Flintlock Doe

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
I harvested this big Doe Thursday morning at 9 AM. She was 75 yards away and in shadow as the sun had not yet lit the woods. I hate to admit it but I made a bad shot hitting her high and left. I made a bad shot. Nothing else to really say about that.
The ball hit high causing a sporadic blood trail that averaged a 3/16" drop every 5 to 10 feet. Then she started running in a big half circle which caused me to lose the trail often and take the time to work it out and find it again. Still it took 2 hours to finally track her down.
She had run downhill. My ATV is on the blitz, I'm too old and beat up to try and drag her uphill, but I do have an old deer cart. It was tough going uphill in the thick woods but the cart finally got her out.
It was after dark before I got home.

I built this rifle 20 years ago to hunt elk and deer but never could draw the elk tag. She is a .54 caliber with a Colrane barrel, Siler large LH flintlock, single trigger and a maple stock. I shoot .530 patched roundballs pushed by 70 to 80 grains of 3fg.

SS850125.jpg

I always appreciate true sportsmanship. You stayed with the task until you got the job done. Congratulations, sir. Your work will ensure that the meat is sweetened by your diligence. Beautiful doe, by the way. And I must say, I love the flintlock. Looks like some great workmanship.

DrMike":2vm98ivd said:
I always appreciate true sportsmanship. You stayed with the task until you got the job done. Congratulations, sir. Your work will ensure that the meat is sweetened by your diligence. Beautiful doe, by the way. And I must say, I love the flintlock. Looks like some great workmanship.

Dr Mike said it all. Well done, and done right. You will have a meal to savor, memories and sore muscles to prove it. Congrats. CL

The sights on my rifle were off. I resighted the next day at 60 yards, the deer was further away than that so the shot impacted higher and more left.

Sight-check-2.jpg

Back