Favorite 7mm08 deer load.

walkinhorseman":25o7j6g1 said:
desertcj":25o7j6g1 said:
That's funny. With RL16, I was able to push 140gr E-tips to a 2990fps avg in a 22" barrel. 2850fps was more accurate and that was at 50gr.
Let me correct myself. 47.5/RL26 got me 2830 but that is half way up the neck. I'm shooting 46.0 at 2770 because the precision is better in the H-S there. Your 2990 seems pretty aggressive to me. How many losds do you get on that brass?

What brand of brass? Barrel and COAL? I am using Lapua brass and a long drop tube.

RL26? I thought you were talking about RL16. I am talking about RL16. Win brass, 22" barrel, 2.8"oal. Brass has been loaded 3-4 times.

desertcj":23nulco7 said:
walkinhorseman":23nulco7 said:
desertcj":23nulco7 said:
That's funny. With RL16, I was able to push 140gr E-tips to a 2990fps avg in a 22" barrel. 2850fps was more accurate and that was at 50gr.
Let me correct myself. 47.5/RL26 got me 2830 but that is half way up the neck. I'm shooting 46.0 at 2770 because the precision is better in the H-S there. Your 2990 seems pretty aggressive to me. How many losds do you get on that brass?

What brand of brass? Barrel and COAL? I am using Lapua brass and a long drop tube.

RL26? I thought you were talking about RL16. I am talking about RL16. Win brass, 22" barrel, 2.8"oal. Brass has been loaded 3-4 times.

CJ , sorry about taking so long to get back to this thread. I wanted to take the time to diligently research my response and make the post from my computer keyboard to avoid typos from a touch screen..
Yes, I am referring to RL-16, not 26. My mistake.
So, here are some points that I would like to make about your claim of velocity achieved with RL-16 and a 140 grain bullet.
First, I took three brands of 7-08 brass , Lapua, Remington and Nosler, and filled them to overflow out of the top of the neck using a long drop tube funnel. The most that I could get in the case (fired) at overflow is 52.5 gr in the Nosler and 51.4 in the other two. I had tried 47.5 gr in my tests but that was well into the neck and the compression was excessive. According to Quickload, your 50 grain load is 121% fill ratio and yields 86,682 psi where the MAP for the 7-08 is 60,191 psi. .and. that’s for the 140 E-tip. It’s not very likely that you got 50 grains of powder in a 7-08 SAMMI case.
Alliants’ data for the 140 Partition states 47.2 gr of RL-16 yields 2952 fps out of a 24” barrel. Running Alliants’ data on Quickload, gives 108%/ 59,534 psi/ 2983 fps. Considering the variables that are specific to the Alliant test platform such as the powder lot and chamber characteristics, I think the Quickload prediction has good fidelity. The Alliant data at 47.2 comes in just under SAMMI MAP for the 7-08.
In my H-S chamber and 22” barrel, I backed off from the 47.5 grains because of pressure indications. I use a blade micrometer on the first firing of new brass to mic the case head for expansion. My 46.0 grains yields ~0’0004-0.0005” expansion, whereas the 47.5 gr load was closer to a full 0.001”. That 0.001” is considered maximum pressure expansion for the case head at full pressure.
Out of all of the 7-08’s that I have had, 2800 fps with the 140 grain bullets seemed to be prudently achievable. The Sako AII was sub-MOA at 2825 fps and that made me happy. However, it took 48 grains of 760 and a 9-1/2M to get there. I used an Oehler 35P for my velocity measurements until recently and have stepped up to the Labradar. My Nosler 48, 24” barrel” was sub-MOA with IMR-4350 and just over 2800 fps.
Looking into the Nosler manual, they are listing velocities of 2922 fps and 2953 fps with RL19 and Big Game respectively. But that is also out of a 26” barrel. IMR-4350 has been such a versatile and strong performer for me in a number of calibers that I bought it in 8 # cans. The same Nosler Manual data shows a case full of IMR-4350 gives the best accuracy for that powder whereas RL-19 and Big Game gave the best accuracy at lower than maximum velocities. Being the old Curmudgeon that I am and resistant to change, I think I’ll stick with my tried and true 760 and IMR-4350 in the 7-08. I do have an 8# jug of H4350 that I will probably test in the H-S to see how that does. My venture into RL-16 was because I had it and it is billed as being temperature tolerant.
wvbuckbuster, earlier in this thread I stated that I don’t like posting my loads because no two rifles will demonstrate the same max chamber pressure for any given bullet powder combination. You seem savvy enough to read between the lines here and take a sensible approach to your loading. In this post I have presented data from traceable sources that pretty much conclude that in a standard 7-08 case with a 140 grain bullet seated at a 2.80” magazine length, 47.2 grains of RL-16 is pretty much the common sense limit. Maybe if you had an Ackley Improved chamber in a long action and a chamber throated to seat the bullets no deeper than the base of the neck, you could use 50 grains of RL-16. Nosler data says that you are probably on the right track with your Big Game testing.

I can assure you that I did in fact put up to 51.5gr of RL16 in a Winchester 7mm-08 case with a 140gr E-tip. In fact, I took a picture while loading them. I would have tried 52gr, but I don't think it would fit. Like I said, 50gr was the most accurate load and it was 2863fps avg. I started with charges that were lower and worked up. Different lots maybe? Just stating my data, your mileage may vary...

