Wow - Lot's of Hype for the 6.5s

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
My father passed down to me his Rem 700 in 264WM he purchased in 1969 ish. He used that gun ever since and I purchased same 264 in a Win 70 back in 1990. Move forward to 2005 and I purchased a Rem Mtn SS in 260 Rem and gave to my son when he turned 12y. Move along to 2016 and I buy a 6.5x284 Norma in a Sav 116.

So I haven't paid to much attention to the 6.5 Creed or the noise about 6.5s in general until a couple of years ago. I bought a Savage Stealth / Creed for paper punching and then gave it to my son for his 24th B Day. I then bought a Creed this year for deer hunting and did a little research - WOW do people have strong feelings about this little 6.5 that is much like it's cousins the 260 and the Swede. 6.5mm and 7mm high BC bullets have beem around for a while. Did the general shooting public just wake up?

Maybe because I've been around 6.5s my whole life and have seen a lifetime of deer and a handful of elk taken with them. It's no surprise that most any caliber, .24/6mm on up with a High SD well constructed bullet which means heavy for caliber is going to get the job done at the appropriate distance.

I'm just surprised at the mis-information or mis-leading guidance I'm seeing on the internet. "The Creed is just as good as the 300Win out to 1000 yds" and this was about shooting ELK ! I spit my coffee onto the keyboard on that one. It made me laugh but then realized that some people might be believing this. Then there are those that "Hate" the Creed because .. ??? I'm not sure what brings on such emotion about a cartridge.
Any way - I chose the Creed when I wanted a new Deer rifle because of availability of reloading components - plain and simple. All the medium 6.5's would have done very well, just chose the Creed. Now off to the reloading bench

The 6.5mm / 26 Cal may have finally caught on.
It's been around for a long time and for those that shot them, knew about their attributes and just keep to themselves and keept killing game. Some of those critters are elk and moose too. The heavy for caliber bullets ( high SD) seem to kill way out of proportion.
I have a 6.5 JDJ Contender that I shoot out to 300 yards. I bought a Remington 673 Guide rifle in 6.5 Rem Mag and shot a buck with it DRT, impressive.
Bought my wife a Kimber Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor for deer hunting. She has shot it at 800 yards using the 129 gr ABLR. She also killed a deer with it last December.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is a nice round but honestly I don't see it as an elk round. YMMV.

JD338

I was impressed with the 6.5 Creed I bought for my girlfriend. She got her first cow elk with it last fall. The shot was around 310 yds. We are using Nosler ammo with the 129 ABLR. The rifle is a Savage Axys II hardwood model.

I'd probably shoot a moose under the right conditions with my 6.5...not my first pick for moose hunting, but given a good presentation and conditions I think it'd work fine.

The rub is...I've never shot a moose with a good presentation. It's always across a lake, in the brush, at the very last moment of daylight. Just situations where I want more gun that my 6.5 provides.

I love the 6.5, easy to shoot and extremely accurate. I'm not sure folks who chase nothing bigger than black bears and deer could do any better.

I have shot a few moose over the years with the 6.5x55 with 140 gr bullets, and it worked just fine; but these were our Canadian moose, not the larger Alaska/Yukon variety. I have also taken one with my 6.5 Creedmoor.
None of these shots were farther than 150 yards.

Have also harvested whitetail, mule deer, caribou and stone's sheep with the 6.5x55.

I do not see the Swede or CM as long range elk cartridges. But at reasonable ranges (less than 300 yards) on unwary animals with proper shot presentation and placement, I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with a well constructed 140 gr bullet.

Have more trigger time with the 6.5x55 than any other centerfire cartridge, and it is an underrated jem!
Really liking the 6.5 Creedmoor too. Is it any better than my 6.5x55...not sure...they are both very similar in performance and very accurate rifles...and a whole lot of fun to carry, shoot and hunt with.

I have also owned the 260 Rem and 6.5x284 Norma. Two other very fine cartridges that shot very well in the rifles I had (Sako and Savage). As they were right handed, I no longer have them, but wanted to experiment with them. Am considering a 6.5 PRC, but if I do not get one, I will not be disappointed, as the old Swede or CM will do what I need at the distances I hunt at just fine.

No disrespect to the fine 264 Win, but it has just never grabbed my attention. And do not see either the 26 Nosler or 6.5-300 Wby in my future. To those that have or want them, I hope you enjoy them!

Been a fan of the 6.5 for almost 30 years now, and am very happy with my left handed 6.5's (Swede is a Sako 85 and CM is a customized Browning X Bolt). These two will be with me the rest of my days!

more moose has been shot with the 6.5 x 55 in
Sweden than any other caliber. I have used the 6.5 x 55 on three continents successfully.
I am one of those who tend to "hype" it.--love the Swede!!! (-:

I cant comment hunting with 6.5 since I only use it for local competitions and long range fun on metal. Grew up using 300 and 30.06 for all hunting. I do not think I will ever really go away from them 2 for hunting.

