.30 Nosler, 180gr AB, on elk at 676 yards

jjs405

Beginner
Dec 24, 2017
Blessed to get this guy this year ...

.30 Nosler
180gr AccuBond at 3196fps at the muzzle
676 yards (Estimated 2000fps at this range)
Just about 82" of drop at 3000 feet

First bullet didn't have that familiar "the-whack" sound when it hit & he just stood there, not even a flinch.

Second bullet had the "the-whack" sound & he just stood there again, not even a flinch, no step, no noise, nothing for about 5 seconds, then he wobbled & dropped. :grin:

Both slugs recovered on the opposite side hide, took out both lungs with the 2nd bullet. Looks like they lost about 18-19% of their weight when recovered.

Attachments

• Elk 02 - Copy.jpg
    Elk 02 - Copy.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Elk 01 - Copy.jpg
    Elk 01 - Copy.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Elk 00 - Copy.jpg
    Elk 00 - Copy.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 2,295
A fine bull, to be sure. He definitely had some maturity to him. Congratulations.

Glad you posted it here to add to the bullet testing and recovery section. Perfect performance, really like how the AccuBond is a great blend of toughness and excellent expansion.

Impressive!

Great bull. Darned good shooting. And wonderful bullet performance! (y)

Guy

Congratulations! what is your rifle and scope setup?

FOTIS":3cu1vcfu said:
Congratulations! what is your rifle and scope setup?

This particular rifle was the Nosler Model 48 Long Range with a Nightforce ATACR- 5-25x56mm. Shilen Match barrel, Accuracy 1st Anti-Cant scope level & a Bradley Adjustable cheek rest.

The scope was zoomed to 14x for this shot.

You have exceptional hearing! To be able to hear bullets at lower velocitys connecting to the dense fur
Of a big bull Elk at nearly 700yds! Must have been no wind at all? Looks like a darn nice bull, great shooting to be able to compensate for 82" of vertical
error! And the fact you did it all with less than 30/30
Energy in two shots is amazing.........
One thing that is for certain; is your all stocked up on venision for this winter. (y)
E

Nicely done. Congratulations on your bull and some mighty fine shooting. Those AB's look good.

JD338

Nice shooting buddy! Those recovered AB's look excellent and expansion was as better than I expected!

Great bull!

Nice Bull!
Accubonds are one of my favorite bullets for hunting

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a fine bull elk.
That hunt has memories in your head that will last a lifetime.

I shot a bull elk once, that did the same as yours, just stood there. I thought, I had to have hit him, so I gave him another. Then he moved and fell.

Just saying this. As others have said. Sometimes those elk are a little harder to put down. They're great at standing on their "feet" dead.

My thoughts, elk are best on the BB-Q

Take care.

Hammerdown":18kvzqvq said:
Congratulations on a fine bull elk.
That hunt has memories in your head that will last a lifetime.

I shot a bull elk once, that did the same as yours, just stood there. I thought, I had to have hit him, so I gave him another. Then he moved and fell.

Just saying this. As others have said. Sometimes those elk are a little harder to put down. They're great at standing on their "feet" dead.

My thoughts, elk are best on the BB-Q

Take care.
I never wait! I keep putting accurate shots into all game animals until they are down.You never know exactly where the bullet struck, how they're going to react,etc. It's the prudent and humane action to take.

Nice elk. Those bullets look just like the only AccuBond that I have ever recovered after shooting a good number of deer with them with the 130 gr from my 264 win mag. It was from a shot from stim to stern at 111 yards and was found against the smashed ball joint of the right ham. Bullet started out at 3350 fps and still had to be going over 3100 fps at impact. Weight was 87 gr recovered.

I know a fellow that has killed a good number of elk over the years with his 338 Win mag. He never had to shoot one more than once and they all dropped like a rock at the shot he said. He went to his favorite spot and out steps this big bull about 200 yards below him. He lines up his shot, boom, the elk does not even flinch so he shoots again. Again the elk does not even flinch and just walks off up the draw into the trees. He is sitting there dumfounded thinking that his scope got knocked off or something when from the direction the elk went here he comes again. He lines up his shot and boom and the elk hits the ground like a rock. He goes to the elk and starts his field dressing when his hunting partner comes to him from up the draw. First words out of his mouth are. "What are you going to do with that other one laying up the draw?" Thank goodness his buddy was the kind of fellow to pull his chestnuts out of the fire and tag the other elk as if he killed it. He had put two Nosler Partitions perfectly through the heart of the other elk and it walked off about 100 yards he said. Some of them are TOUGH.

1Shot - good story!

They had a lot of work ahead of them at that point, with two bull elk on the ground. And later, a lot of great meat in the freezer.

Guy

A while back I had a member ask if I had measured the frontal expansion & I had not. It took me a while to find them as I had "cleaned up" after last years hunt & now getting ready for this years hunt I found them.

I measured the expansion of the .30 Nosler 180gr AccuBond and they measured 0.575" and 0.629" - not too bad! Pics below.

.30 Nosler AB - 01.jpg

.30 Nosler AB - 02.jpg

gerry":44dr2htl said:
Glad you posted it here to add to the bullet testing and recovery section. Perfect performance, really like how the AccuBond is a great blend of toughness and excellent expansion.
I completely agree. I sure like the AccuBond. Great shot and a wonderful beautiful bull!

Back