.338 Win Mag Cow Elk Bullet

The 200 & 210 were right at 2800fps. The 250NAB was a solid 2800fps and the 250PT was 2750. Pretty snazzy! The Trigger Tech helped out too...one sweet trigger! I had no problem using regular Benchrest holds on the 338 either. I just had my left hand over the scope, holding it and didn't have a death grip with my thumb on the wrist either. That Classic comes straight back...sooo special! ha. The 338 MGA I used the 185 XLC with had a much shorter throat than this 1987 factory model. One reason I had to compress the load so much. I never knew the barrel maker or if they made them themselves on that MGA. I am pretty sure that either (fixed it!) of those 250s will shoot as flat as I need as far as I need. I'll probably set the NAB about 2 1/2" high at 100 and shoot it at 100yd intervals, measure the drops out to 500yds out in the desert later on. That 65gr/R15/200NBT was pretty easy shooting. Still accurate enough to use on anything from coyotes up! I don't think I am even going to mess with the 225 TTSX or the rest of them. I got my paperwork coming for my cow elk hunt out near Vernal, Utah. I plan on going anywhere from mid December to mid January. I'll still put in for Antlerless mule deer and antelope CWMU (private ranches) soon.

Sounds like you found some good loads!
Test one of the 250 gr AB in some water jugs, you will be impressed. For that matter, shoot a 250 gr PT into the jugs for a comparison. The 338 250 gr PT is an amazing killer!

JD338

My feeling is if you like Elk meat (as I do) you stay away from shoulder shots unless you want to lose the shoulder. I've hit a number of Elk in the classic heart shot and tried to stay away from any area with bone. They may travel just a bit further before giving it up but I find with my .338RUM that is not an issue. I use either the 225 Grain Partition or the 225 Prohunter. Both bullets do an excellent job. Actually I weighed a Prohunter a while back after recovery and the retention worked out to 84 percent. Definitely not complaining about that.

Yes sir, I try to stay away from a direct shoulder shot, unless I want to break them down. then I use a high shoulder. I always "start out" looking for that classic broadside rib shot, but sometimes it gets wild n wooley, ha. I hate running shots and just won't hardly take them, just because I can't say it won't ruin meat or paunch/leg or jawbone! I don't need the thing that bad. Now, if I have hit them first and they run, its "shame on him time"! My dad called it "rabbit shoot" him...hit him anywhere!

The 71.6gr R17 shot .85" for 3 with the 210PT, more than Noslers 70gr MAX but still under 62K per QL. It was mild and primers rounded. Its also seated further out so more capacity than the test round. I need to shoot it again. That was its most accurate and it was pretty pleasant to shoot. It was a few grains under TDs best load in his Ruger. I also did not clock that one. It could be around 2900 easy.

Like the last two pics!

Depicts a very successful ending to a great bullet story!

preacher":53s0cg4h said:
The 71.6gr R17 shot .85" for 3 with the 210PT, more than Noslers 70gr MAX but still under 62K per QL. It was mild and primers rounded. Its also seated further out so more capacity than the test round. I need to shoot it again. That was its most accurate and it was pretty pleasant to shoot. It was a few grains under TDs best load in his Ruger. I also did not clock that one. It could be around 2900 easy.
Jim your R17 load in a 24" barrel was probably around 2900fps.
I loaded the 210s .025" off the lands in the Ruger and my 73.6grs R17 was running 3023fps 5 shot avg.
With that load sighted in 3" high at 100 I could hold dead on a 18" gong at 400yds and bang steel every time I shot it.

I'm still .050" off the lands even with a 3.45" COAL, ha My rifle seems to like them there, fine by me. I just don't like them closer than .020".

If you have room in the magazine for them at .025" off the lands you are still over .020" so your .005" farther off the lands and have a COAL of 3.475".

I'll try some further out and see what they do. Right now, I ran the rifle over to my smith as the extractor has some issues with the Lot of new Winchester cases I have. Very hard to snap over the rims, and since I have over $100 worth of them, I ain't changing brands, ha. And if I "ever" have an issue with a Remington Extractor, I switch style. When they work, they work, when they don't....who knows? So I decided to go ahead and have it converted to a Sako ( actually an M16) style extractor installed. I have had that done to a lot of converted rifles and standards in the past. I like them. On converted standards to magnums they added an extra ejector button to sling the fired cases sideways. this is one of many things I like about Remington 700s...one can do so much with them! ha

Back