grains, going 1100fps, will take anything". I'm pretty sure that's true. My 5 Shot Bisley will get that to 1500fps, but it isn't necessary or that fun to shoot any more.

I couldn’t imagine a better black bear pistol. I had a Taurus Tracker SS 44 Mag that I loaded 240 gr JSP’s for. I believe they were mid range loads and they performed well on bear and deer at pistol range (under 50 yards). A 45 Colt loaded with 300 grain bullets would make an ideal woods pistol and take anything you’d run into without a doubt. Enjoy.

5shot":uyoccfye said:

That’s a good article. Some strong opinions...from a gunsmith? Imagine that![emoji1]

The 5 shot Bisley is a .454, correct?

I read a lot about chambers and forcing cones needing reamed for shooting cast accurately in the new Rugers. Cast is where I want to be and I also want to learn about casting bullets for it. This of course is another excuse to get some more tools which is fine with me...but I’m gonna shoot the thing first.

My 5 Shot is a Colt. When you go to long bullets, the OAL between the 2 is the same, but You don't have to have a stubby nose with the Colt. The OAL is what really controls the pressure, since it dictates the powder capacity. When you load these guns at 50K, you are putting in as much H110 as you can, without compression. I never ran mine full throttle, and I never will. I was several grains below max and it was more than I would ever need. Couldn't imagine the recoil at max.

30K loads get you really close to 50K velocity, with a lot less powder and no wrist problems.

Linebaugh does have his opinions, but he has done tons of testing, so at least there is experience in what he says. Ross Seyfried articles are great ones to read as well. Ross is the one who really got me bent on getting a 5 shot gun.

BTW - I have cast bullets (and molds) all the way up to 350 grains. Let me know if you want to try a few.

I’m not a huge recoil fan. I’d imagine the Ruger safe stuff will be just fine.

Thanks for the offer on the slugs. I appreciate it.

I have always wanted a 45LC, but if I get one, then I have to get a Marlin 1894 to go woth it too!
It is too bad we can't hunt with our handguns here in the north country!

Blkram":35c9glg4 said:
I have always wanted a 45LC, but if I get one, then I have to get a Marlin 1894 to go woth it too!
It is too bad we can't hunt with our handguns here in the north country!
Why would you get the Marlin, when you could have a Henry? ;)
49827661_1973395809422795_3330808663454515200_n.jpg

I’ve got a Henry .22 and my buddy just got a .357 All Weather. Nice rifle.

If you want some fun loads 8-9 gr of Trail Boss w an Oregon Trail 250. 800 fps or so and very accurate. No big recoil either.
I run 4227 for bigger loads. Works well but I think they’ve discontinued 4227. I use it for 250 jacketed up to the 335 HC.
No issues shooting lead through mine so far at all and I’ve probably shot 800-1000 through it. I like a 45 Colt.
Mine is a 7.5 barrel.

I have 2 bottles of Trailboss and some 230 Berry’s plated. Thanks for that suggestion. Figure I’ll fill with Trailboss to the base of the seated bullet.

Finally took possession last night after my FFL tortured me most of the day by not picking it up from the PO until afternoon. Bonus was he had 5 boxes of ammo he sold me very reasonably. [emoji106]. Very robust, as expected. Ended up ordering a custom Kenai Chest rig from Gunfighters, Inc. after thinking about how wet it is here I chose that over the all leather Diamond D which I like the looks of better. Also a Triple K hip holster on the way. I’ll measure the cylinders today and see if they need reamed. Hope to test it too.

I ended up getting cylinder and forcing cone reamers from 4D. The cylinders were tight on all. Very consistent on the ACP but it took 3 different pilots on the LC. The throat cleaned up with the 11 degree cutter quite easily. My 230gr Unique loads were all over the place, the ACP loads with Bullseye are very accurate and the 335 HC cut clover leaves at 25 yards although the recoil is pretty stiff with Lilgun powder. The Triple K holster fits very well, the strap is a little tight but it’s getting better.

Ready for Spring/Summer!

c848f9704024b9a19e9a796824537aa9.jpg

Ok, so this is happening. Really starting to like the 45 Colt.

Back