Rem 700 270 win 160gr PT

jeepinhntr

Beginner
Nov 3, 2019
Hey guys new here. I just went out shooting and I have a 22" barreled 1-10" twist Remington 700 I have originally loaded 150gr ABLR with 58.5 gr H4831SC and they shoot sub moa and am very happy with them. However, my wife has a buffalo tag and I was thinking of stepping up to a 160gr Partition. So I loaded some up and I varied the powder (H4831SC) from 53gr to 57.5gr in .5 increments and loaded bullets to 3.34" (Nosler load data C.O.A.L.) with winchester WLR primers all brass is fire formed to chamber and resized neck and trimmed to length. So I went out a shot them and needless to say they dont like my gun. I had a hard time putting 5 in a 12" paper at 100 yards and it was the same with each powder charge. I did not have my chronograph with me to check velocity but I did not have any excessive pressure signs. I let barrel cool before each load of 5 shots. Bullets were making clean holes in paper so I dont believe they are tumbling. After none would group I shot 3 of my ABLR and what do ya know 3 bullets touching. Looking for some insight I know I should play with seat depth/jump just wasnt sure what you guys think may be my issue. I am a fairly new reloader (2 years) but I like todo some research and find what works best. And do I even need to go to the 160 partitions or should I just stay with the 150 ABLR that shoots great? Thanks to all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I can’t say I’d mess with the 160’s myself. If I wanted a tougher bullet the 150 Partition is a beast in a 270. No reason in my opinion to just an extra 10 grains if they shoot for you. If the 150 ABLRs are shooting that well for you I’d probably just keep running them. They might not go as deep but I’d bet if you keep them on ribs I can’t see a buffalo or anything getting away from you, ever.

Welcome to the forum.

I can't tell you why the 160 gr PT doesn't group for you but that doesn't sound good and obviously the rifle is fine since it shoots your other load well. I would also agree the 150 gr ABLR should work just fine if you get her to shoot it in the ribs.

Oddly enough the 160 gr PT has been one of the most accurate bullets in my 270's including a 1 in 10 twist Rem 700 I used to have. A different powder might work if you still have some bullets to try but maybe not either.

gerry":3pzw3eor said:
Welcome to the forum.

I can't tell you why the 160 gr PT doesn't group for you but that doesn't sound good and obviously the rifle is fine since it shoots your other load well. I would also agree the 150 gr ABLR should work just fine if you get her to shoot it in the ribs.

Oddly enough the 160 gr PT has been one of the most accurate bullets in my 270's including a 1 in 10 twist Rem 700 I used to have. A different powder might work if you still have some bullets to try but maybe not either.
Thanks for the Input I'm just gonna stick with the ABLR for now since her hunt starts in 3 days. I'll gave to try RL19/22 and play with seat depth and hopefully they'll shoot

Sounds as if you've received good advice to stick with the 150 grain ABLR. It will doe everything you could hope to accomplish with the 160 grain bullet. I have to wonder whether your wife has another option to use on her hunt. While I have no doubt that the 270 Win will take down a bison, I tend to prefer a bullet with a larger frontal area and more mass moving at high velocity. I do understand how time can creep up on us and necessitate making decisions we might not otherwise prefer. Just my take.

DrMike":2gp9qzls said:
Sounds as if you've received good advice to stick with the 150 grain ABLR. It will doe everything you could hope to accomplish with the 160 grain bullet. I have to wonder whether your wife has another option to use on her hunt. While I have no doubt that the 270 Win will take down a bison, I tend to prefer a bullet with a larger frontal area and more mass moving at high velocity. I do understand how time can creep up on us and necessitate making decisions we might not otherwise prefer. Just my take.
I was also going to bring my father's ruger m77 in 300 win shooting 180gr accubonds but she hasnt had good luck in the past shooting bigger unfamiliar guns for a specific 1 time use. She is used to her compact 700 .243 and my 270 is an identical gun with same scope and she can bust jug after jug at 500 yards plus with each gun so hense why she wants to shoot the 270.

I understand her rationale. Again, I have no doubt that the 270 Win will work. Encourage her to pick her shot and keep shooting until the bison is down.

DrMike":14owe6m8 said:
I understand her rationale. Again, I have no doubt that the 270 Win will work. Encourage her to pick her shot and keep shooting until the bison is down.
That's what I've been telling her just keep shooting until I say stop haha thanks again I'll be keeping you guys updated on how it goes

Bullet weight is good , but best is accuracy. Putting the bullet where it counts. The 150 ABLR or even a 150
Owner point will do their job if they hit where you want them to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back