Arizona Coues hunt

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
My brother and I just returned from our first Az Coues hunt. The travel was terrible with snow packed roads but the hunting was really fun!

We both managed to find bucks we are really happy with.

Cory Shot his buck at 325 yards with his 270 WSM and 150 gr. SST. One shot right thru the heart and he piled up about 10 yards away.

I shot my buck at 565 with my 270 Win Using 150 grain ballistic tip handloads. I recovered one of the bullets that entered behind the last rib and was lodged under the hide in front of the shoulder on the offside.

What an amazing experience hunting a very cool animal!
e7fa8f7c0f4262edf82f7274ff48bd95.jpg
61bae74ef6faaa1e72850067cc8be995.jpg

Congratulations on your Course deer bucks. What part of AZ did you hunt?

JD338

For sure, that is a couple of fine looking Coues Deer. Congratulations to each of you.

Guy Miner":2s5f573w said:
Congrats! And that was a long danged shot. Well done.

Guy

Thank you! I grew up a bow hunter and am used to killing animals using feet as a distance! My last three rifle kills are all over 500. I’m thankful for quality equipment and practice which helps me when closing the distance is not really an option.

I shot him twice but the second shot was not necessary. He was just about to fall.

Very nice hunt. Looks like pretty country and those are nice bucks. Some darn fine shooting as well. Congratulations!

Back