Cheek risers....

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I have no rifles with a cheek riser. I can shoot MOA with non-match grade equipment.

I am a hunter, not a sniper or competitive shooter.

My technique is simple. Line up my eye on the scope, line up on the target, and shoot.

If I had a riser, would it... a) help me get on the scope faster?
B) help me shoot more precisely?

I’m helping a youngster get ready for an elk hunt in NM. Guide told him, be prepared for 200-400 yard shots. Michigan hunters typically are shooting 50, 75, 100 yards. I’ve done some at 225 on a farm.. but that’s more the exception.

One lesson involved giving him my 336 XLR with a 1-5x zoom. I had him sight up on 1x on a 300 yard target. Then told him to just adjust the angle of his face. On the 1x, you can see the barrel, and suddenly he realized how critical cheek weld is to MOA or better shooting.

I’d love to hear from those with more experiences shooting precisely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, I do not have rifles with a cheek riser. My largest scope objective lens is 44mm which is still mounted with low rings.
I think they are more needed on rifles equipped with large objective lens scopes that require tall rings to mount the scope. These make it difficult to get a good cheek weld on a classic or even some monte carlo stocks and still have proper eye alignment.
Doesn't sound like it is needed in this instance, and it sounds like you are giving the youngster good instruction and lessons. I wouldn't worry about it. jmho

I've only put a cheek riser on one rifle for myself (and that's only because it's a Savage 99 with a low comb that doesn't work well with a scope) but did put one on my young daughter's rifle very quickly after watching her mount the rifle and shoot. With the scope set on low powers, she could mount and get behind the scope "fairly" quickly, but as she cranked the power up a bit, I noticed a lot more up and down head adjustment and moving around behind the scope to get the right scope picture. That simplified when we put a cheek riser on -- I think it helped her when mounting the rifle quickly as well as when trying to aim precisely on higher magnification. My suggestion would be to watch him in different positions (and shooting magnifications) and try to determine if his current "fit" to the stock is a help or hindrance. If he's moving around behind the scope a lot, fitting him with a temporary $30 cheek riser may simplify his world immensely (particularly on a hunt when nerves tend to complicate things with a young hunter).

Here's what I do: When I Mount my scopes I try and set up for correct eye relief to get the full field of view. If the cross hairs are level etc. I focus the crosshairs and then.... close my eyes, mount the gun...don't move...and then open my eye. What do you see? Adjust your comb height/ position so that each time you open your eyes, you see only the cross hairs and a FULL field of view w/o moving your head . Some times I need a friend to tell me if I'm moving or "adjusting". My friend who teaches trap looked down the barrel at my eye while I mounted my shotgun- same concept. CL

I like that CL! Maybe time to monkey with my scopes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I needed one was on a 300WM that had a 56mm scope on it, and I had to have my cheek off the stock to see clearly. Everytime I pulled the trigger I felt like a bobblehead on a paint shaker. I made a Kydex riser and it helped with alignment and helped to "control" the recoil. I've since replaced the scope with a 40mm, and don't need the riser anymore.

Bradley makes the best strap on cheek riser. There is a post reviewing it if you scroll back a ways

Hey- I re-read my post above. Not sure how to say it but proper eye relief should come with the cheek riser in place if a riser is needed. The key for me is to be able to shoulder the gun and have the sight picture PERFECT w/o out moving the gun as much as is possible. I would say that most of the people who say they don't/cant shoot a scope well have it in the wrong place or have too much magnification. When I run into some one with that issue I grab a 2-7 VX II, turn it down to its lowest setting, and ask then to shoulder the gun.... Usually a eye opener, no pun intended. They are clear when they are in the right place and pretty forgiving. Don't know if I made a point here. Eye lined up behind the scope, distance correct to get full field of view in a comfortable, natural position, cross hairs focused, low enough power. Those are my criteria. for what its worth....CL

Dr. Vette":19c60i42 said:
Highly recommended:

https://www.beartooth-products.com/coll ... iece-riser

My shooting partner has a couple of these, and they work great. By adding/subtracting the shims you can adjust the height.

There has always been a lot of variation in comb height on factory stocks. The lowest one I have (on a rifle designed for scope use) is on a T/C Encore synthetic "Pro-hunter". I'm a standard size guy and pretty much mount and hold in normal ways. No way could I get any cheek weld with that stock. Beartooth system cured that.
YMMV

Lol. I see savage came out with an Accu fit riser...

Lots of great choices

I’ve got a couple of those Beartooth risers. They are comfortable, kind of a pain to install. They also make removing the bolt a bit of a challenge but you can push the riser off to the side to get it done. Both of mine have stitching coming loose already which I’m not to impressed with. The Bradley is a good looking rig.

Matt got it done this morning
b564a76efc2ddb75bd29e45c39bd2cd7.file

Back