New 9.3x62

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Just in time for moose season!
My new left handed Sako Model 85 Hunter in 9.3x62 is finally here! Only took 11 months to come in.
Has some nice fiddleback in the finish when the light hits it right. Will get the good Dr to post pics as I do not use photobucket, after I get scope mounted.
Looks good paired with my matching lh 6.5x55, although I did order the 9.3 w/ open sights.
Picking up my rings and bases at the post office tomorrow so that I can mount the used Kahles 30mm 1.5-6 power scope I picked up for it this spring.
Have a bit of ammo for it, but have located a dealer with some different factory loads to try out in it;
Nosler 250 gr AccuBonds,
Federal 186 gr Swift A-Frames, and
Lapua 186 gr Megas

Have dies, so will be working on a handload with which ever bullet it shows a preference for.

Gil,
Congratulations on your new moose rifle. Should be a sledgehammer on those big bulls that are up in your neck of the woods. Why the long wait? Left handed?

JD338

Apparently Sako only ships 5 LH 9.3x62's per year to North America and if the US orders take them all, none make it to Canada (according to importer). I was informed that it could take up to a year when I ordered it last August. Plus ordering it with open sights.

Got the Kahles mounted, but cannot find my ammo today. Will order some. Can't wait to shoot it!

Gil asked that these photos of his rifles be posted. He'll be along shortly to give us the rundown on which is which.

LR0MGeh.jpg

UTBkgYZ.jpg

5URc1k8.jpg

Gotta love the old 9.3x62! Its turned into my favorite caliber. Gorgeous rifles by the way .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nice looking wood on those rifles.
Not to change the subject but have you heard from Cheyenne?
I was wondering how she's getting along since she hasn't answered my PM.

Gil,
Beautiful rifle. Hope you can find some ammunition to shoot it.
What about just getting brass and bullets and start loading?

JD338

Thanks!

The Norma brass I bought at the gunshow last year, along with the Norma ammo is MIA at the moment! Know where the bullets are.
Need to dig a little deeper in the closet! LOL
Just a matter of time...
Got the Nosler and Lapua ammo ordered today. Want to try it anyway.

Got out and shot the 9.3 today; lots of fun!
This rifle is showing the kind of promise that I am coming to expect from Sako!
Kahles scope set @ 6 power.
The Nosler 250 gr AccuBond ammo printed 3 shot groups as small as 0.516"at 100 yards!
(Not bad for not having pulled a trigger since last fall) This load was very comfortable to shoot, even from sitting at the bench.
The Norma 285 gr Alaskan ammo put 3 into 1.026", I pulled thesecond shot a little, but thhe 3rd almost cut the same hole as the first and measured 0.073"centre-to-centre (this load shows some promise!),
and the Lapua 285 gr Mega ammo put 3 into 1.406".
Rifle is sighted in with the Nosler load.
Now to locate that tasty young moose!

Did locate the MIA ammo, bullets and brass! LOL
Also found some Lapua brass and Hornady bullets for a decent price.
Will have to work up a load with Lapua brass and 250 gr AB's.

Sorry Gil for coming in late :oops:!! Those are 2 beautiful rifles and there is no doubt of Sako quality.
I hope that you can get the good Doctor out with you and between the 2 of you knock down a young Bull or two.
I look forward to seeing your up coming post of a good Mountain Moose Hunt (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":39b58u9s said:
Sorry Gil for coming in late :oops:!! Those are 2 beautiful rifles and there is no doubt of Sako quality.
I hope that you can get the good Doctor out with you and between the 2 of you knock down a young Bull or two.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah, Dan, but you still have to stand on your head to work the bolt! :? Sako built they backwards! :roll:

Being a lefty, I feel discriminated, you hurt my feelings! I need a hug.
Not ;-)
They know how to built rifles in Finland. But somehow rhey must do something wrong with shipping. How else can it be explained that they loose so much in worth on their way over the big pond?

Cheers
Frank

PS: to all on the east coast: holding thumbs that dorian does not hit you! Take care...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

DrMike":3q8c24bl said:
sask boy":3q8c24bl said:

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah, Dan, but you still have to stand on your head to work the bolt! :? Sako built they backwards! :roll:

Well Doc, if you were in your "right" mind, you would appreciate quality tools designed to be used in proper hands! LOL

Cloverleaf, the 9.3 will be going out moose hunting this fall!
Don't really want to mark them up, but a few minor hunting experience marks will more than likely appear during time afield.

Great price for blems...
too bad they are south of the border and just not cost effective to bring to the far north.
I do have a couple of boxes on hand to load, and just picked up some Lapua brass.
Found my MIA brass and bullets...I thought I had a box of Norma brass...turns out it is a box of RWS brass.

DrMike":1zqg2bd4 said:
Gil asked that these photos of his rifles be posted. He'll be along shortly to give us the rundown on which is which.

LR0MGeh.jpg

UTBkgYZ.jpg

5URc1k8.jpg
It’s nice to see the bolt on the correct side for a change.
Muy Bueno, Senor on two fine beautiful lead spitters. May they serve you well.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back