Weatherby Vanguard S2 user reviews?

I'm impressed to "all get out", ha. I hate that lever on the Savage trigger as they can get hung up.

Bummer. Finally got tot he range today. Had a proven Burris 3x9 on it. A known accurate load with Hunter/87 Hornady HP. 1 3/4-2" for 8 rds after zero. Rifle wanted to jam/not feed just as cartridge made it halfway up the feed ramp, had to jiggle the bolt to feed. Now, that new trigger was wonderful! Crisp! The proverbial breaking glass rod kind. I took it and sold it. I don't want to spend any more money trying to make a brand new rifle "work". I just wanted to try one, and I really like the 240 Wby, my favorite 6mm! I'll wait and have one made up from scratch or buy something similar to the CA Mesa. I just thought it would be a step up from the Mossberg/RA/Savage throw away rifles....:(

I've never had that happen with any Vanguard, and I own several.

Did it do that before you took it apart?

Too late now if you already sold it, so I won't throw out any more diagnostics. However, I'll suggest it was likely fixable with little effort.

When I got it, the action screws were basically "finger tight", very loose. I only torqued them ( after wiping everything down in disassembly) to factory spec of 35#. It, of course, had full barrel/forearm contact, but I've had Mod 700 synthetics the same way, shot just fine. The rifle not liking that particular load was OK, I understand that, the feeding issue was a turn off. Since I already had a .270 being tweaked at the gunsmith, I was just trying to find an affordable rifle that shot well w/o any gunsmithing. Now, I know I could have had my very capable smith fix it, but I just "thinned the herd", so to speak. I've been totally satisfied with the 110s out of several .270s for the stuff I would actually use the 240Wby for! so, redundancy came into play. Its just "loonism", ha. I would not have kept the rifle long anyhow, even it had been a tack driver, but that's what my experiment was about, just to settle my curiosity. I had bought it, also, before I found the Mark X .270 Cavalier. So I figured the Mark X would be a better candidate for "rebarreling" if it didn't shoot for me. No knock on any Vanguard, this was quality, and sometimes even quality doesn't cut it. :)

Back