Can’t decide

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Last year, end of elk season, after stuffing a bloody finger chew in my mouth, I quit chewing tobacco. 50 years is a long time, knew it would be tough, figured I could reward myself with a new rifle. The “boss” said if I made it back from AK and hadn’t started chewing again I could have any rifle I wanted. Been eyeing an MOA rifle ever since.
Flew home Friday evening, got home at 0200 Saturday morning, no water pressure, just a trickle from the well.
All day Saturday trying to diagnose the problem. It’s either the pump, the stand pipe or both. At 300 feet it ain’t gonna be an inexpensive fix.
So, being a little more conservative, a Ruger #1A in something like 6.5 or 7x57
Or something in an entry level PRS rifle. Just can’t decide.
Hope I’m up and running by Tuesday afternoon, the In-laws are coming.
Beginning to think I should have stayed in Alaska.

Don't overlook such rifles as Thompson Center Ventures, or Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunters.
They're fairly easy on the budget, and can give you multiple caliber choices, plus the money you save, you can get a really good scope to put on it.
Thompson Center guarantees minimum 1 MOA with their rifles.
Savages have always been known to be tack drivers as well.
Any way, my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I'd vote for a Ruger African Hawkeye in 6.5x55, a Ruger #1 or if you want a PRS sorta rifle, the Tikka CTR or their full on PRS set up isn't too bad if you shop around.

I like the Ruger African though.. Sharp rifle and not crazy expensive..

salmonchaser said:
The “boss” said if I made it back from AK and hadn’t started chewing again I could have any rifle I wanted.

Those 450/400 Doubles made by Holland and Holland are nice. Good grizzly stopper when your guiding. A 6.5 x 55 or 300 H & H custom build on a Win 70 pre 64 would also work

Just trying to help

I would look for a Model 70 action and do a build, make it to your specifications.

AY McDonald is making some new well pumps with Tesla motors. Hearing good things about them.

salmonchaser":dvsvnvyo said:
Last year, end of elk season, after stuffing a bloody finger chew in my mouth, I quit chewing tobacco. 50 years is a long time, knew it would be tough, figured I could reward myself with a new rifle. The “boss” said if I made it back from AK and hadn’t started chewing again I could have any rifle I wanted. Been eyeing an MOA rifle ever since.
Flew home Friday evening, got home at 0200 Saturday morning, no water pressure, just a trickle from the well.
All day Saturday trying to diagnose the problem. It’s either the pump, the stand pipe or both. At 300 feet it ain’t gonna be an inexpensive fix.
So, being a little more conservative, a Ruger #1A in something like 6.5 or 7x57
Or something in an entry level PRS rifle. Just can’t decide.
Hope I’m up and running by Tuesday afternoon, the In-laws are coming.
Beginning to think I should have stayed in Alaska.
We had the low pressure isue on a well. Turned out I had one leg of the power chewed on by rodents. The exposed wire was corroded. Check the voltage of each power wire at the well head.

Well the pump is toast. Took a couple of hours to get it out of the ground;
The well is 285 feet deep;
The pump was at 200;
Water was down at 122 feet. When the well was drilled in 2002 water table was 116 feet.
Well produces 18 gallon/minute.
Short a couple of parts, she’ll be up and running tomorrow.
In laws arrive this afternoon.
My neighbors well is 150 yards away
Now have a garden hose hooked up from his well to the house, all is good....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understand what your dealing with having helped my cousin pull his pump couple of times. Glad you were able to find the problem. Now back to picking a new gun! Dan.

The Lipsey's Special Edition Ruger No.1 KRSI in 6.5x55 (1 of 250 built) is a beautiful little rifle that I think would fit your desire for a rifle with class and distinction. A great cartridge in a classic rifle design that is capable of harvesting game from antelope to moose at reasonable ranges. There are a couple on Gunbroker. And prices are pretty reasonable for a limited production rifle. jmho.

What's missing in your weapons that's not really being met? Are you wanting something to stretch out the legs of long range..... those tend to be heavier, but you can get away with something like the 6mm stuff and still feel no recoil. Purpose built or the one gun that does it all? 30-06, 300 WM could do that. I'm not real keen on a single action for Alaska are you?

What about something big and slow? Brush buster although I don't think there is really such a thing, but you know where I'm going with that.

longrangehunter":jh996cii said:
What's missing in your weapons that's not really being met? Are you wanting something to stretch out the legs of long range..... those tend to be heavier, but you can get away with something like the 6mm stuff and still feel no recoil. Purpose built or the one gun that does it all? 30-06, 300 WM could do that. I'm not real keen on a single action for Alaska are you?

What about something big and slow? Brush buster although I don't think there is really such a thing, but you know where I'm going with that.
Been thinking about a purpose built long range rifle, something in a 6, or 6.5. I keep a .45-70; a .375; a 338; an 06 and two .450 Bushmasters in AK. Have a similar battery in Oregon So I’ve got that covered. I own one 6.5 Creedmoor, accurate little rifle that my Grandson has claimed for his first Oregon deer season. Thinking I won’t see that back, ever. I have the 25,s covered, just keep seeing the utility of that dang 6.5 as a deer/antelope/coyote rifle.
Fixing the well will probably kill my plans for a purpose built precision rifle.
Keep coming back to a stalking rifle, .257, 6.5 or 7x57, just because.

Now we know what you want a Remington 7 in the HS Precision Stock looks like you will have to get a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 7mm-08
The only thing is I wished it was in 24 inch barrel or 22 at a minimum.

Model 70 featherweight? My choice was 7mm-08 but dang I wish they still offered 6.5x55 or 7x57! They do have 6.5 Creed if that's what does it for ya.

I have two Ruger #1B's. One in 6mm Remington and one in 30-06. I love those rifles to carry, shoot, and hunt with. Both are very accurate. I have never felt compromised by the slightly slower speed I can reload with, but then I have also never faced a charging bear either. Speaking of bears, I have a teaser and hopefully I can get my story written so folks can see it. Grizzly bears that is!

I recall you writing about them, I have a couple as well. Simple elegance. Probably be a 6.5 or a 7 something.

So many to choose from. I’m actually a fan of quarter bores. There are also a couple of #1 in .257 bee out there. Kinda waiting to see the invoice on my well repair before I tap the trigger.

Back