Ruger American Predator 6.5 Grendel: thoughts and opinions

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
So, I was in my LGS Saturday and on the shelf was a used one of these. I'm a big fan of most anything 6.5 and have heard good things about the Grendel, primarily in the AR platform. I own AR's but am not a fanatic about them and wasn't motivated to buy another one.

On seeing this rifle, however, I started wondering if it could potentially be worthwhile. I was envisioning a backup/loaner deer rifle and possibly a truck gun. It's tag said $389.99 but I could probably get it for less. It has a brand new Ruger magazine since, according to the LGS owner, the gun's previous owner had tried other brand and it didn't feed correctly. I/he don't know where the original Ruger mag disappeared to. The LGS owner called Ruger and they sent him a new mag.

Anyway, I was a little hesitant to wake up the enablers here :lol: but what do you guys think? Do any of you happen to own this rifle in this caliber and, if so, what are your findings? I know some of the posters have mentioned owning/shooting Ruger Americans in other calibers and overall the consensus seems to be positive for a rifle in it's price range.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Not that rifle but an AR in the Grendel. Fun cartridge and probably a lot more “able” than it gets credit for.
In an AR you’re limited by mag length but may have a little more room in the bolt.
The Speer 120 Gold Dot May be terrific for a bonded bullet in it. My AR likes them.
The various 123 gr shoot nicely in that cartridge also.

Ron,
I have the Ruger American predator in 260rem. Like you said, they are a fine rifle for the price, and the predator also has bonus of a treaded barrel. Not sure how used that rifle is you're looking at but i just checked Davidson's and i could get one brand new delivered for $399 + $10 fee.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm kinda on the fence about it. I really like my 6.5x55's, Creedmoors , and PRC but I'm not sure that I wanna jump on another caliber. I've read and heard lots of good stuff about the Grendel so I may end up with one yet. Time will tell, I guess.

In for a penny, in for a pound RJM! Might as well round out the 6.5mm collection :lol:

Once an enabler, always an enabler. Scotty has spoken the truth. (y)

Not sure if he has a 264 in there but you might as well look for one while you’re there!

Go for broke, I say. There is still the 6.5X284 and the 6.5X68 Schuler!

I already have a 264, Scotty, AND some 30-06's. You? :lol:

Ron

rjm158":202gmjk8 said:
I already have a 264, Scotty, AND some 30-06's. You? :lol:

Ron

I don’t have a Grendel either Ron. Thinking an AR would be fun to go along with the Swede, Creed, and 264...... I do have A 30-06 though. My 300 acts like a 30-06 around 800 yards or so... :mrgreen:

My wife's cousin has one in an AR and he shoots the 123 gr SST...Bug hole accurate and has done just dandy on whitetail and coyote. No idea what his load information is.....I've been considering building a grendel upper.

I have the Ruger American predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Accurate gun. Stock sucks and I have issues with the bolt jamming if to much upward pressure is placed on the bolt knob when pushing it forward. I guess if you are a looking for a bench rifle, one of those problems can be solved with a Magpul stock for $250. I put one on mine but now it is too heavy to hunt with.

But for the price it might be worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Apparently someone else thought so, too, because when I went back to the shop it was gone.

Ron

I looked at a Howa in 6.5 Grendel the other day at Sportsman’s Warehouse. Had the bolt handle been on the proper side, it’s likely that it would be in my safe right now.

Back