6.5 (.264") Sierra 130gr Gamechanger / 6.5 Creedmoor

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
Conducted a bullet expansion test from my 6.5 Creedmoor. This is the load I will be deer hunting with this fall. Stats are as follows:

Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 Creedmoor
Jageman Brass (Large Primer Pockets)
Sierra 130gr. GameChanger
H4350 41.5gr.
Federal 210 Gold Medal Match Primer

Testing media used was milk jugs filled to the top with water stacked in front of one another. Testing range was 100 yards
9ye6Ec.jpg

Upon firing the round into the jugs, I couldn't help but be wowed by how much energy was transferred to the first jug. If you look in the picture, you'll see that the first jug the bullet impacted was sheered in half and each half is well over 10 feet from where I had them stacked. The line of jugs I was testing with this bullet are on the left.
6jl2qb.jpg

The bullet penetrated through 3 jugs and was found at the bottom of the 4rth jug.
YFO12k.jpg

Post shot stats :
Weight - 89.4grs.
Expansion - .613"
yBOs8T.jpg

Overall Im extremely impressed. The bullet more than doubled its original diameter. The weight retention was 69%. I was also happy to note that the jacket and core didn't separate.

I hope to report back later this fall with bullet results on a healthy deer.

Excellent performance of a fine bullet. Oh, yeah, that'll work for you.

That's a deer bullet in my book. Excellent performance.

JD338

Have some of these for my 260 Rem, they look really good too. I think Sierra did well in designing them. Have some 140's to run in my 270 Win this fall too on deer.

Great looking recovery right there! I like that big wide frontal area!

Blkram":3ix68zxj said:
Nice!
Any idea of velocity?
And what is your barrel length?

I honestly don't have the slightest. I don't have access to a chronograph so I just load for accuracy. I know that powder charge is about 1.5 grains under "book max".

My barrell length is 22 inches on the Mossberg Patriot

That load should work great for your deer hunt. I took a large Colorado doe antelope at 318 yards laser ranged October 2018. It was a through and through double lung and heart shot. She dropped right where she was, I know the antelope is not the same size as a deer, however that wont mater much with this bullet. Good luck on your hunt.

My load;
6.5 Creedmoor - Bergara B14 Ridge 24" barrel
Peterson Large Primer brass
42.3 grain H4350
CCI #200 Primer
130 grain Sierra Gamechanger

Great performance there. I been wanting to try these myself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wonder if my .264 Win Mag would turn them inside out ? I also wonder if they would stabilize in my factory barrel ?

1100 Remington Man":1yeec4t2 said:
I wonder if my .264 Win Mag would turn them inside out ? I also wonder if they would stabilize in my factory barrel ?

The twist rate on my Creedmoor is 1 in 8". I'm not sure what to tell you about your 264win mag but I do know you can purchase these in a 50rd box. Only 1 way to find out.
Maybe you could find a load near the middle of your loading data do your velocity wouldn't be too over the top.

1100 Remington Man":2i958eu8 said:

I think those at 3250-3300 would be pretty hard on stuff under a 100 yards but they seem pretty thick jacketed should be good as long as you aren’t hammering big bones.

Pretty hard to not use a bonded, mono or Partition if you’re expecting close shots with the bigger magnums though.

Back