Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:26 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How fast do beavers run?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:19 am 

There is a county road that runs along the north edge of our 20 acre pond. The beavers that inhabit the pond are frequently killed by automobiles on road. It seems that as soon as a family of beavers get established in the pond and/or swamp one of them gets hit by a vehicle. I don't see this amount of beaver road kill further up stream where the stream and other beaver ponds are near the road.

I don't know how fast beavers move on the ground but I just can't imagine a beaver "darting out" in front of a moving vehicle. Every time I see one of these road kills I wonder if the driver intentionally hit the animal.

Can anyone help me understand why so many beavers get hit by vehicles on this one stretch of road? Thank you.

Dan

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: How fast do beavers run?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:43 am 

Tough question, Dan. I can't imagine that they are targeted in that one stretch exclusively. If that were the case, then other animals crossing the road at other locations would be struck as often or nearly as often. What seems more likely to me is that the trees on the other side of the road are more tasty to the beavers. (This raises the question, "Why did the beaver cross the road?"). As to the speed with which a beaver can run, it ain't fast. I'm speaking after seeing quite a few of the critters out of the water and rearranging the landscape to accommodate their lifestyla.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:49 am 

What little I know is that they are usually nocturnal or at least in my area and that could be why they are hit on that stretch of road crossing it in the dark and getting hit because the driver doesn't see them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:42 am 

Yeah, Dr. Mike, I didn't think they ran that fast. Rodger, you are probably correct. Drivers just didn't see them in the dark.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:48 am 

We had a beaver out on the highway near where a bridge crossed the river one night. One of the deputies I was working with got a shovel out of the trunk of his car and tried to herd the beaver off the highway and back towards the river. The beaver was not having that and spun around and charged after him. He jumped up on the hood of his car to get away from those wicked teeth. I wish I was there at that moment to watch and possibly record for posterity! Anyway he gave up trying to herd this beaver as it was kind of like herding cats. About an hour later said beaver got hit by a car and killed.

The beaver wasn't all torn up and the pelt was certainly salvageable. We had one officer who would love to have a beaver pelt tanned that we knew about. So said beaver was taken over to his house, middle of the night mind you, and was placed on his front porch right in front of the main entry door. Mr. beaver was propped up, and in one front paw of Mr. beaver a Victim's - Witness handbook was carefully placed. Those pamphlets were obviously for victim's of crime and witnesses to said crime. The deputies wife was not very happy about it when she went to leave and opened the front door to this!

Still not sure how fast Mr. Beaver ran but according to the deputy he was pretty darn quick!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 pm 

I don't know how fast they run, but I do know they'll cover some ground on occasion. Found one out in the middle of the high mountain desert of SE Idaho about 25 years ago. Was early in the morning and he was headed north cross-county. Closest body of water to the south was the Snake River (about 20 miles to his south) and closest to the north would have been another 20 miles away. Watched him maintain his northerly pace for 10 minutes before we went our separate ways.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:19 pm 

As Jeff Foxworthy would say, "fast enough to bite the nipple off a redneck!" LOL

All kidding aside, they can move fairly quickly when they want to. Although not fast enough to escape some predators when out of the water.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS