Old Photo, mule deer

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well, considering that the youngster perched on the truck is now 32 years old, bigger and stronger than me... This was a few years back. 1996 I think. An Okanogan County mule deer I shot with a traditional 50 Cal muzzleloader. Good times! Just found the old photo at Dad's house.
327f22157183ae47d4a3f94ed8c99a9f.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

how novel, I was actually able to log on today and just in time too say

Very nice Guy. Love it Nice shot, great memories

Great picture Guy, thanks for sharing.. The only thing more valuable than such photos are those events stored in our personal memory banks.. (y)

Great picture, Guy! Very nice buck harvested with a muzzleloader, excellent.

I was talking to an older rancher in Wyo who said antelope were best eating when you took them in June. Sure different from 50 years ago!

June is fawning season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1100 Remington Man":1iy7rd7w said:
Nice old photo and wouldn’t you like to go back ?

Of course I would.

I'm 63 now, was 38/39, strong and fast as all get out back in 1995. Honestly, at that point I wasn't long out of the Marines and could still run an 18:30 three mile, and benchpress 315 pounds.

Not anymore. :)

The good news is that that little boy is now in his 30's and we are closer than ever. He's grown into a fine young man. This one doesn't share my love of hunting, but is up for a fishing trip anytime and enjoys shooting & 4 wheel drive camping trips. He's a good guy and I'm proud of him.

This buck's rack actually looks a lot better in person. Kind of narrow, but thick and gnarly. I wonder what he'd have looked like given another few years? That traditional 50 cal muzzle loader really hammered him!

Guy

Guy Miner":e7ms8m6b said:
1100 Remington Man":e7ms8m6b said:
Nice old photo and wouldn’t you like to go back ?

Of course I would.

I'm 63 now, was 38/39, strong and fast as all get out back in 1995. Honestly, at that point I wasn't long out of the Marines and could still run an 18:30 three mile, and benchpress 315 pounds.

Not anymore. :)

The good news is that that little boy is now in his 30's and we are closer than ever. He's grown into a fine young man. This one doesn't share my love of hunting, but is up for a fishing trip anytime and enjoys shooting & 4 wheel drive camping trips. He's a good guy and I'm proud of him.

This buck's rack actually looks a lot better in person. Kind of narrow, but thick and gnarly. I wonder what he'd have looked like given another few years? That traditional 50 cal muzzle loader really hammered him!

Guy

I think I ran my first 18:00 3 miler around 96.... I was a running machine trying to get away from my DI’s though :lol:

Very Cool Guy! I much younger guy too lol....... Still the same person though, you do seem to get better animals with age though!

Guy, You need to dust off that old traditional muzzleloader and hunt with it some more. After another kill or two it will be time to get a good flintlock rifle and take the next step.
Nothing quite like a fine flintlock rifle on a frosty morning.

Darkhorse":1hvc30l3 said:
Guy, You need to dust off that old traditional muzzleloader and hunt with it some more. After another kill or two it will be time to get a good flintlock rifle and take the next step.
Nothing quite like a fine flintlock rifle on a frosty morning.

I keep it clean and good to go - but honestly our muzzle loader seasons don't seem near as attractive now as they were 20 years ago... So, I dunno… I'd like to hunt with it again though.

In Washington I tend to "go ugly early" when hunting public land, regular season. Can't be too picky or there won't be any venison in the freezer!

Guy

I don't hunt a special muzzleloader season, I hunt the regular rifle season mainly because that's when the rut is.
But I do like to change things up and carry a scoped centerfire occasionally, mostly in the afternoon as my Zeiss gathers a lot more light than iron sights. Some situations just aren't suited to a muzzleloader, like long range for instance.
I hunt with my flintlocks as much as I can but only in the right circumstances.

Back