Is it possible?

theddguide

Beginner
Jun 16, 2018
I shot these groups the other day from my 300 wsm at 100 yards with a rear bag and bipod. Didn't adjust elevation or windage on the scope at all. Only thing I did different was adjust my power from 15x to 10x(3 shot target). I'm having a hard time figuring out why the one group landed significantly lower on target. And yes, everything on the mounts and what not are tight. Is it possible that the power changes I made would cause this? I sure wouldn't think so.

The gun is a m70 extreme weather with a vx5hd 3-15x44 on top.
6a9c42ea244aadf42f0164b7cb504c0b.jpg
da5def62dc3a2c819a5295f6c9bbfe6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It looks like just one shot went low. Can you maybe let us know which shots are which. Check the parallax on the scope and pound out a couple 3 shot groups at 10 and 15 to see if you still observe the same things.

The orange dot was with 10x. I had the parallax set to where it was clear and focused which is very close to the 100 setting.

I will certainly shoot more when I can. Been sitting in the hospital as my wife delivered our 2nd daughter together yesterday. [emoji16]

Yea there's one bullet hole in the eye on the other target, exclude that. That target was on 15x.

Scotty mentioned, could be parallax.

Could be the shot felt good but wasn’t quite there.

Could be the scope changes point of aim at different magnification settings. There’s one particular scope I have that I suspect is doing this so I only shoot on one magnification setting.

Let us know if you figure it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were a parallax thing, what would be the issue? I always thought that affected the left and right more than anything. Or could it be a cheek weld difference/ looking through the scope a bit differently?

theddguide":2xkkv8wf said:
If it were a parallax thing, what would be the issue? I always thought that affected the left and right more than anything. Or could it be a cheek weld difference/ looking through the scope a bit differently?

It’s perfectly possible for this to occur.
It’s certainly a process of elimination to get to the root cause of a flyer like that.
Good luck.

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Also, those are nice groups.

Different targets imply a different bench setup. I shoot off of bipods a lot and when I switch targets (even just moving a scooch over to get the next target) I have to reload my bipod. If my bipod loading varies I get high and low shots due to how the rifle recoils. If you were shooting without pre-loading the bipod and the other group had a little bit of loading on the bipod, it would account for that height difference.

Parallax can be high - low & right - left and everyone's eyes are different. What is correct for me is way out of adjustment for my father. A good primer is https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/scope ... djustment/. Parallax goes hand in glove with an inconsistent position / cheek weld - when the cross-hairs move, so do the positions that allow the cross-hairs to be on target.

Nimrod84":tfwd9z6r said:
Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Also, those are nice groups.

Different targets imply a different bench setup. I shoot off of bipods a lot and when I switch targets (even just moving a scooch over to get the next target) I have to reload my bipod. If my bipod loading varies I get high and low shots due to how the rifle recoils. If you were shooting without pre-loading the bipod and the other group had a little bit of loading on the bipod, it would account for that height difference.

Parallax can be high - low & right - left and everyone's eyes are different. What is correct for me is way out of adjustment for my father. A good primer is https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/scope ... djustment/. Parallax goes hand in glove with an inconsistent position / cheek weld - when the cross-hairs move, so do the positions that allow the cross-hairs to be on target.
I should state that I actually tested in between shots using my off hand to hold the bag on some shots and then hold a leg of the bipod to load it more on others to see how that would affect things. The bench was smooth and didn't have much to put pressure on the legs without them sliding forward. From these two groups I couldn't say there was much difference in that aspect. What you're saying otherwise might just be how consistent I am with everything? I've been trying to focus more on my trigger squeeze and find when my shots are off to the side I didn't slowly squeeze into the trigger, more of jerked it. So im definitely conscious of that, maybe have to work on consistent sight alignment and cheek weld.

Back