Bullet puller

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
What do people use? Collet puller or the RCBS hammer? My RCBS hammer broke, so figuring what to buy. Seems the RCBS deforms the tips.

I use a collet puller, works better if you have several bullets to pull.
Cheers
Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I use the hammer, but I folded up a piece of tape and pushed it down into the bottom. Keeps the tips from getting deformed.

I have the RCBS Collet puller. It works well. The only quirk about mine is I have to unscrew it from the press with a wrench after I use it because it is firmly stuck in the threads.

And I’m not sure if any of them are great; pulling bullets is just no fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelkdouglas":2slaw6vi said:
I have the RCBS Collet puller. It works well. The only quirk about mine is I have to unscrew it from the press with a wrench after I use it because it is firmly stuck in the threads.

I use the Hornady version, but yup, pulling bullets stinks!

joelkdouglas":2gqrxcvs said:

Same here, RCBS and you need a wrench to unscrew it from the press afterwards. The extra collets cost money of course but once you have them they will last for a lifetime.

I agree with the others on the RCBS collet puller, I have been using mine since 1976, yes sometimes it will tighten itself up.

I find the Rock Island hammer versatile, (various Cal.), cheap and therapeutic. :) I beat it against the end of a 4"x4" post. CL

orchemo":26w599gi said:
What do people use? Collet puller or the RCBS hammer? My RCBS hammer broke, so figuring what to buy. Seems the RCBS deforms the tips.

If your RCBS hammer broke, RCBS will mail you a replacement...just email them.
I told them mine broke & I immediately received a reply telling me they’d send a replacement.
It duly arrived (y) (y) (y) great service.
However, definitely a collet bullet puller is best IMO.
Cheers.

bdbrown66":3q2osqgf said:
I use the hammer, but I folded up a piece of tape and pushed it down into the bottom. Keeps the tips from getting deformed.
I use a piece of foam in the bottom. (y)

LOL
I use a pair of channel lock pliers.
Put cartridge in press.
Lift up.
Grab bullet with pliers such that it sets on top frame.
Pull handle down.

I have both hammer and collet bullet puller. With the hammer I put a piece of closed cell foam rubber in it to protect the bullet tip and I bought the collet puller on a whim.
They both have their issues and pulling bullets is a pain.
If I only have one or two bullets to pull I use the hammer sold by Dillon and hit it on a 5lb block of lead which seems to cause the bullet to release easier. Sometimes the bullet will stick in the collet puller and requires extra work to remove but I use it when I need to pull a batch of bullets or need to check a suspect powder charge and need to weigh it.
Wish there was a way to keep the collet die from getting tight in the press so it could be removed easier.

Ray's idea does work and I have used it but you can forget about reusing the bullet.

I too use Grip-N-Pull and they work really well. I have yet to damage a bullet as you don't have to have more than a light grip to pull a bullet. Tool works in conjunction with your press and you are able to save the powder and without making a mess on your bench. I have both the large rifle and standard rifle tools.

truck driver":fyrxj7mz said:
Ray's idea does work and I have used it but you can forget about reusing the bullet.

LOL
I have light sanded and reused'em for load development.
I've never shot'em for group or use'em for hunting.
BUT:

LOL - Maybe I should try a group "pliered" bullets vs new ones?!

RCBS collet (got them for every diameter they make) and lyman kinetic bullet puller.

FYI If you're going to pull 378 416 460 Bees you need the lyman. The RCBS kinetic will not facilitate the big cases!

Foam ear plug in the hammer puller cushions the bullets.
I hardly use mine since I got the RCBS press mounted puller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back