First range trip with the ruger african 275 rigby.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Finally got to do some shooting today. Was okay so far I guess. I struggled with the 6 power a little bit. And the trigger is a tad bit heavy. Tonight I finally got the box magazine where it isn't binding anymore, and can move it around. They say that usually helps alot. The floor plate was hitting on it pretty hard. Also got the last of the high spot out of the barrel channel tonight, so hopefully tm after church will be better. I only had PPU 139 gr and federal power shock 140 gr to try. So far it's a pretty solid 1.5 moa gun, which honestly is plenty enough for my hunting. Maybe I can entice it down a touch more. I do believe it is throated and twisted for the heavier bullets though. So I'll be loading some 160-175 gr bullets within the next week. The rifle handles amazing though, and love the feel of the stock. Oh that .406" group I'm pretty sure was a fluke lol.
08d002ab849823ea061bf95bd9607708.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That is good groups for just two different factory loads. One for sure. Given time and more trial and error You'll find something it really likes. Hope you get to punch your tag with it this year! Dan.

It does look as if you're moving in the right direction. At least you've made it to the range. That is more than I've done for some time. Looking good so far.

So went back today after church. I managed to get the magazine box fully floated where you can move it with your fingers. The PPU and federal 140 soft points were about the same so no change. I did manage to find a box of sellior and bellot 140 grain round nose soft points, and I decided to shoot them last. Was very happy with them, and seems like a whole new rifle lol. Plus it's a good looking bullet for $18.99 a box, but not sure if they still make it. All I saw on midway from S&B was 173 grain round nose. Anyway here are the groups.
d11b3c9f6c7db442e568c125c47edd08.jpg
de2414fa93b520d59ad4d9a0e7237596.jpg

Will be ordering dies tonight. Right now I'm planning on the 160 grain speer hot cor. Everything I've read says the Rugers in 7x57 are fast twisted and throated for heavy bullets. So I'm hoping the 160 gr will do good, but deep down I'm wanting to try some 175's lol.

S&B has always appeared to be excellent ammunition. The 140 grain may just be the ticket with your rifle.

I was just wondering, isn't the .275 Rigby just a fancy way to say 7x57mm?
I could be wrong.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":9ijl0fb0 said:
I could be wrong.

Nope, you're right on the money. The Rigby people "adopted" the 7x57 and called it the .275 Rigby.

HAWKEYESATX":1wejrrpm said:
I could be wrong.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Yes it is the absolute same cartridge.

DrMike":h9gx3uyd said:
S&B has always appeared to be excellent ammunition. The 140 grain may just be the ticket with your rifle.
It definitely shoots better that the PPU 139 or federal 140. Plus the round nose is actually quite attractive. I'd like to see how the perform on deer. Then again any cup and core bullet will probably perform beautifully at 2650 fps. Really wanting to try these 160's at that same speed. Tonight I ordered Redding dies and the 160 hot cor. And a rifle basix trigger. Found data for my favorite powder RL16. They were getting 2675 fps with 18 1/2" barrel. So I should get in the 2600's with a 24" barrel without much fuss. I'll only be using this rifle in our greenfields with are 120 yards or less. Figure that bullet and speed combo should work very nicely.

I’d imagine for your intended use, that will be just dandy. Looks as if it wants to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":tjeyti5g said:
DrMike":tjeyti5g said:
It definitely shoots better that the PPU 139 or federal 140. Plus the round nose is actually quite attractive. I'd like to see how the perform on deer. Then again any cup and core bullet will probably perform beautifully at 2650 fps. Really wanting to try these 160's at that same speed. Tonight I ordered Redding dies and the 160 hot cor. And a rifle basix trigger. Found data for my favorite powder RL16. They were getting 2675 fps with 18 1/2" barrel. So I should get in the 2600's with a 24" barrel without much fuss. I'll only be using this rifle in our greenfields with are 120 yards or less. Figure that bullet and speed combo should work very nicely.

Before you replace the trigger, try a trigger spring from MCarbo. I have swapped all of my Rugers over to this 5 dollar spring and lightly honed the engagement surface and it's netted me a nice 2.75/3lb pull on them all.

On the accuracy front, don't fret it too much yet buddy. If it's like the other Ruger's I have owned, you are just smoothing it out a little and it'll continue to get better as that barrel smooths out and shoots in some. I usually clean them liberally with JB's for the first few times and have had excellent luck with them like that.

RL17 has worked really well for me and the 7x57 from 140's to 160's and I am sure it would be just as good with the 175's. If anyone with ears on has QL handy, ask them to run some numbers with the 7x57 to 60K PSI and the 175 Partition, I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how much of an animal it is.

