Scenery - please post some of your favorite photos!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Taken on a backpacking hunt in the Entiat Mountains, a subset of the Cascades. Right here in Washington, not far from my home. Mountain goats and big mule deer can be found up here. Rugged terrain:

zSmUyLlh.jpg

Also in the Cascades and not far from home. The white peaks in the background are part of the Stuart Range - which has several "permanent" glaciers. Wonderful alpine country, and a Wilderness Area. My son is looking out over the area where we often hunt mule deer:

Sxt2K7Dh.jpg

Another shot, looking at the Stuart Range:

tJahZTbh.jpg

Few people hunt in the Stuart Range - it's tough - and it's also a very popular backpacking & mountain climbing area. There's some good fly fishing, but it's not known as a wonderful hunting area, though some big bucks and some big bears have been taken there.

Guy

Love the effect of the slow shutter speed with the moving water.

Do you recall the shutter speed used? It looks great!

Guy

Guy Miner":3ebws1wi said:
Love the effect of the slow shutter speed with the moving water.

Do you recall the shutter speed used? It looks great!

Guy

Thanks Guy I love to photograph streams. The metadata on this one shows exposure to be 0.4 sec at f22.

Bruce

Just FYI the last one with the extremely blurred water was 15sec @ f22

Bruce

Bruce - those are amazing!

I'm going to slow things down and give it a try. (y)

David, I switched to Imgur when photobucket went crazy a few years ago. It's easy-peasy even for an old retired cop like me. :grin:

Guy

Thank Guy.
A couple of tips that you may or may not already be aware of. Go at daybreak or shortly after or an overcast or even rainy day. It keeps the highlights in the whitewater from blowing out. Use a circular polarizer. It will help with the colors a little and it will remove the reflection from the top of the water giving it depth and color. Use a small f-stop and focus closer to you letting the depth-of-field do the work for you. When there are near foreground items like rocks in the stream or something of interest I will focus on it, sometimes only a few (5-10) feet away and use f22. If I crop with the bottom of the frame a little farther out, say 15-20 ft I will also try f16 and f11. I usually have the camera set on either manual or for streams more often Aperture priority. Watch your histogram and expose for the highlights. In aperture mode that sometimes means using a negitave 1/3 to 1 1/3 stop setting.

Bruce

Wow! Thanks for the tips Bruce. I was going to just wing it, but now I've got some guidance.

(y)

Guy

Guy Miner":34712qpz said:
Wow! Thanks for the tips Bruce. I was going to just wing it, but now I've got some guidance.

(y)

Guy

You're Welcome, Two other thing that you probably know but might help those getting started. With those slow shutter speeds a good tripod is a must and a cable or IR release is a big help.
Winging it can work too sometimes. That is the cool thing about digital. It doesn't cost anything extra to play around.

Bruce

No kidding re that advantage of the digital. I remember being very stingy with my 35mm film, unwilling to try for some shots, unwilling to buy a lot of film. Best I could do to economize back then was to shoot mostly color slides, and only have the better shots printed as 5x7's or 8x10's.

With the digital? Oh, want to shoot 300 photos this morning? Okay. :grin:

Some are likely to be decent. That's my blind squirrel theory of photography, even I find an acorn now and then.

Guy

A few quick shots taken with my cell phone while elk hunting ... the moon was a low tech shot using my cell phone held up to my bino's :grin:

Elk Hunt 01.jpg

Elk Hunt 02.jpg

Cool. :) (y)

I've been doing some moon photos that are coming out pretty well for being hand-held. I'm normally bracing myself against the fence or pergola and getting stuff like this:

SjLLMTdh.jpg

But... not all is as it seems. :grin:

I take my best moon photos in daylight. Either early in the day or late in the day, as the daylight is weak, but the moon is up. That way I'm able to use "normal" shutter speeds, of say, 1/250th of a second, and maybe f 6.7 or so...

Yes, the sky was blue when I took that photo.

The photos come out pretty sharp, and look like I took them with the black sky of night... A trick I stumbled upon.

Guy

Here are a few taken in RMNP on our last trip to Estes Park CO. in 2011.

Sunrise at Bear Lake.

Waterfall in RMNP (I can't remember the name)

Lake in RMNP. There is a lake there named Lilly Lake but I Think this is a different lake.

Back