Scouting trip

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Bear season opens in about three weeks. This morning I headed to an area only a few miles from town and well above. Put the trailer behind the Jeep for the first time since last fall. Took binos, left the nice camera at home, settled for the cell phone camera. Just for the heck of it I took the 45/70 Marlin, loaded with my 350 gr RNSP Hornady ammo. Just in case.

It's steeper up there than it used to be... Ha!
Eug3lDGh.jpg

YOuyV3vh.jpg

Didn't find any bears. Didn't find any bear sign. Did find one happy mule deer doe. Sorry, no photo. Looked kinda like a summer doe.. Did find coyote & chukar tracks.

Jeep and trailer did just peachy:
1ZROkPlh.jpg

Old guy with a Marlin did fine too. :grin:
V1ugWKzh.jpg

mPGsvFwh.jpg

uYv3IEAh.jpg

Regards, Guy

That is beautiful country Guy! Sorry you didn't find a bear or sign but you and the rifle look ready when you do! Good hunting, Dan.

Thanks. Ya, I wasn't very serious about finding a bear up near the ridge top like that. Kinda used it as an excuse to go for a walk with the Marlin. :grin:

And I have to admit that the Jeep ride was fun too. ALMOST got stuck in one big mud-hole until I hit the rear air locker and floored it...

That worked! (y)

Beautiful country. I can see why you like getting out and poking around.

On an excursion like that, do you see many other humans?

Dan

NYDAN":3ht5ln3d said:
Beautiful country. I can see why you like getting out and poking around.

On an excursion like that, do you see many other humans?

Dan

As I was headed back into town, there was a 4x4 pickup with three or four young fellows in it, headed up the hill. Weekends it's busier up there, as it's so close to town. Popular for deer hunting, too, again 'cause it's close to town.

Farther back into the hills, I've spent most of a day without seeing anyone. Kinda nice.

Guy

Guy as usual those photos are beautiful :wink:. When that season opens for Bear I am hoping that you get a opportunity with that 45/70 it should definitely do the job (y).
Thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks all. I deliberately left the camera at home. Didn't want to lug it around. Just snapped those with the cell phone.

Phone cameras are pretty amazing anymore.

Guy

Back