Finally gave in

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Well i finally clicked buy on a zeiss hd5 3-15x50. Ive been kicking it around for quite awhile to put on my Sako grey wolf in 260rem. Decided it would be my birthday present to myself. Now i will rotate a few around and be set for a little while. Or better be anyway...can't wait for it to come in, and i hope i beat my wife home that day.

that should be a good choice of scope , let us know how you like it . I've only used the 3-9x40 conquest scopes . I still say they were the best buy out there for a normal distance hunting rifle hunting rifle .

Well an update i just purchased a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 to replace the ziess. The ziess glass was was great but didn't like the reticle(xhair thickness mostly) and weight, im going to hold on to it and put it on something else some day, maybe something light that needs a little extra weight, or one thats not getting carried alot.
First off when shooting at the range the 1"bull is almost totally covered by the crosshairs and thats at 12-14power and 100yds. Second is the weight being its a hunting rifle and already heavily enough with the laminate stock, this Z3 is 10oz lighter. And also really didn't need anything over 12 power big game hunting

My son has a Zeiss Conquest on his Winchester 300 WSM and it sure is a nice scope! I think you will like it a lot.

What reticle do you have on your Zeiss hd5 3-15x50? The weight at 25 oz doesn't seem that bad compared to many other scopes in this class, but I would agree that a reticle that obscures the target is not a good thing. I have always been interested in Zeiss as they have a good price point so truly am interested in more detail from your experience.

Whitesheep":386dho1c said:
What reticle do you have on your Zeiss hd5 3-15x50? The weight at 25 oz doesn't seem that bad compared to many other scopes in this class, but I would agree that a reticle that obscures the target is not a good thing. I have always been interested in Zeiss as they have a good price point so truly am interested in more detail from your experience.

Hey Whitesheep
It is the RZ600 reticle, which was nice when utilizing the Zeiss app on my phone will give you the yardage for each holdover at any given magnification. Granted this was my first experience with a reticle that wasn't just a plex so I found it a little confusing, and found myself thinking too much when I was hunting worrying about the power it was at and which hold over to use, second guessing myself in the heat of the moment. I just really need to use it more and would probably do fine, and thats why I'm keeping it for something else. The only time I noticed the cross hairs being thick was when I was at the range, so for shooting/hunting at moderate ranges or larger sized targets it wouldn't be an issue, not a varmint scope at all. I'm also trying to lighten up this rifle to keep myself talked out of another one(sacrilegious I know). So really just a combo of not being used to it and wanting something different rather then anything wrong with the scope itself.
Yes for the price I don't think you can go wrong, think they are down to 650 now for HD5 at sportoptics. If the local shop here wasn't running 20% all optics last week I probably wouldn't have picked up the swaro to replace it.

Thanks for the intel Slimfinn. I am a Leupold guy and have both the Boone & Crockett and Varmint reticles. I like the Varmint one better because of the very thin "wires." The B&C is good for shorter ranges like you said is true for the RZ600. Once you get the holds down both are fast to use, but it takes some time to prove out the actual ranges. In my experience the manual is just a starting point. Leupold does appropriately state you must prove the ranges before using the lower stadia on game.

It is always nice to have a good scope in the safe ready for that next gun sale.

Back