Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
So saturday I went with my brother to a local gun and pawn shot, that has a huge ruger sale every year. I had a slight hope I might find a #1 or hawkeye safari in 9.3x62. Thought that would go great with my 98 mauser in 9.3x62. Didnt find one of those, but I did see this one In 275 rigby. Seemed like a good deal, but I decided not to buy it. Well it ate me up sunday, so i called this morning and left after work to go get it. Has very nice wood, and iron sights. And a very slim and slender stock that feels great in the hands. I had a fixed 6x leupold put on it and brought it home with me. Now starts the gathering components. I believe these rifle have a fast twist and are throated for the long heavy bullets. Picking up some norma 7x57 brass, and have not decided on bullet or weight yet. Prolly end up trying the 156-175 grain weights. Ordered 2 boxes of PPU 139 grain soft points to break it in. This was a lipsey dealer rifle and only 250 were made I believe. Looking forward to trying it out
4a9f9ee3ea5746d4c3b64163152ecce2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Do believe this will make an exceptional whitetail rig for where I hunt in Mississippi.

That is a great grab for you. Excellent acquisition that'll do the trick with deer.

Nice find! Don't overlock the 120 gr BT. My son and a friend use them in their 7x57 and are great on deer. 140 gr second choice. Dan.

Thanks guys! I'll prolly start with 140's and then go up to the heavies. I have no doubt about that 120 BT. I used the 120 BT in a 260 for years and it was a deer killer no doubt.

That's a beautiful rifle and a fantastic classic chambering. I've had great results in my 7x57 with Remington, Winchester, and Norma brass, with Norma being the best. So far I've taken whitetails with the Hornady 154gr. Interlock, Sierra 140gr. Gamekings, and 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 120s are top choice for me, and the 140 Sierras also performed well. The 120s shot best with Varget and RL15. The 140s and 154s shoot best with H414 and H4350.

I hope you get to break that rifle in this fall on a big southern buck and post pictures iif you do

6.5_sWv":ym3bduxi said:
That's a beautiful rifle and a fantastic classic chambering. I've had great results in my 7x57 with Remington, Winchester, and Norma brass, with Norma being the best. So far I've taken whitetails with the Hornady 154gr. Interlock, Sierra 140gr. Gamekings, and 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 120s are top choice for me, and the 140 Sierras also performed well. The 120s shot best with Varget and RL15. The 140s and 154s shoot best with H414 and H4350.

I hope you get to break that rifle in this fall on a big southern buck and post pictures iif you do
Thanks man hopefully so!

I’ve seen the 6.5 Swedes and the 9.3’s but haven’t found the 275 Rigby version yet. I love that danged rifle. Ruger knocked it out of the park. You did it even better throwing that straight 6 on top! Can’t wait to hear how it breaks in for you.

With the twenty-four inch barrel, this should achieve excellent velocity for you. This is a most desirable rifle. With only 250 made, you definitely managed to snag a deal.

That rifle is a excellent find and I am sure you will be putting her to good use :wink:. We are looking forward to a couple of range reports with photos of course (y).

Thanks guys hopefully I can do some grouping this weekend. Only will have the PPU stuff, but that brand actually shot very good out of my 9.3x62. Friday I will order some dies, brass,and bullets.

I had heard that the stock dimensions were based off of jim Corbett's 275 rigby highland stalker. That may not be true, I dont know. I do know that it is the slimmest stock I've never felt on a ruger, almost seems small in the hands.

Cleveland48":3pxgd372 said:
I had heard that the stock dimensions were based off of jim Corbett's 275 rigby highland stalker. That may not be true, I dont know. I do know that it is the slimmest stock I've never felt on a ruger, almost seems small in the hands.

Yes sir. Heard the same thing. I love that old stalking rifle look and long barrel. Can’t wait to see what it does!

Well I went ahead and bedded the rear tang, and recoil lug today. Figured it couldn't hurt. Have not messed with the barrel channel yet to free float it. After bedding fully cured I'm going to check to mag box to make sure it can move slightly. I been studying the ruger forums all day and these three things seem to be the best bet. Even if it only shoots 2 inch groups I'll still keep it. It just handles and feels to good.

Cleveland48":3pnyk9ji said:
Well I went ahead and bedded the rear tang, and recoil lug today. Figured it couldn't hurt. Have not messed with the barrel channel yet to free float it. After bedding fully cured I'm going to check to mag box to make sure it can move slightly. I been studying the ruger forums all day and these three things seem to be the best bet. Even if it only shoots 2 inch groups I'll still keep it. It just handles and feels to good.

I have noted from my last couple Ruger's they are a little rough in the barrel and take some smoothing, so I wouldn't be to put off if it takes awhile to smooth out. JB the tar out of it!

Back