Steiner scope opinions

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I don't see Steiner talked about much , do any of you guys use a Steiner scope ? just wondering what your thoughts are on these . I've been looking for another scope and a Steiner GS3 seems to meet all the requirements , but I've never used one to know what the glass quality is like . I like good glass , low light performance is very important . thanks Jim

I'm 57 so were in the same boat .

that's the one I was thinking about . none of my local gun shops have Steiner , so I can't easily just go and look at one . it's also hard to tell much while not being in hunting conditions anyway . Euro optic is only a couple miles away from my sons house , it looks like I need to go for a visit . thanks for the info , I appreciate it . Jim

Steiner certainly has a great reputation. Never used one as they were not commonly available at any of the local stores. I would not have hesitated to buy them, if they had been available; reputation alone would have been enough to take the plunge.

I have this scope on my 26 Nosler MRC X2. It is fantastic glass and the S1 reticle is top notch. my dope card for the 142 ABLR factory load gets me to 785yds on the stadia no turret twisting or dialing. Burris bought them several years ago and they are now manufactured in Greeley CO. It is no lightweight for sure at a 24 oz but it is built like a tank. its a true 5x scope coatings are great and has one of best lifetime transferable warrantees. MSRP is $1200 but they can be had for around $750 on a lot of reputable sites(I got mine on a sale for $699 free shipping). Worth every penny!!!

is there another scope I should look at ? this will be put on a rifle that would be used as a carry rifle where I could get a shot in a split second , stand hunting , probably won't get shot past 500 or 600 yards when hunting a clear cut .

what I'd like is ;
great glass
about 2-4 power on the bottom
about 15-20 on the top
MOA
SFP
obj dia 50mm max
adj OBJ would be ok
no side focus
normal length
lighter weight / ( this Steiner at 24oz is about my limit )
BDC type reticle

Our local Sport shop, Jays Sporting Goods (Clare Michigan) (it’s bass pro / Cabelas size .. well the smaller ones).
It’s family run and all they guys working the counters hunt and shoot a lot. They have a bullet tech that gets sent to the various manufacturers for bullet training. All that to add, they took a pile of scopes out at dusk for low light testing. Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, Zeiss, Swarovski, Steiner etc etc. they picked the Steiner Gs3 as the last scope to stop hunting. Unanimous. Mostly older guys, a few younger once’s too. Granted that’s not scientific. At that price point you’re in fine company.
My sons M70 300WSM has a 3-10 Zeiss Conquest. I haven’t hunted it, but for sure, it has glass that a lot of folks would enjoy. My Leupold HD5 on my 3006 is pretty nice too.

For sure look at the Steiner. Compare it to other great scopes and it will make you that much happier with whatever you buy.

I really like mine.

If you find yourself in Michigan. I’d be happy to let you shoot mine with the Steiner, and I could bring the Zeiss and 300wsm as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbires":1xzuktgl said:
is there another scope I should look at ? this will be put on a rifle that would be used as a carry rifle where I could get a shot in a split second , stand hunting , probably won't get shot past 500 or 600 yards when hunting a clear cut .

what I'd like is ;
great glass
about 2-4 power on the bottom
about 15-20 on the top
MOA
SFP
obj dia 50mm max
adj OBJ would be ok
no side focus
normal length
lighter weight / ( this Steiner at 24oz is about my limit )
BDC type reticle

What about tube size? here is a couple for 1"

This is close to what you are looking for but has a side focus, and at 24oz

https://www.sportoptics.com/zeiss-hd5-5226319981.aspx

you can also find a Swarovski Z3 in 4-12 x 50 that is under 15oz and doesn't have a side focus or adj obj
https://www.sportoptics.com/swarovski-z ... 59026.aspx

tube size don't matter as long as the weight is good . I have a vx6 2-12 that I really like ,and I would buy another one , but I'd like a little more than 12 on the high end .

I'm assuming the tactical crowd is driving how scopes are being built . it seems just about everything is being built with side focus . I guess there is a want for this , but how about just some plain ole hunting scopes .

thanks for the suggestions . Jim

The difference between the 1” tube and 30mm tube is how many MOA you can adjust the scope elevation and windage. For long shots, the 30mm can have some advantage.

I’m told no real advantage for more light... not sure I believe that .. I do get the more room for adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringing this one back up . I bought the Steiner scope a month ago . it seems like a nice scope , so far I like it . Steiner had a promo on this scope for a neoprene scope cover and my choice of a set of rings . the cover came quickly , but still no rings . I'm anxious to get this thing shooting . today I went to the local gun shop and bought a cheap set of rings . I know I'll probably be sorry , but it's all they had . got it mounted up and I think I'm ready for a trip to the range .

P1110875.JPG

Back