Savage caliber change?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
I have a Savage low profile in 223 back from the time when I was just a target shooter.
Since we have a minimum of 6,5 mm for big game, I rarely take it out.
I love that rifle and my boy will need a rifle next year, so I am thinking of giving it a new life.

The magazine can take up to 308, so I would need a new barrel (or have it re-bored). But what about the bolt? Can the top be changed, do I need a new one, can it be widened so the 308 case fits?
Savage does not have an email-address, maybe I call them..

Thanks
Frank
6c513dcd80a48eb2970982acb78d5ccf.jpg
719317e831ed40fc3c342906c3031c02.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":6ahc0tze said:
I have a Savage low profile in 223 back from the time when I was just a target shooter.
Since we have a minimum of 6,5 mm for big game, I rarely take it out.
I love that rifle and my boy will need a rifle next year, so I am thinking of giving it a new life.

The magazine can take up to 308, so I would need a new barrel (or have it re-bored). But what about the bolt? Can the top be changed, do I need a new one, can it be widened so the 308 case fits?
Savage does not have an email-address, maybe I call them..

Thanks
Frank
6c513dcd80a48eb2970982acb78d5ccf.jpg
719317e831ed40fc3c342906c3031c02.jpg

The great thing about the Savage bolt head is that you can push that large, black pin out and replace the bolt head with a standard .473 case head. You will have to get a gunsmith, or if you have enough knowledge, to true that bolt head to your rifles receiver.
From what I understand, Savage 110 bolt action rifles are fairly simple to switch out barrels and bolt heads.
Making it into a .308, or even a 7mm-08 should be quick.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear!
I will contact a few gunsmiths to see if they can get the parts and start the project!

Yea, it's a simple process to swap out the bolt head. And it's also pretty easy and almost foolproof to swap out barrels, I've done it twice on 110/10's...Really all you need is the barrel nut wrench, and rent a set of go/no-go gauges and you're good to go...I think both times it took under 30 minutes to change the barrels.

hunter24605":3pvqlzsh said:
Yea, it's a simple process to swap out the bolt head. And it's also pretty easy and almost foolproof to swap out barrels, I've done it twice on 110/10's...Really all you need is the barrel nut wrench, and rent a set of go/no-go gauges and you're good to go...I think both times it took under 30 minutes to change the barrels.
Thanks again!
Such jobs have to be done by a gunsmith here, but still good to know it is simple.
My favorite gunsmith has a 260 rem barrel in the shop, so I am tempted...

Mine's a factory gun in 260 Rem and has been a good gun. I have threatened to "upgrade" it to another brand but the rifle does work well so I'm going to keep it as is. Having a magazine that can take bullets seated out to 3.00" is really nice to have. A 260 in a Savage is a nice gun to have.

37697494595_d085281140_c.jpg

I am still undecided what to do
Option one: sell it and get a new one. Prices rose since I got it and used left-hands are rare, so I might get good money. MIGHT.

Option two is caliber change.

I really like the rifle, so there is a tendency...

All you need is a barrel vise, an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, a pre threaded and chambered barrel(make sure you know if its a large or small shank), bolt head and go no-go gauges. Since you are going from 223 to likely a short action length a new box mag and follower will be needed. OEM savage is fine. While doing the swap I would change the firing pin and the recoil lug to a machined quality one vs the factory. I have done several Savage short actions and stevens 200s. Does not take that long honestly. Wheeler, Brownells and EABCO sell kits.

I would really like to do it myself, but such things have to be done by a gunsmith over here.
But I have a good one, so I am sure get a shooter back!

Guten Morgan! Well, it is here now, ha. So, did you decide to go with the .308 or another caliber? I was a soldier in '72-'73 down in Augsburg, but did not make enough money to get into hunting. Lots of hogs and roe deer out in those fields! :)

About when I was born ;-)

I haven't decided, yet.

I am leaning to 260 rem - 308 is so close to my 30-06 and I like to play with a new caliber.

On the other hand, I have all the reloading equipment for the 308, including powder....

Midway has er shaw barrels in 6.5x47,260, 7-08,308, and 358 in stock and on sale. I'm thinking of getting the 358 to convert a Stevens 200 .243 I have.

Nothing wrong with the 260 Remington.
Great cartridge that will serve both you and your son well.
Best of luck to you.

JD338

I know this is a few weeks old but don't forget with a savage 223 they install a different bolt baffle to act as a stop so you have a shorter throw. Going to anything over about 2.350" OAL will mean getting a new bolt baffle without the stop. There is no difference between long and short action baffles, just the short throw that you already have and standard baffles.

I've used the short throw in long actions with short action calibers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the details - although I must admit that some words pushed my English to the limit ;-)

But I got the message.

I hope my gunsmith knows all that - if not, I will show him rhis...

Depending on your local market, by the time you pay your gunsmith and buy all the parts...you might just be able to buy a new rifle and keep your old one "as-is".'

I realize that most of Europe is very different in that regard, but it's an option you might consider. But, .260 is perfect for a new shooter and hunter to start out with so either choice will have your son a good rifle to start hunting with!

I need to get at least half the current price of the new gun plus the money for the change to get an equivalent. Don't know if that is possible. If, I would sell it and get a new one.
Maybe I just try and if I can't sell it, plan b is the new barrel...

update: I am trying to sell the weapon. If I get the price I want, I will shop for a new rifle.
Since distances max out to 330y and game is not that big, I am looking for a a rifle in the 6,5-270 range. My 30-06 can do all I need, but I feel good to have a back-up.
Being a lefty, choice is limited. I REALLY like the Bergaras, but the HMR is currently the only one they offer left-handed. Would like the ridge much better, but it is not available in left yet.
6,5x55, 260 or the Creedmoor will be the ones I will choose from. Bullets with a good bc will catch up to the bullet I currently use in 30-06 at 330y, due to better bc.
I will search for the right gun for me - keep you posted what I ended up with...

Back