300 WM and IMR 4831

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Did a trigger job and some other work for a guy on a Ruger 220 Swift. He liked the results so much he brought me another Ruger in 300 WM for some trigger work as well. Paid me with a Leupold 12X fine cross hair, varmint scope.

After fine tuning the trigger to his weight request and removing creep, plus extensive barrel cleaning, it performed very well. Took a couple fouling shots then moved to a fresh target and shot this group. If this doesn't suit him I'm not sure what else to do. :grin:

SJB358":j0s75j76 said:
Dang! That’s a wicked looking shooting buddy! Good darned work!

Thanks Scotty, it worked out well. He wanted it dead on at 100 so after this I moved the scope and hit that dot, the next shot was just outside the edge so not as close a group, but even those 2 shots measured 3/4", so it's working. (y) Would've liked to test it some more but had to leave after that to meet an appointment.

For sure, nothing wrong with that riflery. You are to be congratulated. You deserve that scope and maybe some more! (y)

Very nice, you can tell the rifle really likes that load. It also speaks well of your shooting skills.

Thanks fella's. This wasn't just a bang, bang, bang 3 shot group, as you know sometimes if trying to see what a rifle will do, you try to read what it's telling you.

After the fouling shot the next 3 shot right at an inch with each successive shot climbing higher and to the right than the shot before, at a consistent and near identical distance and angle. Possibly still fouling the barrel, but I was giving it around a minute between shots and it was obvious to me that it gets hot quick and takes a while to cool down between shots. Also the barrel is tight the length of the stock.

I then shot this group by letting it cool to just slightly warm to the touch for the first shot, then tried to mimic that temperature by feel before taking the next shot.....didn't time it, but took a good while....possibly as long as 5 minutes between shots. This time along with a much tighter group, the shots didn't climb or move right... the lowest shot was the 3rd shot.

So if he wants to shoot tight groups without taking a long time, he should get it bedded and free floated. If he wants to take accurate single shots as a hunting rifle, which is how he primarily uses it, he's got himself a real shooter. Personally I wouldn't touch it.

Back