Not everyone's cup of tea but a score in my book.

6mm Remington":2r7iy4si said:
Out of my rifle I shoot a 100 gr. Nosler Partition. IMR4350 has been the powder I've used so far. I would imagine the 95 or 100 gr. Partition, 90 gr. AccuBond, or 90 gr. E-tip would all work nicely. Looks like she's going to be a shooter, and one that's nice to look at as well!

David
Firstly, that rifle was an awesome find, you are a lucky guy, do the lottery, now!

I am interested in IMR4350 loads for the .243 100 gr NP's if you have any experience?
I use RL19 40.4 gr and Speer 100gr BTSP but I have run out of that powder and head but have been given plenty of the NP's to play with and use IMR4350 in my 30-06

Thanks

Great find! Your rifle shoots as well as a custom Pac-Nor heavy barrel I had put on a Mod 700, also in 6mm Remington! I was shooting the Hornady 65 Vmax for PDs. When I was growing up in East, Texas, ( I remember from 1967 to 87 before I left for Bible School) The Mod 742 in 6mm Remington was the "Ne Plus Ultra" for those deer/hogs, ha. Also with the 100gr Corlokt. My BIL had a Mod 788/6mm Rem that was a tack driver, and it took him about 6 yrs before it sold! Back then/there, seems everyone wanted a Mod 742! My youngest BIL still uses his! ha Great find.

I've been very tickled with this rifle from day one and thought I got a great deal, especially since it's about 98 percent condition and thought it would be nice, someday, to add a standard BDL in 6mm to also use so I've been just informally watching the auction.

Another one just like this popped up. Mine is a 72 and the one that popped up was a 1970 so I added it to my watch list along with a really nice standard BDL, that I thought (and still do) was sky high in price.

As I said, I thought the price was low and whacked the BIN button immediately. It had been listed less than 15 minutes. The one like mine sold this afternoon and I about fainted when I saw the selling price! With 35 bucks in shipping it ended up just over 3x what picked this one up for, so I'm even MORE tickled.

I guess even blind old hogs can find an acorn now and then if they keep looking.

It is indeed a shooter, I feel. I think I'll pick up a decent synthetic stock for out and about and put the original back so I dont ding the heck out of it.........and I know I would, lol.

Dang, I could rebarrel my 700 243 Win and not have any more money in it than the 700 BDLs are going for in 6mm Rem, but then it wouldnt BE an original so............*sigh*.

Sometimes being a Remington nutcase (and any other mfg nutcase too, I'm sure) can get expensive.

So much for there being a "soft" market, at least on these.

Thanks to all. I couldnt be more pleased with this rifle and I appreciate the kind replies.
God Bless
Steve

Hopefully. Back surgery the 25th of this month. Should be recooped enough to go out. I'll just have to find help dragging. Doc's already told me NO on dragging, or lifting more than 10 lbs for AT LEAST 3-4 months. :(

Ha! I might have to get a gun bearer! :lol:

It should whack a whitetail just fine.
God Bless
Steve

Neat rifle!

I had a patient's wife give me his well-worn Rem 700 in 6mm Remington earlier this year. He died a couple of years ago after a bout with Parkinsons, but regaled me for years with his stories of using that rifle for antelope and mule deer in Wyoming.

Since then I've had the barreled action reblued, and the stock refinished. I've spent a lot of time trying to find "the" load for it without much success. However, it shoots 95gr Nospler Partitions very well (not my ammo) so I've at least got something to use.

In a few weeks I'll be taking it to WY and shooting an antelope with it in honor of its previous owner.

Good luck with that beautiful rifle!

I don't know what it is but when I buy a rifle or shotgun from an individual, I always ask about what history they can give me on it.

Knowing the history of uses gives them more character or something, not sure, but I do know that the information stays with me for years go come and often comes to mind while I'm out hunting with it.

Love to have a standard weight one day but, this one is going to be my "go to" for some time.
God Bless
Steve

So my dad calls me, says he just bought a long bed truckload of assorted gun parts, reloading supplies, old ammo, contender barrels, mounts, stocks, molds, you name it 70 year collection off an estate.

Well we get to digging through it, find a 788 6mm barreled action, no bolt. Then find the bolt, find the stock in 90% condition. Just put it all together, he hasn’t decided to sell it or keep it, but it sure seems like a great round!

I told Dad I know for a fact he bought too much junk. He said why? I said because if you bought enough that you don’t even know there’s a rifle in it, you bought too much hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back