Weatherby Vanguard S2 user reviews?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I would like to hear from any of you guys that use or have used the Vanguard S2? I understand it has an adjustable, two stage trigger? Did you have to add some bedding or did you keep it stock? Thanks.

I bought for Dad a few years ago. I swapped it into a Boyd's thumbhole stock, bedded it, and we gave it to him for his birthday as he was looking for a good rifle in 270 Win.

It's probably the only Vanguard I haven't swapped triggers on, as the two stage is nice if you don't mind the change in function compared to a single stage.

I've had excellent success with my original Vanguards, and would have no hesitation to buy an S2 version.

While I've never owned the vanguard, I have two howa rifles which is the same barreled action. Two most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've had a few Vanguards and/or Howas...very good quality rifles that just plain work. Howa's machining is as good as anyone in the world.

I never changed anything on any of mine. Just scoped them and shot them.

We have a few Vanguard 2 - I'm impressed with them. I did put mine in a B&C Stock and changed the trigger but it shoots great. No complaints.

What torque setting for the receiver screws or do you guys just gorilla tighten them?

preacher":3baig89l said:
What torque setting for the receiver screws or do you guys just gorilla tighten them?
35"# front
35"# rear
Drop rifle on butt a couple times .
65"# front .
65"# rear

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've used 65 "# on riflestocks that were "pillar bedded", but that seems a bit much for this factory unbedded synthetic. Am I wrong?

On my howa's which one was pillar bedded, and the other in a B&C stock with aluminum block. I had my best accuracy at 50 in-lbs for both screws in both rifles.

I plan on using it stock, at first, see if it "wants to shoot". If it does, I can always have it tweaked. 25yrs ago, I tried a Vanguard in 243 and even tweaked, it was about 1 1/4". OK, but didn't blow my skirt up. That's when I sprung for the dough and bought that first 240W a Mark V Ultralight Accumark. It was a whole new experience for a flat shooting 6mm on deer/exotics! I gave it to my Pastor down there as about that time I was gearing up for South Africa ( 35 Whelen AI). Now, this S2 is said by many to be a much better rifle than 25yrs ago! :)

Hope so. I had a custom Howa ( I like Howa actions) actioned, 338 RUM ( Lazzaroni inline magazine)in a butt ugly Boyds laminate that a Timney trigger. It was pure posion with handloaded Nosler 180 BTs going 3500fps! :) I sold it to the outfitter...too ugly for me...:) Not really, it was gifted to me, yet the man offered me $1300 for it....so...I got permission from the friend who gave it to me ( we had really traded a bunch of stuff to each other, but he threw in the RUM...he thought it was ugly too! ha)

I bought a 240 wby from Fotis and car as I know, its bone stock. The trigger is good out of the box. I dont mind 2 stage triggers at all. It is a 1/2-3/4 MOA rifle with my 87g VMAX handloads. I'm looking at another one in a 6.5-300 WBY. Can't beat em for a $500 rifle IMO.

Thanks Remingtonman- I grew up with surplus military rifles, I don't mind them either. Glad to hear your 240W shoots so well. That's what I hope to get with mine!

Just got an email today that my rifle has been shipped! Getting jazzed about the 240! :)

Got the rifle in my hot little hands! I am impressed with the quality of fit and finish. The trigger is really nice, though I want to lighten it a bit, just to see if I can. It breaks clean and no creep or after travel! Factory! I will put the scope on it tonight or in a couple days.

Took the rifle apart tonight. Wiped her all down, backed off a full turn on the trigger adjustment. After tightening the nut as much as I dared, a put a drop of Loctitie on the edge of the screw/nut. Hopefully it won't vibrate loose. I then removed all the oil from the scope base screw holes and mounted the Redfield ( Leupold STD type for a Vanguard) bases, Leupold rings and a proven Burris 3x9 Ballistic Plex. I also removed the oil from the receiver screws/holes and applied Loctitie, torqued them down to 35 "#. Sweet, I like it so far!

This afternoon, I put some WipeOut in the bore, then cleaned it all out, ran some EezOx. Found a 6mm Boresnake I had hidden from myself ( or it could be a 6.5?) Anyhow, I really impressed with the quality of this rifle! I hope to shoot it before long...

preacher":10qbw2lz said:
This afternoon, I put some WipeOut in the bore, then cleaned it all out, ran some EezOx. Found a 6mm Boresnake I had hidden from myself ( or it could be a 6.5?) Anyhow, I really impressed with the quality of this rifle! I hope to shoot it before long...
Cant wait for you to report back your range trip. Those two stage triggers on the vanguard and howa 1500 really are great triggers.

Back