Budget Over and Under

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
Im pondering on getting an over and under shotgun and Im seeking input. I wish I could say money was not an issue, but unfortunately it is. My market is going to be $550 to $600 tops. I know you get what you pay for, and I wish I could explore the Brownings, Benellis, and the like, but thats not in the cards at the moment. So..., point me in the right direction of a nice O&U 20 gauge with 24" or 26" barrels. I will be mainly using this gun for rabbit hunting, squirrel hunting, grouse hunting and occasional trap or skeet.

Ive looked TriStar, and ATI, but willing to consider any and all. This will be my first O&U.

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben, I'm not sure about pricing where you are but wonder if it's possible to find a nice used Browning or Beretta at that price point?

Hi Ben.

At $500-600, you get hunting guns. Stoeger Condor has a strong following in that price point.

I bought a Fausti at that price point and used it on clays. I’d shoot 150 rounds a week. Within a year, in could feel the action twisting in my hands.

Hunting guns do not fire 150x52 weeks year in and out. Without showing the wear. Typically the B guns hand it.

Happy shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a new CZ shotgun for if I remember correctly $625.00. It has beautiful wood and sure was fun to hunt with last fall. I would look at them for sure.

I second the CZ. I got one on closeout a couple years ago for under $400, and it was a steal. They seem to be better made than the Stoeger, TriStar, etc. Look around and you should be able to find one in your price range.

I’ve read good things about the Savage Stevens 555. Aluminum receiver is reported to be lightweight and durable as long as you’re not shooting trap nonstop. In your price range, I think.

I've had a CZ and a Savage 555...both were just fine for hunting and available in your price range. A buddy has a couple of the Tristars and a couple more ATIs he won at NRA banquets and DU events.

The bulk of the guns in that price point are going to be Turkish (Huglu). While that isn't a bad thing- Huglu makes guns at all price and quality points for whoever orders them. The CZ just didn't fit me, and felt awkward and I sent both it and the Savage down the road.

I'll point out the obvious- for $600 you can buy a completely fine 20ga pump like an 870 Wingmaster or a Browning BPS with some decent wood and a reasonable blue job. In an O/U you can expect lower quality fit and finish and some operating quirks.

I thought the ATI and Tristar guns were just rough, even at their price point they didn't seem like a very good deal to me.

FWIW- I'd suggest you find some O/Us and do some shooting before you lay down money. Once I fired my friend's Benelli 828, I determined that's the shotgun I wanted and my Savage was just a facsimile of it. Currently saving up cash for the 828, which may take some time to do.

The Winchester 101 is a well made gun for a little more money than your budget, but a lot less money than a Citori (though not a lot less gun) ... The wood isn't the best but isn't bad either.

I've got quite a few thousand rounds through my field grade 101 and it isn't showing any signs of weakness.

Mostly light skeet and trap loads, but also some heavy duty turkey loads and run of the mill rabbit loads.

It is the only shotgun I own besides a couple of heirlooms that don't get shot anymore so I use it for everything.

I know a number of guys that have purchased the Steven 20 gauge for their younger sons and have been very pleased (y).
They are not fancy but are quite functional..

Blessings,
Dan

My vote is for a Yildiz imported by Academy Arms in Katy TX. This is more like a $250 gun, but my 20ga shoots great. Totally changed my Dove effectiveness after shooting a Rem 870 for years. The Turks really make good stuff for a low price. Nice wood and engraving too.

I really appreciate the input and opinions of those who replied.

Hopefully I won't disappoint anyone but I didn't wind up buying a scatter gun. I was messing around on the web one day and somehow stumbled upon Jp Sauer and Sohn's website. I discovered I could get a brand new factory chambered 8x57IS for just a little more than the O/U. And...... I bought one. Just got a weird affliction for European metric calibers i guess.

So, I'm saving again for an O/U.

Don't count out SKB, Weatherby or Ithaca (Japanese made) in the used market. These are excellent shotguns.

When you get the money together I would rather get a second hand Beretta or Browning than a cheap new shotgun, my first over/under was a Lincoln, not great, next was a 2nd hand Browning Citori, it was 20 years old when I bought it, it never missed a heart beat (you just need to check for wear and tear) 10 years later I traded it in for a new Beretta, I made money on it.

6.5_sWv":30l36qc2 said:
I really appreciate the input and opinions of those who replied.

Hopefully I won't disappoint anyone but I didn't wind up buying a scatter gun. I was messing around on the web one day and somehow stumbled upon Jp Sauer and Sohn's website. I discovered I could get a brand new factory chambered 8x57IS for just a little more than the O/U. And...... I bought one. Just got a weird affliction for European metric calibers i guess.

So, I'm saving again for an O/U.

My dad has a Baikal O/U that I love and I'm a no-frills, cheap, and cheerful kind of guy.

Are Baikals still being imported though? You never know, with the sanctions being implemented by both sides.
Still, CZ shotguns are awesome, my father has always hunted with American made shotguns, until he tried a CZ two years ago; now, it's the only gun he still hunts with.

Back