Found me a donor

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I’ve been looking for a Magnum Length Classic for a little while for my next build. Happened to wander into my favorite store today and found this rifle. In really excellent condition and since 300 RUMs aren’t exactly a hot commodity in Southern Va they cut me a decent discount off the tag. It’s got a beautiful piece of wood on it and the metal looks great but honestly that’ll all probably get sold since I just need the action and I’ll recoup some funds for the rest of the build...

Buttttt, I may shoot it too—- ya know, just to check it out.

But... But... But... You never shoot the donor! Looks to be a good snag, Scott. (y)

Scotty, you might just end up with a 300 RUM and looking for another donor. Sounds like a great elk cartridge to me. :grin:

Well, the funny part is that I have already ordered a Krieger 2 contour 1-8 barrel for it. Been looking for a few months for a 300 RUM/375 H&H length donor. My plan is to send it off to Kevin Weaver and have him mill the action to accept Sunny Hill 3.8” magazine and bottom metal. I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 RUM I converted to AICS bottom metal that takes 3.775 COAL. Once I lengthened it out to accept the longer rounds it came alive with the longer bullets but being a Model 70 guy is tough. The CA rifle is excellent and very portable but just not a 70... so my hair brained idea is to make the 70 be about the same weight as the CA and I can have my beloved 70 in the RUM at about the same weight.

I actually like the stock a bunch. Great figure in it and if it was waterproofed and bedded I’m sure it would be great but the problem is it is short. I’ve really become fond of 14-14 1/4” LOP and would doesn’t add easily.

I still may shoot it and see what it does. I can’t help myself.

Nice score. Often times people get too much of a good thing - 300 RUM. It sets in the closet for a couple of decades then finds its way to the local hook and bullet along with 18 rounds left in the first box of ammo.

The Sunny Hill stuff is very good quality. I have their 1 piece bottom metal and follower on my M70 300 H&H build. Heavy. In stock configuration the rifle is over 9#.

Wyatts Outdoors makes a longer mag box and they are super good folks to deal with.

If I were going to do a M70 project out of house, it would go to Lee Christianson in Baldwin, WI. Reasonable rates, delivery times, and a very helpful gentleman.

Thanks GB. Lee’s a solid Smith but he won’t inlet for the Legends.

Great info on the Sunny Hill stuff. It’s excellent from all I’ve used.

Being a super grade that was a good buy any way you cut it. I wouldn't chop it up if it were me, but you know what they say about opinions. :lol:

Scotty,
That's going to be an awesome build. Krieger makes some super accurate barrels and good plan going with the 1:8 twist for the heavy weight/ high BC bullets.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new rifle when you get it home. What glass are you going to mount?

JD338

JD338":2q1hes23 said:
Scotty,
That's going to be an awesome build. Krieger makes some super accurate barrels and good plan going with the 1:8 twist for the heavy weight/ high BC bullets.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new rifle when you get it home. What glass are you going to mount?

JD338

Jim it’ll either get a SS 3x9 or a NF 2.5x10 likely. Not sure.

ST, I hear you about pulling it apart. Tugs at my heart strings a little but being the stock is too short and can’t really feed what I wanna shoot out of it I won’t cry too loud.

Nice... I still think about a 30-06 Super Grade now and again.

I do like your plan!

Scotty,
You are cracking me up! Like you need another project....
LoL. Your wife must be a saint??? Ah honey but I really really need this gun to shoot a cow elk if it's between 550 and 575 yds. If it's over 625 I will just use one of my other
Custom Magnums in a unique "improved" caliber only known, to a select few! Ha Ha.... And that standard 8 twist most certainly isn't going to shoot those big custom bullets nearly as well as a 7.75 twist would!!!! So I am guessing your also going to really need some hand made custom, one of a kind projectiles made for that barrel to "super tune" it in the end....??????? OMG had you ever considered
Just adding one of those beautiful slip on leather covered
pads; to bring the stock out to your favorite lop? Then taking the $3/4000 your going to bury into this project: and put that cash into a HUNT.???? Realistically will the build really do anything the "twist" it's in now; won't do ????
Ok ok I am only kidding, of course it makes perfect sense
to tear a factory Super Grade with "to die for wood" down
and convert it into a "SS" (Super Scotty) . This is going to be a cool project! It probably won't boost the economy as much as Bloomberg's TV ads, but could be close by time it's done???? Lol. Actually I am 100 percent behind a nice
build ( as long as we use YOUR cash) so I am on board now in your corner! So my first suggestion is because the
Muzzle blast is going to be so nasty, I know this really cool
shop in Germany that makes the ultimate Silencer's for large calibers, the workmanship is Rollex quality, according to which exotic metal you prefer; they start at $2500 but sooooo nice! Just something to think about, after the NF scope is secured!
This is going to be a GREAT project, soooo looking forward to how it shapes up,
All kidding aside "go for it big fella" I can't wait to see how it goes.
Best of luck on the project, your olde Bud,
E

Guy Miner":3gi6uuc9 said:

I do like your plan!
If I find a 30-06 Super Grade Guy I will do everything I can to test your will power!

Scotty that's a nice looking rifle. I think you should shoot it too before you go all crazy on it.

6mm Remington":3mucgmkh said:
Guy Miner":3mucgmkh said:

I do like your plan!
If I find a 30-06 Super Grade Guy I will do everything I can to test your will power!

Scotty that's a nice looking rifle. I think you should shoot it too before you go all crazy on it.

Will do! :lol:

Wow Scotty great find! I think you'll like having the faster twist. I've noticed a higher percentage of hits over guys running a 1:10" in their 300 NM at ELR targets, and some of these guys were better shooters than me!

Shooting cool stuff is an expensive hobby, but God only knows it's in our blood!

Back