Attachments

• 20180312_181114_1576714641523.jpg
    20180312_181114_1576714641523.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 706
I want to thank everyone that shared their loads. I hope I haven't caused feathers to be ruffled . Desertcj I thank you for your confidence in me and I assure you I take great pains to carefully make safe loads. As for me I load and shoot what is the most accurate and doesn't have to be the fastest as long as it is safe. Sure I like for loads to be close to the max listed but not worried if it isn't. Thanks again everyone, Dan.

wvbuckbuster":1tl6a3wf said:
I want to thank everyone that shared their loads. I hope I haven't caused feathers to be ruffled . Desertcj I thank you for your confidence in me and I assure you I take great pains to carefully make safe loads. As for me I load and shoot what is the most accurate and doesn't have to be the fastest as long as it is safe. Sure I like for loads to be close to the max listed but not worried if it isn't. Thanks again everyone, Dan.
I meant to say walkinghorseman. I understand not wanting to post an actual load but it comes with understanding that it is safe in your gun and needs to be worked up to. Thanks, Dan.

I recorded 2.155" ogive to base. Best I can tell is that works out to 2.892" oal. I don't currently have any loaded ammo so I had to measure a bullet(140gr E-tip of course).

pharmseller":1686yqk7 said:
Looks crunchy.

For sure. It works for 140gr, but I'm of the opinion that it's on the edge of being too slow burning. I think it could be really good with 160gr though...

Most accurate and deadliest on whitetail for me was a max charge of W760 CCI 250 and a Speer 145 gr BTSP. This was out of a Rem 700 CDL 24” barrel. I shot probably a dozen or so deer with that load and they all dropped on the spot or within fifteen feet. Nothing too far, maybe 200 yards. Must be one of those perfect impact speed for the bullet situations. That bullet works well in my 280 on deer.

Don't own a 7-08 but load for one. 139 Hornady SST's, 41.6 gr's of Varget, CCI 200 primers, and I believe that was with Winchester brass. That load shot pretty consistently in the 5's at 100 yds and always seemed to be under 3/4" in a standard 22" barreled M700. The last test I did with it I have it marked at .573 from a cold bore. Accounted for several deer this past yr. Loaded at a magazine length of 2.800, in that gun that was .080 off the lands.

Never had great accuracy with Barnes but I have an 18” barreled Borden that really likes 43gr Varget and a 120 TTSX at 2.80 which is a .040 jump in this chamber. Very consistent, no chrono data yet.

wvbuckbuster":3ch7fdkw said:
wvbuckbuster":3ch7fdkw said:
I meant to say walkinghorseman. I understand not wanting to post an actual load but it comes with understanding that it is safe in your gun and needs to be worked up to. Thanks, Dan.
Dan, no reason for you to apologize. It was I and -cj that flamed your post. This forum has a cadre of members that have credible field experience and can be trusted for their honesty. I salute those members. With that being said, I apologize to you and will reserve further comment.

Barnes 120 tsx 44gr varget @2.800 win brass with whatever large rifle primer no difference in accuracy it has been shoot by at least half a dozen rifles and is consistently m.o.a my wife’s model 7 stainless shoots 3/4 in groups with it and has killed ever whitetail she has pulled the trigger on including this 173in Georgia giant
f79f94f8fccbbf5a019de4a6d10b147d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump.270 that is a really nice buck your wife got. I have tried some of the loads that was shared. Big Game has worked the best so far with Nosler 140 AB Varget with Nosler 120. IMR4350 is showing promise with the Nosler 140 BT. Haven't tried anything else lately. At some point I hope to try those Barnes. Thanks, Dan.

Stump.270, welcome aboard. That is a trophy whitetail wherever one might wish to hunt. Your wife has every reason to smile with that fine trophy to her credit. Thanks for posting.

Mine is currently shooting 140 e-tips.

Federal case, H 4895 to right around 2700fps. WLR, I think it's 2.775"
It shoots right around 1" from my M-70 featherweight. I've cooked up more accurate loads using accubonds and ballistic tips, but am feeling pretty good about shooting lead-free these days.

Brinky72":3r3nogxj said:
Most accurate and deadliest on whitetail for me was a max charge of W760 CCI 250 and a Speer 145 gr BTSP. This was out of a Rem 700 CDL 24” barrel. I shot probably a dozen or so deer with that load and they all dropped on the spot or within fifteen feet. Nothing too far, maybe 200 yards. Must be one of those perfect impact speed for the bullet situations. That bullet works well in my 280 on deer.

Brinky, You're not the first person I've heard with good reports on that bullet. I'm curious what speeds you're running. You stated a maximum charge of 760, but is that using Hodgdon, or Speer data? Hodgdon lists 46 gr maximum at 2788. Speer's data is significantly different showing 49 gr's at 2920.

Brinky72":1bictqg5 said:

The Speer 145gr BTSP is what I use in the 7mm-08 and 280 as well but different powder I use H 4350 The 7mm-08 has taken a fair number of deer both whitetail and mulie along with a few elk with that load. Tried many of the other bullets mentioned but have gone back to the speer.

Back