35 cal Accubond, Speer, Hornady and Sierra (updated)

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Did some shooting today and somehow managed to recover 3 bullets. By some kind of a fluke I had the perfect size Hemlock log behind my target that these bullets just made it through and bounced off the logs in behind. We found them laying on the ground.

200 gr AccuBond - 158 gr (79%) 0.608" diameter - fired from a 35 Whelen
180 gr Speer Hot Cor - 134.5 gr (74.7%) 0.624" diameter - fired from a 358 Win
225 gr Sierra BT - 82 gr (36.4%) 1.183" diameter - mostly jacket - fired from a 358 Win

Any of those will get the job done, Gerry. Good recovery on your part. I have used the 225 grain Sierra in my 35 Whelen with good success. I never loaded it for a hunt with any of the 358s I've owned. No reason why it shouldn't work, however.

DrMike, I would have no issues with the Sierra BT and even stuck one into a wounded bear that was stopped immediately. I would probably avoid a shoulder bone on a moose but other than that I would still hunt them with the Sierra's.

Gil, should have been in the 2500-2600 fps range since I was at a higher charge weight so the impact velocity should be around 2100-2200 fps. I really want to find a great load with them and then see what they do on game. Considering it's excellent reputation I expect great things from them on deer and bear.

The 180gr Speer FP was my go to bullet in my 350Jr wildcat (350mag shortened to give me 358 Win capacity)
Velocities around 2600 fps from the muzzle hitting deer under 100 yards was impressive, IMO.

I shot four before selling the rifle and my buddy has over 20 now with his. Broadside ribcage shots gave either 10-20 yard staggers or "bang flop". Two of mine hit the ground so fast I didn't know where they went. Both were laying on their bellies. Didn't even roll on their side.

Oddly (maybe) the one that ran the furthest (25 ish yards) was a quartering to buck that blew the snot out of the right shoulder and the bullet ended up just under the skin on the left ham. Perfect mushroom even after leaving a fist hole entrance through the shoulder (last time I tried THAT).

Buddy has used both the 220 grain and the 180. The 220s give a little more movement after the hit but not much. Maybe 40 yards tops without CNS hits. CNS hits we found with the Speer flat point was just too destructible for us ol' meat lovers.......but things happen.

I'd have a 358 Win in a bolt gun now if they weren't so far out of my price range and the 180 Speer FN would be all I'd be shooting. Never got to shoot one out a ways but I wouldn't be afraid to on a broadside shot. Those Hot Cor bullets are one heck of a bargain IMHO. I ever get my wildcat project rifles done they will be one of the first I test.

God Bless
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve, really appreciate it. I hope to get some on game 180 gr Speer FN results myself this year :)

Will be attempting to work up a load for my 356 Win with the 220 grain Speer FN. Killed Texas pigs with it. Complete penetration lengthwise.

Updated to add:

Both from 358 Win same conditions as above.

200 gr Hornady RN - 143.5 gr (71.7%) - 0.546"
200 gr Sierra RN - 157 gr (78.5%) - 0.863" (0.672" across the normal part of the mushroom since bullet tumbled)

46994753924_001ed74421_z.jpg

33907022738_68f37e5715_z.jpg

FOTIS":2mvnbp7e said:
Will be attempting to work up a load for my 356 Win with the 220 grain Speer FN. Killed Texas pigs with it. Complete penetration lengthwise.

I was with DrMike when he got his grizzly bear in 2005.
He used the 94 Big Bore in 356 loaded with the Speer 220 gr FN.
I backed him up with my BLR 358 loaded with the same Speer 220 gr FN bullets.
Worked just fine on that 6’10” boar at 140 yards.

Just out of curiosity, what was the velocity of that 200 gr. AccuBond from the .35 Whelen? I shoot the 225 gr.Barnes TSX from mine but have never recovered a bullet. Not even from one elk shot from end to end. :cry: However, the elk was not very happy with the end result and I was. :lol: (y)
Paul B.

Paul, my load with the 200 gr AccuBond clocks 2840 fps. The 225 gr TSX is one of the deepest penetrating 35 cal bullets available from my testing in the past. The AccuBond doesn't penetrate as much but still does well in that regard and I would give it the edge at long range for expansion. I believe Dan (saskboy) recovered a couple of 225 gr AB's from 500 yards out on elk and they were picture perfect. Both designs while quite different are both excellent. These days I also like the 200 gr TTSX, a couple of bears I finished off last year that youth hunters had hit a bit off can attest to that :lol:

wow ! I really had no idea how tough a Speer Hot Core was till I saw this !

I was reading in an old Speer manual about heat treating thier jackets......and contacted them about if that's still true and it is..... but the harder core heel isn't. But from this pic it looks like it doesn't effect it at all !

I wanna load this bullet in my 35 Remington.... the nose profile allows me to load my Remington 760 unlike the other RN's and FP's that have a ogive close to the nose and because of the short freebore in my 760.. it shoves the bullet too far back in the case... I'm concerned about excess pressure with a slide action.

slickrem":17oxfjgu said:

I was reading in an old Speer manual about heat treating thier jackets......and contacted them about if that's still true and it is..... but the harder core heel isn't. But from this pic it looks like it doesn't effect it at all !

I wanna load this bullet in my 35 Remington.... the nose profile allows me to load my Remington 760 unlike the other RN's and FP's that have a ogive close to the nose and because of the short freebore in my 760.. it shoves the bullet too far back in the case... I'm concerned about excess pressure with a slide action.

Those 35 cal FN bullets are tough to begin with and the cannelure helps retain the core as well and slows expansion down when it gets to that point. The 180 gr pictured here definitely would be one of the better bullets for your 35 Remington. Big fan of these Speer bullets.

They are going to be the go too bullet in my 358 Win for deer, black bears and a certain mountain where we hunt mountain goats in the timber in late fall. The short BLR would be perfect for that.

HeathSexton":2514bgpo said:
Velocity on the 200 RN from the 358 win?

Should be in the 2400 fps range at the muzzle, I basically use the same powder charge of IMR 3031 for any of the 200's.

HeathSexton":rzn8e3sq said:
Thanks

I’m a little above that but not much.

I never got the chance to shoot a bear with the 200 gr Sierra (passed up some little ones though) so am really looking forward to shooting some deer with them. You have any experience with any of the 200 gr RN's?

gerry":a6gc3srp said:
slickrem":a6gc3srp said:

Those 35 cal FN bullets are tough to begin with and the cannelure helps retain the core as well and slows expansion down when it gets to that point. The 180 gr pictured here definitely would be one of the better bullets for your 35 Remington. Big fan of these Speer bullets.

They are going to be the go too bullet in my 358 Win for deer, black bears and a certain mountain where we hunt mountain goats in the timber in late fall. The short BLR would be perfect for that.

Here's another thread of those Speer HC FN failing....

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=36964&hilit=357+maximum+speer+bullet

although the guy said he found the bullet in tact, I still have reservations of it coming apart and having a delayed kill.

Where I hunt it's pretty thick, and where I would shoot most of the time isn't as thick. But If I see a bear, which would mean, if I can see it, wouldn't be so bad feild dressing and getting it out of the woods without a major hassle.

I'm not too worried about it since it will make it more than far enough before separating if it does. Most of the time they will keep together but the odd time they may separate.

Back