I have two 6.5's and its the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 x 284. The 6.5 x 284 is a Rem. 700 target rifle with a 6 ounce Jewel trigger break ( adjustable), with a BR stock and I must have ran over 1,200 rounds through it, almost the end of its barrel life. It still shoots Bergers real nicely, .2 to .3 MOA @ 300 yards and once the barrel is gone, I'll be sending it to GA Precision to put a 26 inch Bartlein barrel and swap the stock to a hunting stock for some hunting and sell that BR stock.

As for the 6.5 Creedmoor from GA Precision, it shoots like a dream. I have not hunted with it when I got this rifle last fall. I shot my best groups with this rifle using Bergers. Working a load with 147 ELD-M's at the moment and I'll be trying the 147's on some deer this season. I have a few 30 caliber rifles, and I love those but the 6.5's are hard to beat.

I personally have no need for a 6.5 Creedmoor, I also think people are trying to make it fight above its weight class. IMHO
I have and hunt with a .264 Win Mag and no I don't think it's a lot more than a .270 Win, but I did buy the hype from Winchester as the Utilimate Western Big Game Cartridge for Deer & Antelope.
It has served me well in this role.
I have always thought a .260 Rem would make a nice Deer rifle as well as the 6.5x55 and 6.5x284 so if I ever find my self in need of another 6.5, it would be one of the three above.

Bash74":12qq05os said:
I cant comment hunting with 6.5 since I only use it for local competitions and long range fun on metal. Grew up using 300 and 30.06 for all hunting. I do not think I will ever really go away from them 2 for hunting.

That’s where I’m at. If a 6.5 floats your boat well have at it. I’m a .30 cal man through and through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Count me in as a fan of the cartridge. I’ve got a bolt gun and an AR10 in the 6.5 CM, a 6.5 Swede in a 70 and a 264 Win in a 70. All of them are really nice cartridges to me. I don’t have plans of using my CM or Swede for elk but with good bullets I’d not be worried about them. The 129 LRX does 2950 from my little Creed and the 140 AB does about 2900 from my Swede. While neither is a blow their fur off sorta cartridge they both mimic the excellent 270 Winchester with similar Bullets. If that’s what you shoot with precision that’ll make a whole lot more difference than just about anything else.

I've been a fan of the 6.5x55 for 34 years. I've looked at the 6.5 CM, and it duplicates what the old 6.5x55 can do.
It's funny how they say the 6.5 CM blew onto the long range shooting scene, taking the shooting world by storm.
At the right distance, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with the 6.5x55, and wait for the perfect broadside shot. I wouldn't shoot an elk at ranges past 250 -300 yds with it. I know that even at 300 yds it's stretching a bit for the 6.5x55, but I know the cartridge is exceptionally accurate. Now, with that being said, I wouldn't use anything lighter than a 140 gr pointed bullet.
Now, within the last 9 months, I have realized that there is an older cartridge that has been on the scene that duplicates the 6.5 PRC, and that cartridge is the .280 Remington.
I have been on the Nosler Forum for some time now, and I have been hearing about the .280, and it's virtues. I have to admit, the .280 is one heck of a cartridge. On paper, it exceeds the 6.5 CM at long range.
Too bad the .280 didn't get the fan fare the 6.5 CM has gotten.
With 150 gr on up to the 160ish gr bullets I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk, and it would be at longer distance than what the 6.5 CM would be able to handle.
Yes, it does have more recoil and muzzle blast, but the extra oomph in performance is well worth it, too me, in my opinion.
Still, for deer hunting, it's hard to beat a 6.5 cartridge for that task. Not at 1000 yds though.
People have to realize the limitations of the cartridge they use.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I've owned 260 Remington, 6.5 swede, and four 6.5 creedmoor's. I love the 6.5 mm cartridges. I only hunt deer though. I would use either on elk but it would be within its limits. I'd never say it was the equal of many other elk cartridges especially at longer ranges. As far as 1,000 yard target cartridges go it's pretty hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've got a 6.5 Creed and a 6.5x284. Guess which one I'll be carrying on my moose hunt this Sept; neither, that's what the 338RUM is for. LOL

Charlie-NY":2xpbe1f1 said:
I've got a 5.6 Creed and a 6.5x284. Guess which one I'll be carrying on my moose hunt this Sept; neither, that's what the 338RUM is for. LOL
That will get the job done. My buddy uses the same on our moose and brown bear hunts.

It isn’t hype.... it’s truth.

I’ve seen the .260 kill all kinds of big game over the past 5 years... including one big old cow elk at a little over 500 yards with a 127 LRX.... she went straight down and never twitched.

