Comparing 338 Federal performance

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
While my custom Winchester Model 88 in 338 Federal is still in the shop having its feedingissue dealt with, I was able to pick up a LH Tikka T3 with a Swarrovski Z3 3-10x42 and a RH Ruger M77 Hawkeye with a Leupold Vari-X 3 3.5-10x40, in 338 Federal.
Finally got around to shooting these both today.
Tried the Federal 200 gr Fusion ammo in the Tikka, and it printed a 1.229" 3 shot group at 100 yards after getting it sighted in.
The Ruger Hawkeye performed better with the Federal Premium 210 gr Partition ammo, printing a 3 shot group of 0.710" at 100 yards.
In comparison, the Model 88 shoots the Federal Premium 210 gr Partition load in under 1".
(Sorry, have not chronied these loads)
Really enjoying this cartridge!

Hope to find a LH Ruger M77 Hawkeye in a short action to do a barrel swap so as to have a LH Ruger in 338 Federal (bolt action to pair with the lever action).

I have a younger friend who gets terrific accuracy from his Tikka 338F. He uses the Barnes 185 TSX factory load for both mule deer and elk. He has taken both and he really likes the rifle. I owned a Ruger 77 All Weather 338F, back in 2007. I had my right wrist/thumb joint replaced and the Doc said "no pistols or heavy recoiling rifles for you this year" so, I had a brake put on the little rifle and it was a .243 in disguise, ha. It shot the Speer 200, 210P, 185TSX and the Nosler 180AB very well. My SIL used the AB on a mule deer with it. I later worked up aload with TAC/Barnes 160TTSX for 3007fps! But I wanted "more", so sold it to buy a 338WM. Yeah...I know...:(

An acquaintance of mine gravitated to the 338FED at its introduction and has taken quite a few moose and other assorted critters. His report is that the 210 Partition is the beginning and the end of the list of bullets. His results were so good, he just bought enough to last him for another 2 lifetimes.

Other bullets will obviously work just fine too, but he says the 210PT at the typical impact speeds of the 338FED are basically perfection...especially in one of those 5.5 pound Kimbers.

The 185 TSX worked very well in my buddies lightweight 338 federal. Hard to beat a sub 5 pound setup!

260f5b05b1d9b2808bf703d4514987a5.jpg
2402ea0db3df625799d5f5b3f511d53b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the 210 PT I used in my customized Model 88 on that caribou bull worked very well last year.
As I built that rifle for bear hunting, I bought as much of the Federal Premium ammo I could find in the 210 PT. Have 17 boxes on hand.
Found a few boxes of the 200 gr Fusion ammo at a local gunshow for $20/box and couldn't pass those up.
Both previous owners of the Tikka and the Ruger were both shooting the 180 AB in factory form and handloads and reported sub-MOA performance with them. Need to find a couple of boxes to test for myself. Love the AccuBond and have never been let down by its performance in any caliber or cartridge I have used them in.
Have just felt that the cartridge begs for the heavier bullets. Keep the 180 gr AB to my 300 WSM.
Although I have used the 210PT in Wby factory ammo in my 338-06, and have a bunch on hand, I am using the 215 gr SGK with great results.
And have always used the 210PT in the 338 Win Mag. (Don't have one in my battery anymore. Need to get another! LOL but m happy with the Federal and -06 for now)

I have this Model 7 308 I want to turn into a 338F so bad, but I’m attached to it. I need to buy one that’s not sentimental and just do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the 338F. I had one in a Sako 85 Grey Laminated and sold it to a friend. I now have one in a Sav 16 with a Houge Rubber Stock. Not pretty but oh I like the feel of that gun in the rain while tip toeing thru the timber. 200 SBT or 210 PT are my handloads but have used 200 Fusion in factory form. All great performers. The Fusion 200 has been full pass thru on a few cow elk so far.

I shoot a Ruger M77 338 federal with hand loads only. I've taken my biggest whitetail to date with it and the 180gr AccuBond at about 2725fps. I took a quartering towards shot, snuck it behind the front shoulder and got the bullet back under the hide in front of the rear ham. Barely any meat loss and the tape measure said 23.5" of bullet travel. A palm size piece of lung came out the entrance wound. Retained weight was 146gr.

It is one of my favorite rounds and cannot recommend it enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Found the 12 rounds of 180 gr AB's that the fellow gave me when I bought the Ruger. Will have to try them for myself.
Congrats on your whitetail!
Sounds like the type of penetration and performance that I would expect with this cartridge and the AccuBond!

Coop- just send the rifle to JES and have it rebored for the 338 Fed! About $225 and you are still using your old "favorite rifle"! :)

preacher":29c2dmqc said:
Coop- just send the rifle to JES and have it rebored for the 338 Fed! About $225 and you are still using your old "favorite rifle"! :)

Yeah I’ve seriously considered that, it’s like dropping off a kid for surgery haha.

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Picked up a box of Federal blue box ammo for the 338 Federal this week that is loaded with the 200 gr Uni-Cor bullets. Have not heard of the Uni-Cor bullet before.
Is this the Speer Hot Cor rebadged by Federal for the ammunition line, like they do with the Deep Curl and Fusion ammo?
Looking forward to trying it in both the Ruger and the Tikka.

Back