Rifle Practice, 45/70 & 30-06

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
With bear season already upon us, my son and I decided to spend some of this warm afternoon at the gun club, practicing at 100 & 200 yards with our rifles. It sure is nice when the adult son still enjoys some range time with me.

He's been using this "sporterized" 1917 30-06 for about ten years now and has taken a couple of bears and a few bucks with it. The rifle sits in a Bell & Carlson stock, is topped by a 6x Leupold, and has the barrel bobbed to 21 inches. It's got a Timney trigger too. The rifle has served three generation of us now. He likes shooting from sitting with that tall bipod and has made several impressive kills that way. The handload hasn't changed in years: 58 grains of H4350 with a 165 grain Nosler Partition. It works well:
8gprYrbh.jpg

He snapped a couple of photos of me, enjoying the new 45/70 Marlin 1895, which has a small 2.5x Leupold. Handload for it is IMR 3031 with a 350 grain Hornady RNSP. I haven't had this rifle long, just a couple of months. The handload is stout, but accurate and fun to shoot:
eGRRLXth.jpg

BfWEfsfh.jpg

4qPxYwTh.jpg

My last three shots today, at 100 yards, unsupported, sitting:
5sWa6QJh.jpg

Hoping to be out for bear again in the morning, our season opened August 1st. Feeling ready!

Regards, Guy

Good range session Guy. Especially since you got to spend time with your son.
Good luck tomorrow morning! Looks like the Marlin is ready to go.

JD338

Great pictures and it looks like the two old Gov’t rounds are doing well for you two.

SJB358":2288g5fr said:
Great pictures and it looks like the two old Gov’t rounds are doing well for you two.

I thought about that... One from 1873, the other from 1906...

Yup, there I am again, right on the cutting edge of cartridge & rifle tech! :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":lpab85qq said:
SJB358":lpab85qq said:

I thought about that... One from 1873, the other from 1906...

Yup, there I am again, right on the cutting edge of cartridge & rifle tech! :grin:

Guy
Guy, I think the the saying is "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

JD338

Ha! Yup.

Oh, I took a couple of pokes at a target 450 yards away on the hillside... Scared the heck out of it with those big ol' 350 grain bullets!

:mrgreen:

Looks like a good range day. Enjoy my son going with me and more so since he has gotten into reloading last couple of years. Dan.

Nice day there Guy with your boy. The 45-70 is fun to shoot. It's more of a big push instead of a violent smack like say a 300 Winchester. That Enfield is one stout rifle. They are just about bullet proof and quite an action. Is the barrel the original that was just shortened, or is it a custom barrel?

David

6mm Remington":k4efxm04 said:
Nice day there Guy with your boy. The 45-70 is fun to shoot. It's more of a big push instead of a violent smack like say a 300 Winchester. That Enfield is one stout rifle. They are just about bullet proof and quite an action. Is the barrel the original that was just shortened, or is it a custom barrel?

David

It's the original, just shortened to 21" years ago. I really like that ol' 30-06 rifle.

Have been tempted so many times to have it re-bored to 9.3, or 35 Whelen, or 338-06... Don't think that will ever happen though. It's awfully useful as it is.

Guy

Guy you just can't beat a day out at the range with family :wink:, unless of course it is a day in the field hunting with them.
It looks like you two had a real good session and should be ready for some actual hunting.
Good luck my friend remember Shoot straight, have Fun and most of all be Safe.

Blessings,
Dan

Nice shooting with the big 45’

There’s something very satisfying about working the lever and seeing one of those big old shells eject!

We all look at bullet expansion etc.....with a 45-70, it just punches a 1/2 inch hole through both sides.

Back