Looking at your groups with the factory ammo would make me very happy to be honest with the run of the mill factory stuff they make for the 7x57, with good loads and the work you have done, I think you're well on the way to an excellent hunting rifle. That 6X will grow on you. Look for some targets with larger, matte colored aiming points and I bet you'll appreciate them.

SJB358":3l1d7e50 said:
Cleveland48":3l1d7e50 said:
DrMike":3l1d7e50 said:

Before you replace the trigger, try a trigger spring from MCarbo. I have swapped all of my Rugers over to this 5 dollar spring and lightly honed the engagement surface and it's netted me a nice 2.75/3lb pull on them all.

On the accuracy front, don't fret it too much yet buddy. If it's like the other Ruger's I have owned, you are just smoothing it out a little and it'll continue to get better as that barrel smooths out and shoots in some. I usually clean them liberally with JB's for the first few times and have had excellent luck with them like that.

RL17 has worked really well for me and the 7x57 from 140's to 160's and I am sure it would be just as good with the 175's. If anyone with ears on has QL handy, ask them to run some numbers with the 7x57 to 60K PSI and the 175 Partition, I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how much of an animal it is.

Looking at your groups with the factory ammo would make me very happy to be honest with the run of the mill factory stuff they make for the 7x57, with good loads and the work you have done, I think you're well on the way to an excellent hunting rifle. That 6X will grow on you. Look for some targets with larger, matte colored aiming points and I bet you'll appreciate them.
Thanks man! Would anyone happen to know what a good torque setting on the action screws would be since its bedded?? I know its gorilla tight with the factory set up, but hoping since its bedded I could back it down some. I dont even have a torque wrench that goes to the 95 in-lbs ruger suggest lol.

First off, I'll second the use of Re17. I get good velocity and accuracy with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition.

Second, and this is from a post by John Barsness elsewhere on safe attainable velocities in a 7x57.

"Here's an approximate list for 7x57's with at least 21-22" barrels:

120-grain: 3100 fps
130:3000
140: 2900
150: 2800
160: 2700
175: 2550

So far I haven't found any new and magic powders that will beat those muzzle velocities at "modern" pressures. And there's no reason to anyway."

My data with Re17 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. Rifle used was a Winchester M70 Featherweight, 22" barrel. Scope a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 set at 9X.

1. 47.0 gr. 2710 FPS ES 26 FPS Group a one inch triangle.
2. 47.5 gr. 2751 FPS ES 19 FPS Group 1 1/8x1x1/2" The one out was probably shooter error.
3. 48.0 gr. Missing FPS ES Missing FPS Group 1x3/8" As in group 2 the flyer was to the left of the main group. Velocity missing due to chronograph malfunction.
4. 48.5 gr. 2847 FPS ES 39 FPS Group 3/4x 1/4" two literally in the same hole and the outlier 3/4" above the hole.
4. 48.5 gr.

Hope this helps.
Paul B.

Sure looks like it's gonna be a winner! If you want, I have been able to find Hornady brass marked 275 Rigby if you wanted some of those for well, just because.

PJGunner":22lix6o4 said:
First off, I'll second the use of Re17. I get good velocity and accuracy with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition.

Second, and this is from a post by John Barsness elsewhere on safe attainable velocities in a 7x57.

"Here's an approximate list for 7x57's with at least 21-22" barrels:

120-grain: 3100 fps
130:3000
140: 2900
150: 2800
160: 2700
175: 2550

So far I haven't found any new and magic powders that will beat those muzzle velocities at "modern" pressures. And there's no reason to anyway."

My data with Re17 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. Rifle used was a Winchester M70 Featherweight, 22" barrel. Scope a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 set at 9X.

1. 47.0 gr. 2710 FPS ES 26 FPS Group a one inch triangle.
2. 47.5 gr. 2751 FPS ES 19 FPS Group 1 1/8x1x1/2" The one out was probably shooter error.
3. 48.0 gr. Missing FPS ES Missing FPS Group 1x3/8" As in group 2 the flyer was to the left of the main group. Velocity missing due to chronograph malfunction.
4. 48.5 gr. 2847 FPS ES 39 FPS Group 3/4x 1/4" two literally in the same hole and the outlier 3/4" above the hole.
4. 48.5 gr.

Hope this helps.
Paul B.
Thanks! I ran across that same post on 24 Hr campfire and wrote it in my notes lol

6mm Remington":3mp0iw37 said:
Sure looks like it's gonna be a winner! If you want, I have been able to find Hornady brass marked 275 Rigby if you wanted some of those for well, just because.
Thanks I have found some on gunbroker, but that's about it.

Back