Thinking about a new "Mountain" type hunting rifle...

desertcj

Handloader
Sep 27, 2010
I have a M70 featherweight in 7mm-08 and my other rifles are heavy 12lb long range setups. This would be a 400yd gun. Tikka t3x has caught my attention and I'm struggling between another 7mm-08, maybe have it throated long to take advantage of the long Tikka action? Probably won't gain too much performance but the advantage is that I already have 7mm-08 dies.

Other chamberings that I'm pondering are 270wsm, 7mm wsm and 300wsm. I've never played with any of the wsm family but I'm interested.

I doubt I'll ever hunt brown bears/Grizzlies, maybe elk or caribou but mainly mule deer and black bear. I need to shoot copper in my state, but I hunt other states as well. Anyone care to steer me towards one of these cartridges?

The WSMs are a fine family of cartridges. I have each of the cartridges you name; I like each of them. My 270 WSMs have accounted for elk, moose, mule deer, whitetail and black bear, launching a 130 grain E-Tip at relatively modest velocities. All the shots were "one and done." The 7mm WSM is equally good, accounting for a good variety of game. I have, however, used heavier bullets in that rifle (160 grain ABs). The 300 WSM has also taken a good variety of game (both big and small). My usual load launches 180 grain bullets, though recently I've been focused on 200 grain bullets. Can't imagine you'd go wrong with one of these fine cartridges.

I was actually leaning towards the 270wsm. Nosler data shows a 130gr E-tip at 3300-3400fps which would make for quite a flat shooting combo!

It is flat shooting, to be sure. The cartridge packs quite a punch and would definitely prove to be an excellent cartridge for mountain work.

Big fan of Forbes, now Barrett Fieldcraft. They just shoot great and many caliber options. Of course I would go with the 270 Win. I also really like my SAKO 85. What a well built factory rifle in many calibers.

I love the WSMs. My heart lies with the 270 but my common sense says 7. Out that rifle in a Kimber or M70 with a 3+” mag box and you have a do anything rifle you can make 8lbs all up and take anywhere. Nothing wrong with a fast twisted 270 WSM though. I’m kinda spit ballin about making mine over a bit myself.

They are easy to feed and they return a bunch of performance. The 300 WSM is neat to, but it didn’t stick as well as the smaller ones but I do like it for what it does.

A LA Tikka wouldn’t be bad either. Been waiting for someone to take a 7 or 300 mag and rebarrel to a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 WSM and reap all the benefits from that long action on a sweet platform.

270elk":13bfyijp said:
Big fan of Forbes, now Barrett Fieldcraft. They just shoot great and many caliber options. Of course I would go with the 270 Win. I also really like my SAKO 85. What a well built factory rifle in many calibers.
+1
I wouldn't mess with a tikka, eurooptic.com had a Sako 85 black synthetic 270win for 899 i think the price has gone up at their website, but call them they have them on gunbroker for 899 still. it weighs under 6.5 pounds. I got a 3006 when they had them in stock and it is a fantastic 'mountain type' rifle. Light, quick, smooth and holds 5 rounds in the mag. Its worth a look forsure!

I really like the WSMs, especially the .300, in a "mountain rifle". Enough power and reach for nearly any sort of reasonable shooting.

My M48 comes in at 8 pounds and is easily my favorite rifle. I've had a couple Tikkas, a Fieldcraft, and a Christensen. It's tough to go wrong with any of them.

The WSM’s are definitely good cartridges and you would not be disappointed. In the 270, I preferred the 140 gr AB for its higher BC and sectional density over the 130 grainer. Might not be as fast, but will actually perform better at 400 yards.
The Sako’s are great rifles and all of mine are very accurate.
Don’t overlook the Browning X Bolt, they are also good rifles and shoot very well. I actually prefer it over my Tikka T3.
Other great cartridge choices to look at for mountain hunting are the 280 Rem with 140 gr AB’s or the 6.5 PRC with 140 AB’s; both over 3000 fps.

I purchased my Kimber Montana in .300WSM a number of years ago. I've used it with 180 grain for Elk and loaded it down a bit with 165's for Deer. There is nothing that cartridge won't take. Energy wise it is definitely equal to the .300WM in a much lighter package. Accuracy wise I get less than 1 inch three shot groups at 100 yards so it's not lacking in that department. Worth some serious thought!

There is a Kimber Montana in .270 WSM on Gunbroker going for 1K right now! Slightly used ( not mine, but I drooled over it!).

I just ordered this in 240 Bee but it can be had in other calibers. Plus stamped Sheridan WY!

https://weatherby.com/store/markv-backcountry/

Mark V® Backcountry

Caliber 240 Wby. Mag, 257 Wby. Mag, 270 Wby. Mag, 280 ACKLEY IMP, 300 Wby. Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 WBY RPM, 6.5-300 Wby. Mag, 6MM CREEDMOOR, 7mm Wby. Mag

Weight: 5.3
Overall Length: 44.125"
Barrel Length & Contour: 22” #1 MOD
Action / Barrel OAL: RH 24”
Twist Rate: 1-7.5”
Mag Capacity: 4+1
Length of Pull: 13.5"
Drop @ Comb: .625"
Drop @ Heel: .325"

yup!!!!!! they are my 240 Bee is

Twist Rate: 1-7.5”

FOTIS":1b8gdctu said:
and the 7mm's are Twist Rate: 1-8.5”

I saw that a few weeks back. Adam Weatherby is going full speed ahead with updating the MK5's. I really like what he doing, plus they are putting excellent triggers in the rifles now with more sporter style stocks. If I find the right one, I'd love to support them with the move to Sheridan and updating their firearms to what most folks are wanting these days. All great moves in my book.

Those Weatherbies sure look like nice rifles! A bit above my pay grade though unfortunately.

Pretty tough to beat a Tikka T3x and the 270 WSM would be a great all around gun.

Take a look at the 280 AI.
Have a custom made off a M700 action
and get it built the way you want it.
Put it in a HS Precision Hunter stock and don't look back.
You will have a tack driver that has power for Elk and Moose and deer out to as far as you want to shoot them.
Bullets from 120 gr to 175 gr will cover all your hunting needs without the punishing recoil of the bigger Magnums.
The 280 AI is ballistically the same as the 7 WSM but the AI is 4+1 and feeds like butter vs. the 7 WSM 3+1 capacity.

JD338

Back