Ruger #1

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
So I’ve been procrastinating to no avail. Been trying to decide on which cartridge to select hoping one would be available at under a grand. It’s not happening.
.257 Roberts
6.5 Sweed.
7x57
One of these need to move in here, they are available on Gun Broker for about the same price, they are all a couple hundred more than I wanted to pay and I’ve been watching since late September, seem to be priced right in the market. I can’t buy all three. Which one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7x57, would make for a nice classic combination

I’d be in the 6.5 Or 7x57 camp myself. I love the little 6.5 Swede myself. Should be even slicker in a single shot.

Any of them. :grin:

They're all great, classic, cartridges!

Hmm. Not much help, am I?

Guy

Not much Guy, not much. I don’t have anything in a 7mm. Might have to look at that.

I have a custom 725 Rem in 257 Rob and it is unbelievably accurate it has killed anything that I wanted to kill with it from rodents to big white tails.
I use to use it in heavy brush where I would only have a small space to put a bullet threw. It will get the job done.
So guess which one I would buy.

Since you don't have a 7mm, 7x57 would be a great choice that you can hunt deer, bear ànd elk with.

JD338

My next one will be a 6.5x55...so that gets my vote!
Already have one in 257 Roberts LOL

You didn't mention the barrel length. If it has a 26" tube I'd jump on the .257. Always wanted one, but too few chances to get one. The long tube would let you really get all out of the 257 that you could possibly hope for.

If it's 22'-24" I'd grab the 7X57. You don't have a 7mm now. I've never been without at least one for the past 50 yrs. (7X57, 7-08, 7RM)

I’ve never owned a 7. Just about everything else up to .577 nitro. I have moms old 722 in 257 Roberts, I have a 6.5 creedmore, just looked in the safe again no 7 anything. Hmmm, there are a couple of light sporters on the auction guess it’ll be a 7x57

I'd be happy as a clam with a good 7x57.. Awesome cartridge and just a bunch of fun to work with. Using modern powders and starting with 7-08 data wakes it up quite alot.

I have a #1AB in 7x57 and love it! That said I would also love to have a #1AB or #1A in 6.5x55.

The Ruger #1 I want is one of those limited run S" models in .275 Rigby. I also would like one of the .35 Whelens as well. I have one in 7x57, the "A" model and it has a 22" barrel. My 257 Roberts is on a "B" model and has a 26" barrel. Both are accurate shooters. I like the #1s but prices lately are I feel a bit out of line.
Paul B.

You can't really miss here...

I'd think a .275 Rigby would be hard to beat :grin:

Well, I have two in 7x57 and an RSI model in 6.5x55. All three are good shooters, with one of the 7x57’s being spooky accurate with Speer 145 boat tail bullets. I say grab a 7x57:)

Back