17 hmr?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
A friend of mine is considering the 17 hmr for cormorane and heron around his fish-ponds.
I was wondering if those light, explosive bullets make it through the wings into the vitals out to 150y?
Background safety is one of his reasons, but I guess he could handle it with a varmint granate from his 223, too.
What do you think? I guess there is more experience on your side...
Cheers
Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Can't speak from personal experience on large birds or the 17 HMR...
I know that it has been used successfully on coyotes out to 150 yards. In the ear, dead right there, and in the lungs, they run off but expire quickly. And that is on a dog up to 40 lbs.
My experience is with its little brother the 17 Mach II. Same bullet but 400 fps slower. Killed a large lynx of almost 40 lbs at 42 yards with one shot to the spine. Dropped, and then kicked once.There was an exit wound.
The bullets are very explosive. They are safer than 22 caliber bullets as you do not get the ricochets.

Well - looks like he has to find out for himself...
Was worried that they might 'explode' on the wings with little reaching the vitals.
Will be mostly used for birds around the ponds

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Should work just fine, I shot a lot of coyotes and crows with 17g vmax bullets.

.17 HMR has worked very well on Prairie Dogs and I imagine it would do the same on birds.
I wish the Feds would take the restrictions off Red Tailed Hawks as there are to many and need to be thinned out. IMHO

Back