Coyote elimination.....

Had a couple of visitors last nite that stopped by to dine.
I decided to keep them around. Neither of them approve of
a 25/06. They are 31/34 lbs respectively. They both loved our deer steaks.......IMG_20200115_154509346.jpg

Waiting patiently for my next customer! Because we have to do most of our shooting in the middle of the nite; I thought some may like to see our set up. The light is a red
Superbrite LED from Wicked Lights of Australia. Of course
the rifle is a tuned Model 700 Remington; stock is Boyd's new All in One with adjustable grips forends and comb.
The mission should one decide to take it is: total elimination of our local coyote population! (Not likely)
E
IMG_20200117_180352329.jpg
And just for perspective the distance from the bait back to the house. IMG_20200115_152436260.jpg
That's exactly 300 yds off the Lazer range finder.

Next customer just arrived this morning! Got to shoot in broad daylight........ Tooooo easy!
Still out on the ice; pic later....
Still -8 below zero out there.IMG_4805.jpg
E
IMG_20200118_141909845.jpg
43lb Male/160lb deer.

Really nice set up Earl!

Looks like your yotes eat well, might fine Coates on the last two posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a beautiful Silver backed female, that was hooked up with the male from this morning, she returned later, looking for him. They are togeather once
again; via my Tikka 6.5/55. The 90gr Varmagettons at 3200fps
works perfect! IMG_20200118_142155036.jpg
Cartwheeled her instantly; nice report back off the side of her; with no exit hole. She absorbed ALL the energy the bullet had........ I think that load is a keeper!

So very considerate of you to keep the family together, Earle! :lol: She is a lovely creature, posed as she is. Good job. (y)

Good job on thinning the herd! Thanks for the update on the 6.5x55 Will have to give that one a try. Dan.

Thanks for all the kind words, and we will certainly post
em as we get them! And Dan; try that new bullet and let
Us all know how it works for you. Of course shooting ONE
coyote, is not much of an evaluation of a bullets true merit.
But I was really was totally impressed; with how it dispatched that one! :wink:

A good yote is a dead yote and business is good in your neck of the woods keep pouring the lead to "em''!!!!

Way to go buddy. It looks like you’re getting after them! Glad those bullets are crushing them!

Small one came in at 1:35 last nite ....... Wind was howling
pretty good. I have an annomometer on both sides of the point I live on .They both show highest gusts over last 15 min, plus current wind values. The one direction neither can register with absolute accuracy is from about 335/350 degrees. Because of the trees defusing the wind
before it reaches the sensors
They avg seamed to be about 16kts direct X wind. Strelok
App says 10/11 clicks into the wind should be correct for that
wind. So I adjusted the scope 10 clicks, and let one fly at a 20lb coyote facing me head on; Missed him clean !!! He kicked in all 4 afterburners on the way outta Dodge!
Got to thinking about it; and put on my boots and headlamp and walked out onto the ice bout 75 yds, with my handheld gauge. I was now seeing the true velocity, about 19/20 steady with gusts up to 26kts......
The true correct hold was actually more like 14/15 clicks ....
Screenshot_2020-02-01-01-27-59.png
So a 20lb coyote standing face on at 300yds presenting only
his chest was not enough area when your 4 clicks out!!!
That is an easy shot for me in broad daylight with NO wind.But proved to tough for me with bad wind info.
Maybe he will be back???????? In conclusion: I miss em too, Hey keeps ya on your toes, 4 clicks off just don't work
Here is where I could have simply held instead of dailing off.Screenshot_2020-02-01-01-28-20.png

Yes it is Dan,
However I have killed them many times with much more
wind; but they were all standing full broadside to me. Of course they are normally hit "downwind" from where I was trying to hit them........
I have shot Foxes in the chest out there at 300yds, and lots of crows; but it really needs to be flat calm to do it consistantly..........

I love it ! get mine with number 3 bridgers. Did get one with a 180 tip in the .300 in deer season. never miss the opportunity to take a predator....

So I finally decided to try the 85 Nosler BT Varmit in the
25/06, to see how it compares to the 90gr BlitzKing that I am sooooo fond of. Made poor shot on this one, tooo far back. She took off like a rocket but only made it 20 yds. Unfortunately the bullet entered back by hip and went diagonally out thru front of guts, so really poor shot placement. I was surprised a Varmit bullet would go Thru at this velocity over 3600fps........... So not sure what to think about this bullet. I have shot lots of them with the BK and hardly ever see exit holes........ So can only assume the jacket must be thicker than the .011 thickness on the 90 gr BK?????IMG_20200211_072118356.jpg
IMG_20200211_082425827.jpg

Looks like it worked though. She didn’t get too far away.

Running that through the calculator it hit at 300 yards around 2600 FPS after the 3600 start. Probably acted much tougher at that distance and Noslers have that thick base which exits more often than a Sierra or Hornady of similar weight. We’ve shot a few deer with 50 grain BTs outta 222’s and had them make it thru the chest.

Neat stuff E. What’s the tally so far?

That's a half dozen Scotty, should have been 7 if I had dailed in enough correction into the wind that day. From the amount of tracks around should wind up with 10/Dozen by time season is over mid April.
Your theory on why the Nosler exited sounds "spot on" to
me Scotty, thanks for sharing that information.
This does sorta debunk this theory that was floated
around, that the BT Varmit is just a Varmagetton with
a boatail, I don't see that as being a fact, and it more duplicates what I used to see from Hornady Vmax bullets,
Of course most bullets will work, but I prefer instant kills,
And bullets that explode about 3/4 of the way thru.
I bet these BT V's would probably work ok on a deer if that's all you had. Maybe Nosler will make a 90 Varmagetton for the .257 like they did the .264. ????
The 6.5 and that bullet seam to work perfectly on a 30 lb
animal at 300 yds..........
So I will try one more time with the 85gr Nosler, but if I get
another "run off"....... :evil: I will be ordering another box of the tried and true, 90gr BlitzKings.

Back