We’ve used all kinds of bullets too: 123/140 Amax, 143 ELDX, 147 ELD, 130 AccuBond, 123/139 Scenar, 130 Berger VLD-H... but my favorite for all-around big game work is the 127 LRX at 2900 out of the 20” barrel.

Songdog":7amx1gy8 said:
It isn’t hype.... it’s truth.

I’ve seen the .260 kill all kinds of big game over the past 5 years... including one big old cow elk at a little over 500 yards with a 127 LRX.... she went straight down and never twitched.

We’ve used all kinds of bullets too: 123/140 Amax, 143 ELDX, 147 ELD, 130 AccuBond, 123/139 Scenar, 130 Berger VLD-H... but my favorite for all-around big game work is the 127 LRX at 2900 out of the 20” barrel.
What is meant when talking about the hype is all the "have you shot the 6.5 creed, oh man I just got the RPR, I am .5 moa on steel" talk. Go into a store and all these young people talk about the creed like it's the greatest thing ever made and nothing can touch it and nothing has ever existed like it before. I just will never go away from my 300 or 30.06 for hunting. Was raised on it and has never let me down.

Again... it isn’t “hype”... it’s truth.

It’s flat out easier to make hits, at all ranges, with a Creed than it is with an ‘06. The factory ammo is WAY better, recoils WAY less, drifts less, and delivers plenty of horsepower for even big deer and elk sized critters.,

Look at the numbers... or better yet, spend a little time behind one... it’s easy to see that “hype” isn’t hype at all..

It’s pretty fun to watch your wife and kids beat on steel... and rocks... and big game animals... without getting beat on by the rifle. It’s pretty hard to find a cartridge that delivers more downrange without stepping up substantially in recoil. The Creed hits as hard, or harder, at 400 yards than most factory .270 loads... and does it with a lot less recoil and drift... that ain’t hype... that’s physics.

I know it gets the Matlock watching, eat dinner at 4:30, blinker on doing 47 mph in the left lane crew all grumpy... but the Creed really is a great round... deserving of the praise and “hype” it’s receiving.

Songdog":c68rgppn said:
Again... it isn’t “hype”... it’s truth.

It’s flat out easier to make hits, at all ranges, with a Creed than it is with an ‘06. The factory ammo is WAY better, recoils WAY less, drifts less, and delivers plenty of horsepower for even big deer and elk sized critters.,

Look at the numbers... or better yet, spend a little time behind one... it’s easy to see that “hype” isn’t hype at all..

It’s pretty fun to watch your wife and kids beat on steel... and rocks... and big game animals... without getting beat on by the rifle. It’s pretty hard to find a cartridge that delivers more downrange without stepping up substantially in recoil. The Creed hits as hard, or harder, at 400 yards than most factory .270 loads... and does it with a lot less recoil and drift... that ain’t hype... that’s physics.

I know it gets the Matlock watching, eat dinner at 4:30, blinker on doing 47 mph in the left lane crew all grumpy... but the Creed really is a great round... deserving of the praise and “hype” it’s receiving.
Spend time behind one. Well, is 30000 rounds of 6.5 through 4 barrels enough time or do I need to shoot more. It's a good shooter but dont see why there is hype. I still wont take one hunting, and will stick to 300 and 30.06. When not hunting everything else is for fun and the 6.5 gets boring very quickly these days and still prefer larger cartridges and so does the fam. The wife's go to is the 338 lapua, the son is the 30.06 and the daughter is the 375 cheytac. She is determined to get 3 consecutive on steel at 2300 yards so she gets sore practicing a lot.

The hype is just because of marketing and magazine covers. Guys come into the shop and ask for an RPR or a 6.5 rifle that they read about. I say dont have one but what about a .260, then they say no that they want something that is really accurate at 300yrds so it needs to be the 6.5. Then they leave and I laugh.

If you need a Lapua or a Cheytac... then you probably don’t understand the “hype” anyway....

ELR Shooting is a different animal... and none of the 6.5s can hang there... but that’s not really where this discussion started.

I love the .260, it’s probably my favorite round... but I wouldn’t build another one, as the Creed is a slightly better mousetrap... and excellent factory ammo is widely available and relatively cheap.

If a guy wanted to get into LR shooting, on a budget... an RPR, or a Tikka CTR, or the Bergara... in 6.5 Creed, are really the best options... again.... that’s not hype, it’s truth. If you haven’t realized that in “30,000 rounds”... I don’t know what to tell you.

What would you have a guy do.... shoot a .308? That’s just mean.

I see no reason to EVER go .30-06 or .300 Win, whether shooting steel or big game... as the 7 Mag whips them both... but that’s another discussion entirely.

Back