Finally pulled the trigger

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Ordered a Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine in 41 Mag last night.

Been eyeing them for a while, thought it'd make a nice companion for the 41 Mag Blackhawk.

Found a reasonable deal on Gunbroker... Free shipping, no sales tax.... so it'll come to $670 after my FFL's transfer fee.

Can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Really thinking hard about one of these, hope you keep us up to date on how it performs.

Got the Henry today....

First production line rifle I've bought in a lot of years that I can't find a single thing wrong with it cosmetically.... fit and finish are excellent all over.

The trigger breaks at about 4 pounds, clean and crisp... no takeup, no creep.

I fired 10 rounds...5 each of 2 different handloads just over the chrono, no targets.

My hunting load that I use in the 6.5" Blackhawk, 210 XTP over a stiff dose of Accurate 4100...it gives 1,500 fps in the pistol, and 1,725 fps in the 16.5" Henry.

The other is my steel banging load for the Blackhawk...210 XTP over a moderate dose of Unique...it gives 1200 fps in the Blackhawk, and 1,350 fps in the Henry.

Gonna do the sight in and accuracy work Sunday afternoon.

Congratulations on the new rifle. The Henry Big Boy is a pretty nice rifle and the 41 Mag is a cool round.

JD338

Aging eyes...

I can't focus on the front sight on that short barrel... didn't want to scope it, but I'm gonna have to. If it had a 24 inch barrel I could use the irons, but I got the short barrel for a reason.

I have ordered a Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20 for it...I strongly considered a VX2 fixed 4x and the VX2 Ultralight 2.5x20 but the 4x is just too much for fast shooting up close (the primary purpose for this rifle), and the 2.5x isn't really enough for seeing horns properly in a group of deer.

So...at 1.5x shooting with both eyes open is possible... and at 5x one can look over the options (multiple deer) and make sure you're aiming at the right one.

I don't much like scopes on lever actions, but the time comes when there's no way around it.

I had originally planned to hunt with Hornady 210 grain XTP's, mostly because I have a decent supply on hand, but I've decided to use the 210 grain Swift A-Frame for hunting.

The 41 Mag carbine is spitting 210 grain bullets out at near 1,800 fps... the A-Frame is the only non lead and non monolithic handgun bullet that can stand up to that velocity for hunting purposes.

Bullet tests of both the XTP and the A-Frame to follow when I get back home...if I have enough jugs.

I'll use the XTP's for range time and coyote popping, and the A-Frames for any big game I go after.

On that note...

With all the states that now allow straight walled rounds for deer hunting, maybe Nosler is missing a newly emerging market for Partition Handgun bullets?

I would use Partitions if they were available, but the current Sporting Handgun bullets are not an option at 1,800 fps...

Lots of people using handgun caliber carbines lately.

I expect other states to eventually limit big game rounds too, as places get more and more populated.

Sounds like a nice rifle...I've been looking at one of their 45-70s for a while now.

I thought Nosler made a .44 in the Partition "Gold" at one point..but .41 is hard enough to come by.

hodgeman":1e2gjgg2 said:
Sounds like a nice rifle...I've been looking at one of their 45-70s for a while now.

I thought Nosler made a .44 in the Partition "Gold" at one point..but .41 is hard enough to come by.
They have offered handgun partitions in the past, not sure exactly what calibers though....

I sure would like to see them offer a 220 grain 41 caliber handgun Partition... maybe even a 240 for the 41!

I know 210 is the popular weight for that round, but I'd like to see the sectional density up around .187 or more.

At 240 grains it could shed the nose and still weigh 210 grains.

There are no flies on the Henry rifles... I'm completely happy with it... I'll put up some pictures when I get home and get the scope mounted on it.... its got some pretty dang nice wood on it, almost too pretty to hunt with but I'm gonna do it anyway because that's what I got it for, lol.

Ridgerunner665":1hvr12jg said:
Ordered a Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine in 41 Mag last night.

Been eyeing them for a while, thought it'd make a nice companion for the 41 Mag Blackhawk.

Found a reasonable deal on Gunbroker... Free shipping, no sales tax.... so it'll come to $670 after my FFL's transfer fee.

Can't wait to try it out!

Oh, that'll be fun! CL

Nice choice on the scope. It will cover anything you would use the rifle for. The PT Gold was offered in .357 180 gr, .429 250 gr, .451 260 gr HP and 300 he SP.
Yeah, I sure wish Nosler would reintroduce that line. Great bullets!

JD338

JD338":3czgwti0 said:
Nice choice on the scope. It will cover anything you would use the rifle for. The PT Gold was offered in .357 180 gr, .429 250 gr, .451 260 gr HP and 300 he SP.
Yeah, I sure wish Nosler would reintroduce that line. Great bullets!

JD338
Love that scope.... got it mounted today... perfect fit on that little rifle.

Looks really nice, love the looks of the carbine with the big lever loop. If Henry doesn't make a single shot 41 I may need to buy a lever gun just like yours.

I might even get back into bear hunting, if I can find someone to take the meat.

Back