Lookin for tips

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Hope all forum members have had a good start to the new year. It’s hard to believe that my oldest daughter is ABLR to do her hunter training this year in Alberta. Going to do the course and get her entered into the draw system.
I have had her shooting a cooey single shot at targets and gophers but it’s recently come to my attention she is left eye dominant, but right handed . She has been shooting RH but maybe not to full potential, do I keep here shooting RH or see if LH is more comfortable and maybe added accuracy? Open to any advice from people that may have had this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let her shoot left handed to see if it comes more naturally. Otherwise, you will need to teach her to shoot with the non dominant eye.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How about a right handed rifle with a scope? She can apparently adapt to shooting with her right eye, a scope should improve that.

I have an entire family of grandchildren (and a wife) who are left-eye dominant, though they are right-handed. Each now shoots with a left-handed rifle. Awkward for them, for about the first ten or so shots. Then, as accuracy increases dramatically they quickly demand left-handed rifles thereafter. I would consider the investment in a left-handed rifle to be a positive. Make certain she is comfortable shooting the Cooey with her dominant eye, and then move ahead with confidence.

Thanks for the replies, that’s what I was thinking aswell . I do have friends that have rifles with the bolt on the wrong side may have to borrow one and see how she does.. [emoji57]

Maybe a blr in 243? Or 7-08? And leave the 788 in 6 mm for one of the other kids??

I was the same way. It’s a lot easier to use your less dominant eye than try to shoot left handed proficiently if you’re right handed. Let her shoot how she’s comfortable. My dominant eye changed as I got older but I’m still right handed. I’ve practiced shooting left handed but still right side dominant.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. There is no good reason for a left eye dominant person to shoot from their weaker side, they will never be as good as they could be. Plenty on left hand guns out there these days and like you mentioned there are some great ambidextrous designs like the Browning BLR. I love the BLR and the same rifles have worked just as well for my RH friends that have tried them.

Two options.

1) patch over the left eye to strengthen the right during practice.

2) shoot left handed.

I took a black bear from a tree stand in 2018 left handed. I raised up and lined up 4 smaller bears and a barrel a couple times over 4 nights before shooting. When I finally did, it was automatic.

It’s a solvable challenge.

My daughter is left eye dominant and is shooting a right handed rifle She says she likes it that way when I Gabe her the option on getting a left handed model

Corey

My daughter is left eye dominant and is shooting a right handed rifle She says she likes it that way when I Gabe her the option on getting a left handed model

Corey

My elder son is left eye dominant and right handed. Well, when I found put, the hand wasn't decided ywt.
Since we shoot bare bow, I tested him before buying the first bpw.
He shoots rifles, shotgun and bows jeft, so he can use my equipment.
If she is not swttled on shooting right, get her a left handed gun.
I shoot right handed for practice and sometimes hunting. Since I am in a box stand most of the time, it helps if game shows up far left...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Yes, absolutely have her learn to shoot from her dominant eye side (left handed)! Using her dominant eye will net her the best results in developing skills and shooting form.
Yes, she can still use a right handed firearm, but may eventually prefer to use a left handed firearm.
I, and my wife, are right handed and left eye dominant. I highly recommend a left handed or left hand friendly firearm(s).

First, switch her over to shooting her Cooey left handed, so that she can get familiar with handling the firearm that she is already familiar with, from the left handed position, and using her dominant eye for sighting.
As mentioned above, she will find it awkward at first, but she will quickly realize an improvement in her shooting ability and accuracy from using her dominant eye for sighting and shooting.
As a youngster, she will pick this skill up quicker than an adult who has been shooting for years and has muscle memory set in, and usually a mindset that takes more time and practice to overcome.
She will also be able to focus on her target and sight while keeping both eyes open (or at least with her right eye slightly open), which help a lot in her field of view and depth perception. As she progresses to hunting and tracking moving targets/game/birds and learning to shoot at flying targets with a shotgun, her skills will be quickly picked up and improved upon.

Once she has become proficient in using her right handed Cooey left handed, you can have her try your friend's left handed firearms and see how she likes it. This too will take some time and practice to get used to using and operating the bolt on the left handed firearm. She will only be able to tell you after a period of time trying it as to which she prefers...but must make a concentrated effort over time to truly evaluate.
(I find most people try one or two shots and give up, without giving it enough time to or effort to make a good determination, and acquiring the muscle memory that will make it more comfortable. Key is to not over do it right away. Give it a few trys over a few days. And keep it fun...have her shoot balloons or other reactive targets that will keep her mind off the new practice and on the new target. If she is having fun and success, she will pick it up faster!)
A good example is my wife; she learned to shoot right handed as she is right handed. She did not know she was left eye dominant until she met me. She had some difficulty learning to shoot left handed with right handed firearms due to her muscle memory. But she was very pleased with her improvement in shooting accuracy when she tried shooting left handed! She does like shooting her right handed rifle from the bench left handed as she is more familiar operating the bolt with her right hand due to her previous experience. We will be moving her over to a left handed rifle so that she will become more proficient in the field. She loves shooting her Ruger No.1 in 250 Savage! She started shooting a bow left handed and has done very well right from the start, as she did not have to overcome that muscle memory and mindset.

If/When it is working for her (having fun, getting more comfortable from shooting from the left side and her accuracy and skill is improving), then look at finding her a left handed firearm that fits her and her abilities, and targeted game.

Remington makes left handed youth rifles, Savage also makes left handed rifles, as does Ruger, Tikka and Sako. The Ruger, Browning and Winchester single shot rifles come in many versions and cartridges that would be suitable for her, as does the Browning, Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles, although these are not left handed actions. Browning also offers the T-Bolt rimfire rifles in left handed.

Using quality factory ammunition and good firearms practices will mitigate most concerns over ruptured cases and rifle barrel incidents that are the main cause for concern that some have of using a right handed firearm , left handed.

Hope this helps!
And the best of luck for your daughter!

Excellent advice gents.. was the reassurance I was looking for.. when the weather warms up will start her trying left.

Like others, I'd recommend her learning to shoot left-handed. Absolutely nothing wrong with her shooting as a right-hander, but learning to shoot as a lefty givers her the option to shoot with both eyes open which is a huge plus in close quarters shooting and shotgunning. I'd be surprised if she struggles at all with the switch. (If you want to have some fun, learn to shoot left-handed with her.)

Back