25-06....educate me please!

preacher":31cq6nh6 said:
So you guys don't carry handguns regularly when you hunt? Some folks do, some don't.

Seldom. Normally I figure my rifle is plenty. Sometimes though, I'll carry a handgun when I hunt.

Guy

The 25-06 was my first ever rifle. Killed a lot of deer and antelope with it and some varmints. Sadly I sold it but at least it is in great hands a very good friend's hands.

The only thing killing it is the 1:10 twist and lack of high BC bullets if you exclude Blackjack 131 gr high BC bullets.

35 Whelen":350ho5qq said:
This is one bad boy longrange hunting cartridge. Superb deer caliber for sure. Its a Dahl Sheeps worst
Enemy! Got a buddy that likes to kill Antelope out to
600yds with his......... And with the right varmit bullet
(90gr BlitzKings) It does things to a 45 lb coyote that
probably need to be seen to believe!
Buy the gun and become a believer yourself.
Here is ours ready for another season

Is that a 1903 Savage in the background?

FOTIS":1y7vgd79 said:
The only thing killing it is the 1:10 twist and lack of high BC bullets if you exclude Blackjack 131 gr high BC bullets.

This one is marked 1:9... not sure what that equates to in heavy for caliber bullets for this cartridge but 120s seem pretty normal for the 1:10s

FOTIS":hg7own97 said:

Double post.

5shot,
Yes that is an 03 that my Grandad bought new! A lot of us in our family all learned to shoot with it. All original with Lyman folding peep. I still have a bunch of his stuff, axes,packbaskets, snowshoes, knives, compass etc. Unfortunately his Savage 1899TD in .250/3000 was with him the nite he and his sport went thru the ice on Baskahgan Lk and has never been recovered.........neither survived. His name was same as mine. My grandmother carried on with our lodge with her brothers guiding. Two years later exactly to the day (Nov 20th) my great uncle was fatally shot by his sport..... His name was Everett.
I am named after both of them: Earle Everett......
Like the old Savage 03.. Lots of family history here.

I've owned several different calibers over the years and still do but the 25.06 is no doubt my favorite caliber. I've owned several different rifles chambered in 25.06 which were a Sendero, Rem 700 ADL, Rem 700 BDL, H&R single shot, Rem 700 Classic and my current rifle is a Rem 700 CDL which happens to be the one I cherish the most out of them all. I've shot just about every bullet out there with great results but my go to load for deer is the Speer 120gr Hot-Cor. I've used this combination for years with excellent results and it's been so consistent for me that at times I get bored with it. I play around with other bullets in the off season because that's what reloading does to us but when deer season approaches I find myself loading up those ole school 120gr Hot-Cors.

I don't think anyone would regret owning a 25.06 especially if deer sized game is on the menu. It's an accurate caliber that's fast, shoots flat with low recoil, and hits the target hard!

Guy Minor & 1100 Remington,
Fajen seemed to ALWAYS have great wood in stock. The loss of that company to the industry was a major loss to hunters wanting beautiful wood on their firearms.

Bbear":3irmbli9 said:
Guy Minor & 1100 Remington,
Fajen seemed to ALWAYS have great wood in stock. The loss of that company to the industry was a major loss to hunters wanting beautiful wood on their firearms.

Agree.

35 Whelen":1l644eqa said:
5shot,
Yes that is an 03 that my Grandad bought new! A lot of us in our family all learned to shoot with it. All original with Lyman folding peep. I still have a bunch of his stuff, axes,packbaskets, snowshoes, knives, compass etc. Unfortunately his Savage 1899TD in .250/3000 was with him the nite he and his sport went thru the ice on Baskahgan Lk and has never been recovered.........neither survived. His name was same as mine. My grandmother carried on with our lodge with her brothers guiding. Two years later exactly to the day (Nov 20th) my great uncle was fatally shot by his sport..... His name was Everett.
I am named after both of them: Earle Everett......
Like the old Savage 03.. Lots of family history here.

Thanks for sharing the story.

I had owned one for years but not currently. Dang fine round and wouldn’t hesitate on anything up to elk with a good bullet.

Here is a dandy full curl ram, that came up against the 25/06. The distance 415yds. North side of the Brooks Range The results; bang flop. Thats the norm for a 25/06
Screenshot_2019-11-03-04-34-39~2.png

I’ve seen four elk taken with the .25-06; 120gr partitions; 100-300 yards. Two dropped more or less right there, two that offered quarter away angles resulting in some tracking but ultimate recovery. I don’t own one, it’s on my short list, it is an impressive cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a newcomer to the .25-06, I’ve only had mine for sixteen years, but have now taken hundreds of red stags & hinds, roe deer, feral goats and fox using both 100gn Sierra Prohunter and 110gn AccuBond bullets.
It’s a brilliant cartridge for taking all quarry in the UK.
Never fails at the task, or to bring a big smile.

I’d never part with my Blaser K95 and together, we’ve taken some close to elk size stags at 320+ lbs. using the 110gn bullet. And at somewhat extended range too, though not 400yds.
It’s definitely up to the job (y)

You definitely have the hunting time with the 25-06 that many others will never get buddy!

Lol,
Well we have been very fortunate, that being a commercial pilot: Has taken us into some great hunting country over the years Scotty! Dahl Sheep are not hard to kill at all. A .243W works great on them. I shot some with my old 6.5x55 years ago and it worked fine as well. Both .270/25-06 will knock the
snot right out of them. (y)
Everyone wanted to bring 7mm RM/ 300WM up to Alaska to hunt them because they were scared of bears...........
About all that accomplished was lugging around an extra 2lbs up the mountain and trying to take much longer shots than they were capable in making.....
I had lots of hunters tell me they could make 5/700 yd shots that would try a shot and I would see smoke from a rock 50, feet from the animal..... :x
A .243 or 6mm would do fine out to 350yds. The 25/06 will work great out to 500. Even 600 with good shot placement. Jmho.
E
Here is a 38" Ram with a 30" tip to tip spread. Thats considered very wide for a Brooks Range Ram.20191211_225946~2.jpg

hodgeman":2t4x4zul said:
I've long considered myself a dedicated gun crank, but don't have much experience with the 25 cals except for a brief whirl with a .257WBY.

Local hook and bullet has a Barrett Fieldcraft in 25-06 that feels just fantastic and has a 1:9 twist. Frankly, if it were an 06 or .270...I'd have bought it straight out.

I know we've got some 25-06 fans hanging out here, please educate me!

So when you first posted this I didn't realize it comes with a 24" barrel with the 1:9 twist
All that weighing in at 5.75# all of the sudden I am getting very interested.
So did you end up buying it?

Back