Browning BBR

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Anybody have one of these in any caliber?

I recently picked one up in .270, it needs a scope but already have some test loads worked up with 130 grain Pro Hunters and H4831SC.

Anyone know much about them? It’s my first Browning rifle and so far I’m loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have only ever handled and shot a friend's BBR in 338 Win Mag. Nice rifle that shoots very well.
These were Japanese made rifles from '78 to '84, and predecessor to the A- Bolt.
Like the A Bolts, they have the magazine that attaches to the hinged floor plate.
They had a heavier barrel profile and the actions are steel and not an alloy, and are not as light a rifle as the A Bolts.
The bolts have a 9 lug lock up system and apparently had a steel brace in the barrel channel.
The stocks were of better quality wood than the A Bolts and they also had (or some did have) rosewood fore end and grip caps.
These factors made it an expensive to produce firearm.
Nice rifles...almost purchased one myself way back when...but held of as it was not left handed.

I have owned a couple of Browning Medallions bolts actions in the past and found them to be a fine rifle. The last one was in the 375 Hurt & Hurt :wink:. It was likely the best all around calibre that I have ever owned, I shot every big animal available to hunt here in Saskatchewan and that is from Antelope to Moose and a few in-between.
As for the 270win calibre I have owned a 270win since I was 12 years old so that would be 53 years and would still likely shoot it exclusively except I followed Doctor's orders and branched out isn't that right Dr. Mike :lol:.
I know that all 270win junkies like to use 4831 powder but I have always been different and I use IMR4350 powder, along with only Nolser bullets first Partitions & now ABs and of course in only 1 weight 130gr.

Blessings,
Dan

Glad to see you're still hanging around, Dan. Don't blame me for your peculiar predilections. You made your own choices, and most of them pointed the bolt the wrong direction. If I tried to borrow one of your rifles, I would have to stand on my head to get the bolt to work right. Oh, yeah, the BBR was a fine rifle that most rifle cranks would be pleased to own.

Mike, please remember the 3 fine fellows that have tried to teach you the proper way to shoot a rifle. We have all had trouble trying to get you to understand that being left handed is a gift :mrgreen: !!
Anyways I am going to give you a call in the next while to catch up.
Blessing my Friend

I had two of the BBR one heavy wt. in 270 Win one light wt. in 25-06 Rem. Both well made but the 270 was more than I wanted to carry around and the 25-06 was traded for what I don't remember. The bolt was the same size on each just the barrel diameter was reduced. Both grouped well. Dan.

I have one in my safe in 257 Roberts. Neighbor loaned it to us, he wants my wife to try it out, we havent shot it much but it is a good looking rifle.

Back