Finally found a ruger Hawkeye safari in 275 Rigby!

Too bad you were not able to find a 7 x 57 mauser to go with your 9.3 x 62. (-:

I have never used a 275 Rigby, but have hunted, a lot, with the 7 x 57 Mauser

Your decision to use the 6 fixed is an excellent decision and the 160 and 175 Woodleighs have worked very well for us, however recently the 156 Norma Oryx has worked for the little stuff ( Nyala ) and large stuff ( Eland ) so you might try that.

This caliber will work well for the little girl in the picture in a few years as the recoil is mild and we see more and more females using this caliber.

If she does become a hunter and uses the rifle, maybe you can but a piece of tape over the 275 Rigby designation and mark it correctly--just a thought

Best Regards

Jamila

I could be wrong but didn't Rigby just mark the .275 as 7MM? Seems like I read that somewhere not too long ago. I built a custom Mauser in 7x57 a few years back. Been trying to find a load it and I both agree upon. For some reason it shows high pressure way before my other two 7x57 rifles do.
As an aside. I have a red box by Remington with unprimed brass head stamped RP 7MM. No other markings. I wonder how old those are?
Paul B.

Africa Huntress":hde3mcs9 said:
Too bad you were not able to find a 7 x 57 mauser to go with your 9.3 x 62. (-:

I have never used a 275 Rigby, but have hunted, a lot, with the 7 x 57 Mauser

Your decision to use the 6 fixed is an excellent decision and the 160 and 175 Woodleighs have worked very well for us, however recently the 156 Norma Oryx has worked for the little stuff ( Nyala ) and large stuff ( Eland ) so you might try that.

This caliber will work well for the little girl in the picture in a few years as the recoil is mild and we see more and more females using this caliber.

If she does become a hunter and uses the rifle, maybe you can but a piece of tape over the 275 Rigby designation and mark it correctly--just a thought

Best Regards

Jamila
Yes Jamila my little girl has already asked if that could be her gun when she got bigger. So far she loves to "work" on gun stuff as she calls it lol. She really enjoys helping reload also, so I'm hoping she keeps an interest in firearms or hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PJGunner":1kzf4ugy said:
I could be wrong but didn't Rigby just mark the .275 as 7MM? Seems like I read that somewhere not too long ago. I built a custom Mauser in 7x57 a few years back. Been trying to find a load it and I both agree upon. For some reason it shows high pressure way before my other two 7x57 rifles do.
As an aside. I have a red box by Remington with unprimed brass head stamped RP 7MM. No other markings. I wonder how old those are?
Paul B.
I bet that's a very old box.

That sure is a darn fine looking rifle! Ruger builds a really solid well made rifle. I know my son sure likes his Ruger MKII and I have two 1B's that you could not pry out of my hands. I saw some of the Hornady factory ammo here where I live in one of our sporting goods stores that shows it for the 275 Rigby! You need to snag a couple of those boxes of ammo just to display!

Like Jamila I to applaud you on your choice of scope. PERFECT scope for that rifle and an awful lot of others!!

David

Thanks David! I to think the 6x will be perfect for my hunting needs. I also put a fixed 4x on my 9.3x62, and I cant wait to try it out this year. Last two years I've handicapped myself with it and fixed sights, or a red dot. I just received two boxes of the PPU 7x57 139 grain soft points, and it's a very good looking shell. I believe I'm gonna try this brass out first. It's the only brass I've used in my 9.3x62. And I'm on about 8 reloads so far with no loose primer pockets yet. And I load my 9.3 very hot with john barnes loads. About 2500 fps with 286 grain bullets, so the brass has definitely held up very well plus it's just downright cheap lol. I think the PPU brass in the 7x57 will be just fine my target is around 2600 fps with 160 grain when I start reloading for it. I dont know why but I just like using the heavier caliber bullets at moderate velocity in the old cartridges. That's pretty much what made them famous in the first place.

6mm Remington":qq1wbn5x said:
That sure is a darn fine looking rifle! Ruger builds a really solid well made rifle. I know my son sure likes his Ruger MKII and I have two 1B's that you could not pry out of my hands. I saw some of the Hornady factory ammo here where I live in one of our sporting goods stores that shows it for the 275 Rigby! You need to snag a couple of those boxes of ammo just to display!

Like Jamila I to applaud you on your choice of scope. PERFECT scope for that rifle and an awful lot of others!!

David
I also found some hornady ammo marked 275 rigby on gunbroker. I'm planning on picking some up just to have. Would love to find an old box of kynoch to display, but I probably couldn't afford it lol.

Cleveland48":8r46xy5z said:
6mm Remington":8r46xy5z said:

David
I also found some hornady ammo marked 275 rigby on gunbroker. I'm planning on picking some up just to have. Would love to find an old box of kynoch to display, but I probably couldn't afford it lol.

You might need the brass marked 275 Rigby if you ever take it to Africa. That is the best looking rifle I have seen in a long while!
Scott

Well the 275 is slowly but surely getting a little bit tighter. It is set for now, deer season opens in a few weeks here.
cc2202328282566cb727e7ab5f8e3eb3.jpg

It looks good enough to put meat on the table. It wasn't all that many years ago when those groups would be considered top tier. Here's to a successful season for you.

Looks like that devil will get it done. Solid combo right there.

Have you ever put one of them into the jugs at that speed?

SJB358":20zlficx said:
Looks like that devil will get it done. Solid combo right there.

Have you ever put one of them into the jugs at that speed?
I have not maybe I can get around to it pretty soon. I'd like to see how they do myself.

Back